The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Default need pickup wiring diagram help

Well the plan is starting to come together on the acoustic archtop conversion to electric. Now I need alittle help with wiring diagram for the setup that I will be using. Here is my plan.....

P90 2 wire pickup
250K tone pot
.022uf cap
250K volume

Hoping to get a nice mellow vintage tone out of this setup. If there is a better way to do this, please let me know. This is my first attempt at electrics, so I am a real dummy

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-16-2008, 09:02 AM

There's a PDF here that should help you out.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 AM

a larger capacitor means more treble cut!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, Thank you guys for the great info and help. So if I want to have a nice even tone across, would it be best to run a .022uf or a .047uf capasitor, (ooops bad spelling I think) will be doing about 50% strumming.

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Not to be a curmudgeon, but this may be a case of "if you have to ask, you may be better paying someone who already knows how". If the guitar is valuable, or you want to insure an acceptable outcome, maybe having a pro do this will cost less in the long run.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Talking Not to be curmudgeon.....

I have always taken pride in being able to take a hands on approach at everything. I like doing the research, asking questions, and using the brain that God gave me to accomplish anything that I want to do. In my way of thinking (it may not always be right) the only dumb question is the one that never gets asked. I enjoy working with my hands and learning new things. Sure, I could go out and spend some of my hard earned money on a new electric guitar, or give it to a shop. But where is the fun in that? When, not if, I complete this build, I will be very proud that I have accomplished this task.

Have a great day
Bill
Old 11-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
Thank you, Thank you guys for the great info and help. So if I want to have a nice even tone across, would it be best to run a .022uf or a .047uf capasitor, (ooops bad spelling I think) will be doing about 50% strumming.

Thanks
Bill
The cap simply sets the frequency at which the tone pot starts cutting down your treble. Larger capacitor = cut starts lower down.

Even tone is a function of the guitar itself, the strings, the amp, and your hands.

The tone cap is but one of many many factors, including the way you wire in both the tine and volume pots (there are more variations than is immediately obvious to most techs). Pick up a half-dozen values and breadboard it - it'll get obvious real fast.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 11-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the great input and advice Don, I have been doing alot of reading on how and why to wire pots ect. So I am starting to get a good understanding. I cant wait for my pickups and parts come in and start playing with it.

Thanks again
Bill
Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM

The Seymour Duncan website has wiring diagrams for just about every conceivable configuration.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification