The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2024, 12:25 PM

Default IBANEZ JGM10 vs Maton/Cole Clark ?

Anyone out there who owns Ibanez Jon Gomm JGM 10 guitar?

It's double the price of JGM5 so I am wondering if sound is really on another level - both "plugged in" and acoustic?

And how does JGM10 sound compare to the best Maton or Cole Clark models in the plug-in department?

Jon Gomm has a unique style, but I am sure the guitar can also be used in a more traditional way. I am playing in drop tunings.

I recently heard Maton 808 live (the best plugged-in sound I ever heard), but I don't like the Maton specs or look, while I do JGM10! Thanks.

Last edited by NordicLights; 04-17-2024 at 11:05 AM. Reason: to make it shorter
Old 04-22-2024, 06:28 AM

BUMP

Anyone with JGM10 who can comment ?
Old 04-22-2024, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple Ibanez models and was curious sop I looked these up.

The Maton appears to have a traditional piezo with a built-in preamp. That great sound you heard was very likely not just from the guitar - there was probably a ton of external processing done to get a great sound.

The Ibanez has a off-the-shelf Fishman Rare Earth Blend pickup. I had two of these and found them to sound the best of any pickup, but my band's stage volume was way too loud and I always turned the mic way down. I also am always nervous about dying batteries so I switched to a passive soundhole pickup that I love. But that REB was the best sounding pickup I ever heard (and Ive done a *TON* of searching and testing)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-24-2024, 02:47 PM

Default IBANEZ JGM 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The Maton appears to have a traditional piezo with a built-in preamp. That great sound you heard was very likely not just from the guitar - there was probably a ton of external processing done to get a great sound.
Thank you for your comment

The Maton actually has two source systems—a kind of best possible piezo and condenser microphone—and I heard a few times that it sounds better even than the famous Cole Clark three-way system.

Anyway, from the recordings I heard on Youtube, I do like the Fishman REB in JGM10 very much, so this is the guitar I am in.

So anyone out there who has played both examples and can comment about JGM10?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion