The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 AM

I find the silence as very strange as well. Employees have posted on other sights, happy to give information of the guitars but not on what happened. All I can say it must not be good.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Hey There, I am new to the forum. Thinking about buying a GX HG or Tobacco Sunburst Bluegrass Legacy, having never played either. Can you you give me a comparison of the two?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:09 PM

The GX is probably their best overall balanced guitar. Deep bodied enough to get a good bass. Modern design for maximum access up the neck. They didn't make a lot of Tobacco burst Legacies. I have one and it is a good overall guitar. I love the look of the burst on a legacy, few people will know its a carbon guitar. You can't go wrong with either, more a decision of what style you like, and the rarity of the burst Legacy.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedhenry View Post
Hey There, I am new to the forum. Thinking about buying a GX HG or Tobacco Sunburst Bluegrass Legacy, having never played either. Can you you give me a comparison of the two?

I suggest starting a new thread with your two CA models in the subject header...otherwise folks may feel that the topic is referring to the original subject header.

Just a thought...but you may get a more direct response with a new thread.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 PM

I played a Rainsong WS1000N2 today, and was very surprised what a nice tone it had. It had D'Addario lights on it, and it played beautifully. I also amplified at Guitar Center and was even more surprised how good it sounded.

I'm heading over to Kramsters house tomorrow to play some Emeralds and some of his CA Cargos. I think there is some merit to these CF guitars as I have to say, traveling with my beautiful Voyage Air is a bit nerve racking as I am a freak about humidifying my guitars. The lack of worry around this with CF guitars is really nice.

I have played the Emerald Guitars before and the size and comfort of these are hard to beat. However, I did just hear from LA Guitars that there is an issue with the X7, I do not know the specifics, but my understanding is that Alistair is addressing it.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 11-18-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Default Peavey

I'm pretty sure I read on the CF forum that Peavey will supposedly show and/or announce their Composite Acoustics line at winter NAMM. It'll be very interesting how the guitars compare to the original CAs, quality, price, etc.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Default Where is Mr. Seal of CA

From what I have been reading it seems that Mr. Seal is a great man from a great company. So, where is he now? I do hope he is still involved with guitars and still has a shirt dispite his loses.

Lafayette
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 AM

So when Peavey purchased CA Cargo, did they purchase all the tooling, equipment, etc to manufacture the guitars? Or will they change it up and put their own spin on it?

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
I did just hear from LA Guitars that there is an issue with the X7, I do not know the specifics, but my understanding is that Ian is addressing it.
To be clear there has been only one X7 with a problem that I'm aware of. These guitars are shipped with 11's but the client installed 13's which were a bit much for the very thin top. Others have been using mediums without problems so it looks like this might have been an isolated incident.

As for Peavey, they can do anything they want with the name but when I spoke to them back in August I was told they hired a couple of the guys from the original factory and were in the process of learning how to build the guitars. I was also told all models will be offered and they will be built here in the US. They are planning a CA display at winter NAMM which could be new guitars or a collection of leftover inventory from Lafayette, but we will at least see what models they plan to offer and at what price.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM

It is sad. I was the first CA dealer in Canada - since before the restructuring. I think they are great guitars. I have them hanging right beside the Bourgeois and Thompson guitars. I still prefer a good wood guitar, but for a touring musician not to consider a CA, he should give his head a shake. Particularly in Western Canada or the Prairie States where it can get bitterly cold and lethal to fine guitars.

I just sold my second last Cargo this week and will not sell the last one. :-)
I am also considering keeping the full size guitars I have. They are pretty neat instruments. - But my wife will probably make me sell them. :-)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Tarpman,

Thank you so much for the clarification on the issue with the X7. This is good to hear that it was a unique situation, and not one affecting all of the models.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

The thing I greatly admired about CA is they actually came up with new shape designs. Instead of trying to make their instruments look the same as everything else on the market.
If you look at a cargo it's shape is quite radically different, not many guitars you can say that about in the acoustic world. The added benefit being that it works. I may not have admired the design quite as much if it sounded like doo doo but as most of know , they don't sound half bad.
I think guitars will miss having people who think a little out of the box.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Well It is great to see A CA post still going. I have owned a Bluegrass Performer as well as a CA OX Raw. I ended up selling the Bluegrass to a fellow forum member to purchase the OX. The only reason I did was that was having problems with tendonitis, so I wanted a smaller body guitar.
The Bluegrass was a great guitar, having a little more bass than the OX. I cant say enough positive about it. It was an older one with the 1 11/16 nut. I do however prefer the smaller body of the OX, and am learning to love the cutaway. The OX doesnt give up anything tonewise, and is also a loud guitar. It is probably the most comfortable OM size guitar I have played. It is definitely a keeper. From what Ive seen you cant go wrong with any of the CA guitars. I am excited to see what Peavey will do with the brand. Price wise I dont see how they can compete since they were always very underpriced. This was great for me as a buyer probably not so great for the company. I mean the OX which Ellis Seal called his favorite guitar (at under $1000) was one of the greatest steals to me of all time. It will be interesting to see what happens.
And once again a big thanks to all the former CA employees who helped put out a great guitar, and gave me incredible customer service throught the years. You were truly the best!!! Patrick
Old 11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jazz View Post
... I still prefer a good wood guitar, but for a touring musician not to consider a CA, he should give his head a shake. Particularly in Western Canada or the Prairie States where it can get bitterly cold and lethal to fine guitars.
Hi Dr. J…

I think the niche the carbon fiber guitars fill beyond a few hobbiests, and traveling musicians is the 'extreme environmental' areas and players who live or work there.

Jungle, arctic, antarctic, island dwellers all battle the temperature and humidity gremlins, and carbon fiber guitars really do work better there.

CA guitars were as good as any other carbon fibers I played.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 PM

I've had 3 different CA models and though they were very good, they weren't great. If I lived in the tropics, antarctica, or the desert thay might be great. But I don't so wood it is for me!

IN reference to the original post, I do think if a company like Gibson were to go out of business it would hit the industry and music scene VERY hard. Much more of a "hole" would be left. Had it not been for the Nashville flood and a huge settlement, we might be left with that hole too. IRS troubles to the tune of half mil, caught importing wood in less than ethical or legal manner. Not to mention the guy running Gibson. My local music store (mom and pop but easily as big or bigger than your average guitar center) recently told Gibson to stuff it and stopped carrying their guitars, again.

In an attempt to stay on topic, the CA Legacy I had was the best of the 3.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber