The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I got to play one of Jim Tozier's Rainsongs when he stayed with us for a couple days. I loved the utility of the material and the playablility and tone of it. Unfortunately, when he was selling it to buy something else, I couldn't afford it at the time or it would be here next to me right now.

I played the CA guitars a number of years ago in Houston... I want to say it was at Rockin' Robin, but the memory is somewhat cloudy. (Store with surfboards as you enter and practically a museum of equipment on high wall shelves)

I had never played a graphite guitar up to that time and they WAY surpassed my expectations of what was expected from that material. It was more woody sounding than some wood guitars I've played.

I feel of the less traditional woods or graphite as an alternative to the more traditional guitar materials, graphite will be the eventual leader, if the price can be reduced so it is more affordable to the masses.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
Just out of curiosity, is the rainsong completely resistent to humidity factors? For example, could I leave it in my car, without a case in -40 degrees celcius weather overnight? would it still be fine? What about submerging it in water?
There's a video on RainSong's Face Book page of a scientist playing a RainSong at, and on, the South Pole, by rubbing its strings against the pole marker as he goes around the world, playing the guitar!

RainSong At The South Pole Video:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....omments&ref=mf

RainSong Face Book:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodin...rs/90141541720

Let me say that a player should treat an all-graphite or composite guitar the same as they would a fine all-wooden guitar except they don't have to humidify it. Could you submerge an all-graphite or composite guitar in water for a short time, dry it off, and suffer no problems? I suppose you could but you'd ruin the electronics, if so equipped, and maybe the tuners too. Are there other structural components that could be compromised in doing such a thing? Perhaps, but I'd never do this to any guitar regardless of its structural materials. Regarding temperature, an all-graphite or composite guitar is comprised of not only carbon fiber and, if a composite, carbon fiber and glass fiber, but these materials are cured using resin and some guitar structures are held in place using either glue alone or a combination of bolts and glue, not unlike many fine all-wood guitars. If the temperature exceeds a certain maximum, separation of components could take place or at least component creep could occur.

Carbon fiber and composite guitars can also be punctured by a sharp object with enough force behind it but so can wood. Given a blunter force striking the guitar, a carbon or composite guitar may just shed-off the blow with perhaps only a finish mar but an all-solid-wood guitar may have a cracked or caved-in top, back or side. Also, it's just plain silly to think you can throw a carbon guitar twenty feet into the air and have it land on pavement and have the same guitar as you did before the act. So what does all this mean? It means that given the normal range of physical and weather-related occurrences that a guitar goes or can go through, an all-graphite or composite guitar is more durable and will be likely less-affected, negatively, than would be an all-solid-wood guitar. A player should always treat a carbon or composite guitar as they would a fine all-solid-wood guitar. I do and always will.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Default tone question

We all know that wooden guitars vary in tone from one to the other. Even within the same model the experienced buyer (player) will play each one the store has before making his choice. If anyone has had the experience of playing 2 or more Rainsongs of the same model side by side, did they sound exactly the same?
and a couple acoustsic guitars
need time to learn how to play them well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber