The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 04:06 PM

Default Martin guitar repair suggestions?

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a luthier around Toronto canada that can take a look at my martin hd28. Ive had the guitar for about 4 years now and it seems like its slowly losing its wow factor/life.

Ive always had it hanging on the wall in my room but because of my lack of caring for it (optimizing humid) its developed a belly near the bridge, there's hairline cracks in the clear coat, there's fret buzzing and tends to lose its tuning within minutes of playing.

I remember when I first bought it and hearing it being played, I was blown away, just trying to get that back

Any suggestions on a good luthier would be greatly appreciated

Also if you can suggest things that should be done to the guitar to help with the situation, just so I have an idea of what needs to be done would be greatly appreciated as well
Old 03-07-2024, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

The Twelfth Fret is in Toronto. In the meantime, I would keep the guitar in its case with some sort of humidification (Oasis, Humidipaks, homemade sponge-in-perforated-Ziiplock bag, etc.), with a hygrometer to measure humidity (aim for 40 - 45% RH). Some of the body distortion may resolve itself by being properly humidified. Hard to say what else could be going on. Can you tell if the bridge is lifting (by slipping a piece of paper under the bridge)? I would also take the tension off of the strings as a precaution until you can get the guitar checked out.

Last edited by sinistral; 03-08-2024 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:32 PM

Swelling could be caused by to much humidity.

Your guitar in the case all the time or out? Try relaxing the strings and leave it in the case for a while to dry out. Just a suggestion.
Gibson SJ200
Old 03-08-2024, 07:36 AM

My choice would be the 12th Fret, I’m not sure they have in-house luthiers anymore but their techs specialize in restoration. This is a higher end guitar and an expensive wall hanger. You say you’ve had it for 4 years but your description of the condition makes it sound older.
Just another thought, have someone play it for you. We get used to sounds and tone in our own hands. You just may hear the wow again.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-08-2024, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Was the wall hanger on an outside wall or interior wall?
Old 03-08-2024, 05:56 PM

First and fore most I would find out what the relative humidity is where you keep your guitar. Buy a Hygrometer, I think this is one of the more accurate ones " Thermopro " Google it, there inexpensive and worth their weight in gold to maintain proper RH for the health of your instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion