The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-14-2015, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

A few thoughts to consider...

If given a choice between a more expensive, more established luthier using a body wood of "lesser pedigree" and less expensive, lower experience luthier using BRW, I would choose the former every time. Additionally, many of the low cost BRW sets I see being used are full of rift and flatsawn sections. Good quality quartersawn sets of BRW will cost you a tremendous amount, particularly new.

I see someone recommended Dake. He is one of the US's best classical guitar luthiers. He also, is a large importer of BRW who sells to many luthiers. Do you have a target budget? That would help.

My $.02
Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 AM

Ross Gutmeier builds a very nice double top guitar, I've played several. But he is transitioning back to the Torres/Santos design again after having found a way to really bring out the gusto in a traditional top guitar. I've played one of those, too, and I must say, it made a believer out of me. So much so that Ross will be building one for me later this year.

http://www.guitarsalon.com/blog/?p=10433
Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
A few thoughts to consider...

If given a choice between a more expensive, more established luthier using a body wood of "lesser pedigree" and less expensive, lower experience luthier using BRW, I would choose the former every time. Additionally, many of the low cost BRW sets I see being used are full of rift and flatsawn sections. Good quality quartersawn sets of BRW will cost you a tremendous amount, particularly new.

I see someone recommended Dake. He is one of the US's best classical guitar luthiers. He also, is a large importer of BRW who sells to many luthiers. Do you have a target budget? That would help.

My $.02
Right now I have a Double-Top and i'm thinking maybe its time to sell - I don't want BRW but i want it for a reference point of price so I can get an idea as to how much to sell mine for, for my next guitar I do want a Double-Top with a good set of Indian on Madagascar Rosewood - I might be able to sell my guitar for $5K I wouldn't take less.

Thank you so much for your time.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
Ross Gutmeier builds a very nice double top guitar, I've played several. But he is transitioning back to the Torres/Santos design again after having found a way to really bring out the gusto in a traditional top guitar. I've played one of those, too, and I must say, it made a believer out of me. So much so that Ross will be building one for me later this year.

http://www.guitarsalon.com/blog/?p=10433
thank you, so much
Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Dake has a new cedar/Indian DT for sale right now on his website.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 AM

yeah cedar isn't my thing,maybe as a second guitar.
$6,500 for a Double-Top Paired with Indian Rosewood isn't a bad price at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical