The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 01:06 PM

You remove the pin so when the bottom gets bumped it doesn't split the end block....(and the sides)
Old 03-07-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
From what? Dropping guitars? Most of my acoustics don’t plug in- Martin and Collings, my Gibson has a no-jack as the pickup was removed.
All end pins are snug and trouble free.
I don’t ship with them installed and I ask sellers to pull the endpins prior to shipping as that can crack the end block.
Yes. It happens all the time. Ask any repairperson that's been around a while and you'll hear the whole gamut of injuries from headstock fractures to body cracks caused as a result of a guitar being dropped.

If you strap a guitar from a tapered end pin you're taking a risk. If that's acceptable is a decision every owner makes. It's only after the fact that you hear "I didn't think that tapered pin would come out..."

If using a strap is part of your playing regimen then opting for a more secure method of attachment increases the odds that your instrument isn't going to come to an early demise.

If one doesn't use a strap (or have an installed pickup) then the discussion doesn't really pertain to that player.

On my main acoustic that I gig with I opt to use Dunlop Straplok recessed fittings at both the heel and end of body that secure the Straploks. I haven't dropped a guitar yet, but I've only got 60 years of playing behind me.

They get used on almost all of my guitars of any persuasion.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-07-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes. It happens all the time. Ask any repairperson that's been around a while and you'll hear the whole gamut of injuries from headstock fractures to body cracks caused as a result of a guitar being dropped.

If you strap a guitar from a tapered end pin you're taking a risk. If that's acceptable is a decision every owner makes. It's only after the fact that you hear "I didn't think that tapered pin would come out..."

If using a strap is part of your playing regimen then opting for a more secure method of attachment increases the odds that your instrument isn't going to come to an early demise.

If one doesn't use a strap (or have an installed pickup) then the discussion doesn't really pertain to that player.

On my main acoustic that I gig with I opt to use Dunlop Straplok recessed fittings at both the heel and end of body that secure the Straploks. I haven't dropped a guitar yet, but I've only got 60 years of playing behind me.

They get used on almost all of my guitars of any persuasion.

That’s a sharp looking strap-lock interface.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion