The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-04-2024, 02:20 AM

Default moving bonus

My wife and I moved to a more metro area ; as we get older we do not relish living far from shopping, services, etc. I am 70 and we went the U-Haul route. Funny how it seemed so much easier previously.

I lived on a street with my guitar building friend and over the period of a year had managed to build a decent OM guitar. We keep in touch by e-mail, and I had been missing the guitar talk etc.

Our new neighborhood is full of busy young marrieds with small kids. There are a few senior citizens around though. My wife and I walked across the street to meet an older couple and as we stood at their door talking to the guy, I asked if he had any hobbies. He said music. I asked if he played an instrument, and he said guitar. I said,'me too'. They have been here a year or so and like the area, but he said the one thing he missed was the music. He brought out a beautiful OM sized Taylor and we made plans to get get together for an hour or so anytime we want.

Tomorrow we have our first 'session' having already agreed that we are meeting to have fun. I'll just walk across the street with a guitar. He is the same age as me, but from Ireland. Man am I thankful!
Old 03-04-2024, 04:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Congrats! Don't you love serendipity?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:48 AM

That's great! Playing music with others is my favorite!
Old 03-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Things happen that one never imagines when we open a new chapter or start a new adventure. You open yourself up to the powers that be. It's not always beneficial. I am looking at moving right now and it's scarry and exciting. Good for you.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-04-2024, 04:06 PM

Funny how things work out. Finding a playing partner whose house you can walk to is amazingly lucky. In a related situation, I recently found out that the guy who lives across the street from me, whom I’ve barely spoken to, is a musician in a gigging band. But he’s a heathen: a drummer, lol. He must use a pad set to rehearse, because in five years I’ve never heard any drumming coming from his house.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic