The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-02-2024, 12:14 PM

Default Used guitar value w installed pickup

Approximately how much does an installed pickup, non original, take away from the value of a thousand dollar guitar?
Thanks
Old 03-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

On a thousand dollar guitar, assuming it's done well, I would think it adds value (or at least doesn't reduce it).

Might be different on a very high dollar guitar or a vintage guitar that would be higher value if all original.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM

Usually no change, if it's well installed. Some people will think it's a bonus. Others may think it's a hassle to remove and install their preferred pickup.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
...Some people will think it's a bonus. Others may think it's a hassle to remove and install their preferred pickup.
And some will want the guitar without a pickup. You can't please all of the people all of the time...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-03-2024, 07:24 AM

Thanks for responses.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:50 PM

This would be another great FAQ candidate.

Some previous posts on this:

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

These all came from the following Google search - "does adding a pickup to an acoustic guitar reduce its value? site:www.acousticguitarforum.com"

FWIW - IMO it only impacts the value to a small subset of AGF members who are a very small subset of real world guitar players/buyers. The exceptions are collectable, custom or high end (>$ 7000 USD in early 2024) guitars.

I remodel my home for my wife and I, not for some unknown future buyer. I'm the same way with my instruments.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:20 PM

In my experience buying and selling dozens of guitars over the decades, professionally installed pickups neither add nor detract from the value of the guitars they’re in. (Assuming that we’re talking about relatively modern instruments, not genuine pre-war vintage pieces.) There are some potential buyers who are put off by pickups, but there are at least as many or more who’ll buy because there’s a pickup in the guitar.

So that depends strictly upon the buyers.

When I get a guitar for my own use I routinely install pickups so the instrument can be used onstage. The presence of those pickups has never made reselling the instruments difficult.

So go ahead and get a pickup installed if you have use for one. Done correctly, it almost certainly won’t hurt the resale value.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-03-2024, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

I modify everything I play:
- swap out nuts/saddles
- shave/sand heights
- tuners
- cut holes
- add controls
- add/change electronics
- etc.
- and some real Frankenstein stuff on electric planks (a couple dozen major mods deep on my favorite Strat)

These things make any guitar worth more to me because it plays and sounds better. Again... to me.

Of course, I hang onto any stock pieces I remove in case I ever want to restore a guitar to brand new condition - if possible. But there's no un-cutting holes. Even with reversible internal electronics, I don't imagine I'd remove a pickup from an acoustic since I play them at plug-in open mics. Luckily, my taste runs in the $1,500 range so I don't struggle with "desecrating" something highly revered or (gasp) vintage.

Regarding permanent modifications affecting the intrinsic value (and perhaps resale value) of an instrument:
One analogy you might consider is the difference between cutting stereo speaker holes into the rear deck of a 20-year old Corolla vs a stock '65 Mustang.

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-26-2024 at 09:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic