The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, Bob - haven't referenced this thread for a while...

Unfortunately I have no way of measuring the string spacing at the nut with the degree of precision required by us hardcore guitar junkies, but I can tell you the overall width is the same 1.72" used on the Seagull S6 Slim and Rustic Entourage models as well as the Godin 5th Avenue acoustic, so if you've played any of those recently - or can access them at a nearby shop - you'll know exactly what to expect. Similarly, if the neck carve/width is OK but the string spacing is not, it's no big deal to have any competent tech make up a new nut to your requirements - I had it done recently with my Epiphone Ultra 339 and it really makes a world of difference...
Old 05-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Steve. Very logical advice!
-Bob
Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 PM

Default Question

Bob,

As far as the action and string gauge on an archtop, you're a bit misguided. You don't need 12 gauge strings on an archtop. Many players use 11's and I've known players that use the 10.5 - 50 gauge. It's up to you and whatever feels comfortable to you as a player, and although a heavier gauge will definitely will give you a fatter, thicker tone, it is not a rule or a requirement. Regarding the action, it is the same deal, whatever feels most comfortable to you! If you have a heavy attack when you play, you might want it a little higher but otherwise, you can have it as low as the strings will allow.

Cheers,
Arnie..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops