The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Default Back Constrution 2 or 3 piece

Planning on purchasing my first Martin in the not to distant future I am looking at either a D28 or D35, maybe even a D18. Whatever I can find at the time when it comes. I am hoping to find a good well aged dread rather than new. I noticed that some D35's have three piece backs and most if not all D28', D18's and all the D45's I have seen have 2 piece backs. Is there any benefit of one over the other whether tonal qualities, built strength or other?

Thanks for your response.

Taylor DN3E - -Gone but not forgotten
Martin D28 - Fishman Matrix Infinity
Takamine EG341SC - My Camping Companion

Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM

HI This same question was asked to BOB TAYLOR in the spring edition of Taylor magazine....HIs answer was that the 3 piece back has no differnt tonal quality than a 2 piece back.... In the Martins the 3 piece back is on the D 35 and the hd 35. The 15 ...16.....18...28....hd 28 and 45 are all 2 piece The only difference in the build is the 35s have thinner top bracing letting the top vibrate more (giving more lows ) THE 3 piece backs can be visually stunning with difference in grain and color My 02 cents rcoolz
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

How about my favorite Martin? The new CS35. This back is wow. There is "noise influence" off the back and even IMO the sides. The back is so much more about reflecting sound than vibration of wood. Remember, that body sits pretty firm against you.
I think of reflectance as the smaller amount of spice that changes the dynamic of the sound. Me? First - I put sound influence in bracing, second - the guitarist, third -the back, fourth - the top below the sound hole, fifth - the upper top, 6th the sides. I would love to hear others order with explanation.

BTW- its a Martin stock photo, I didn't shoot the photo. Mine wouldn't have caught the background in the reflection
Man!and. I would love to do the photo's for Mr. Martin
Old 04-16-2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks Guys. That clears it up for me and I wasn't aware the 35 had a thinner top..hmmm. I'm thinking I like the 35 more now...

Taylor DN3E - -Gone but not forgotten
Martin D28 - Fishman Matrix Infinity
Takamine EG341SC - My Camping Companion

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair