The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

In 1972 me and two other guys sang "On The Cover of the Dirt Bike Mag", without
instruments, to the tune(?) of "On The Cover of the Rolling Stone" at a school
assembly.

Anyhow... when I pick up one of my "little" guitars (cf-100 or Schoenberg) I'm
not led to bang away on them with a pick. When I pick up one of my J-45ish
guitars, anything goes...

-Mike
Old 03-06-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I’ve found myself getting called for more acoustic guitar than ever before this year, which has been a nice change in my gig life! For years, I’ve worked with national touring artists in all sorts of styles, playing electric guitar, despite having studied classical guitar 20 years ago and having some pretty strong finger style and flat picking chops.

Anyway, this year, things kind of shifted. I’ve ended up playing acoustic in so many settings - with country bands, with a symphony, doing bluegrass, folk duos, pop gigs, church gigs, solo finger style for weddings, etc….

My only “good” acoustic is a Martin 000-15m. I LOVE that guitar, but it does sound a little small for stronger strumming, though it has great punchy mid range for single notes, and mine is surprisingly loud acoustically. It is a great guitar, but not necessarily the best “everything” guitar for me.

So I’m curious, what is your go to “all rounder”? Fwiw, my budget is probably capping out around the 3k range for an additional guitar at this point.
I’m new to guitar but, are you sure you want an “all rounder”. Sounds more like you want something to compliment your 000. If that’s the case, it seems like a dread might be a good option. Martin D18 will sound like, well, a Martin D18. Could try something like a Yamaha FG5x for a more neutral EQ.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

AGF can always be counted on to help narrow the search to about a billion different guitars

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-06-2024, 08:30 AM

Lots of good choices already mentioned. I would pick my Martin GCPA4 for its sound plugged in or not and its Taylor-like neck. Solid guitar with very dependable electronics. The version I have cost 2300.00 Canadian.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:31 AM

Martin style OM/GA and a modern voiced OM.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Hmm..

There are a few but I can narrow it down to two as most all-rounders:

My Breedlove American Series OM/SReH and Martin D18.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM

Martin OM-28A

Ll.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:09 AM

Yamaha LL-500. All around beast from the ‘90s. About $1000
Old 03-06-2024, 10:21 AM

Your best all-rounder is either going to be a Jumbo (or Super Jumbo for Gibson fanatics), or a dreadnaught (again, Jumbo for Gibson Fanatics)

Martin D-18/D-28, Gibson J-45, Hummingbird, or Dove, Guild D-50 or D-40
Gibson SJ-200, Guild F55

Any of these should be a good all arounder that can do both small intimate acoustic sets, larger acoustic locations, and some amplification if you can get things set right.

They can do delicate, they can do thumpy, fingerstyle or plectrum. You can even beat on it (GENTLY) to provide a percussion like instrument.

Smaller can be good, but there are limitations from that size too. Less volume, less bass, but it can be sweeter too.

The dread is probably the better shape, but a jumbo will be good to IMO, it all depends on your taste.

Of course, I am listing the expensive versions. More affordable versions are also available which might be better for travel, preventing loss (theft, breakage, etc) and other things that pop up when out gigging.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 03-06-2024, 10:49 AM

If I'm plugging into my Fishman Performer amp for a gig, I always reach for my K&K equipped 1974 Martin D-35.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:59 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
So I’m curious, what is your go to “all rounder”?
Taylor 110e —— I traded an Epi EJ-200 for it about 5 or so years ago. It’s super practical, well built and strong, has a very good tone, and it doesn’t act like a little cry-baby when played with passion. My other guitars, especially the expensive ones (814ce etc.,) cower and get all “emo” when I go all bluegrass on them. Sheesh. Yep, a MiM 110e lammy.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-06-2024, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I no longer need a do-everything guitar because I'm catering to my personal comfort needs and I've settled into the kind of playing I love to do and am no longer interested in having the ability to play everything. So I've ended up with the very best guitars I've ever owned to do exactly those things and do them better than any guitar I've ever owned. None of them are great all around guitars.

But the very best all around do-everything-well guitars I've ever owned have been the 1976 Guild D-35 that I purchased new while I was in college, the more recent Martin D-18 (Adirondack/sinker mahogany), and the Larrivee L-03, which was probably the best all around guitar of the 3. What for me is a great all around guitar is one that is sensitive and beautiful sounding when playing solo fingerstyle stuff, but still has great volume with a big dynamic range, one that sounds good when I'm singing and playing, and one that has great playability for both fingerstyle and playing chords and lead runs.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 03-08-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Your best all-rounder is either going to be a Jumbo (or Super Jumbo for Gibson fanatics), or a dreadnaught (again, Jumbo for Gibson Fanatics)

Martin D-18/D-28, Gibson J-45, Hummingbird, or Dove, Guild D-50 or D-40
Gibson SJ-200, Guild F55

Any of these should be a good all arounder that can do both small intimate acoustic sets, larger acoustic locations, and some amplification if you can get things set right.

They can do delicate, they can do thumpy, fingerstyle or plectrum. You can even beat on it (GENTLY) to provide a percussion like instrument.

Smaller can be good, but there are limitations from that size too. Less volume, less bass, but it can be sweeter too.

The dread is probably the better shape, but a jumbo will be good to IMO, it all depends on your taste.

Of course, I am listing the expensive versions. More affordable versions are also available which might be better for travel, preventing loss (theft, breakage, etc) and other things that pop up when out gigging.
I can vouch for one of those less expensive versions, the Gibson G-200. It’s a wonderfully versatile instrument, with great dynamic range. It’s slightly thinner than a J-200, about the same depth as a 000, but has the same 17” width. As I said in another thread, it’s a flattop that appeals to archtop players; and it’s probably the closest I will ever get to owning a 17” or 18” archtop (because the Big Dogs take a lot of coin to run with).

Anyway, lots of great suggestions in this thread. You really can’t go wrong with any of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion