The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
and how would one repair top impact damage in a small section of a doubled top?

[/SIZE][/color]
Mash it together with some glue, color match it with a sharpie, and remember the sad day.

Glen
Old 12-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Where's nomex grow?

I offer my opinion about doable tops based entirely on my experience with nylon stringed models.
First of all there are many ways to build x2 tops.
Not all of these involve Nomex. To start off with I would never have a Nomex version done I will tell you why if you need to know later.

I have found that on a classical guitar (pictures on thread called True Temperament Carlos Pina written about a month ago) that was recently finished it seems to do severl things:

1 increase sustain noticeably. (I can say this because I have tested identical builds x2 and single tops) This is and advantage for playing things very slowly however its not as useful in performing fast moving music (Flamenco)

2 Reduce responsiveness if the guitar is made out of over thick wood it will be more so it is possible with some bracing designs to have about the same responsiveness as a single top.

3 Turns the guitar into a sort of one trick pony. If the tops come apart you will need serious repair work.

4 Ads some mass to the guitar. this depends on your preference but I like extremely light guitars that are highly responsive.

5can you say Loud really really loud

I will give you more information later is necessary.

All that said I would still have a doable top made and obviously own one. (I also awn allot of other guitars.)

Would I make it my only guitar? in my case yes.

Would I rather have something else made instead ? Yes because there are other bracing ideas involving multiple tops and the like that are far superior to Nomex

As a side note I have my doable top braced with wood no Nomex.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop