The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-11-2015, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Intonation wacky after string change...

Cordoba Fusion 12 maple which had near perfection intonation now requires me to tune the high E up almost 1/4 step to sound in tune.

I am getting new strings today and having someone else put them on for me but in the event that doesn't solve the problem what would you recommend? Maybe a tuning machine is failing in some way?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:40 AM

I'm going to risk embarrassment and ask the obvious...

Have the strings stretched yet? When I change nylon strings on my son's guitar, it is unplayable for a day or so. Also (I don't know) high and normal tension strings may require a slight adjustment? Do you have the same tension strings on the guitar?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
Cordoba Fusion 12 maple which had near perfection intonation now requires me to tune the high E up almost 1/4 step to sound in tune.
Where, as an open string? Low positions, or upper?

Could just be a bum string.

String change is always the first line of action.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-11-2015, 07:56 AM

I am trying to be helpful here, but the nature of your question leads me to believe that you are rather inexperienced in these matters. Please do not be offended if my points seem very basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post

I am getting new strings today and having someone else put them on for me but in the event that doesn't solve the problem what would you recommend? Maybe a tuning machine is failing in some way?
As has already been mentioned, new strings stretch -- especially nylon strings. One should expect to have to tune and re-tune a newly-strung nylon-string guitar quite a bit following a string change.

Your comment "requires me to tune the high E up almost 1/4 step to sound in tune" sounds to me as if you are simply tuning the guitar -- not dealing with an intonation issue. "....to sound in tune..." with respect to what? Intonation generally refers to a string being in tune with itself at various points along the fingerboard. In other words, one can assess intonation of a given string with only that one string on the guitar. Commonly, "intonation" is verifying / adjusting that the pitch at the 12th fret is a doubling (octave up) of the same string pitch played open (or compare against 12 fret harmonic).

It is possible to get a badly-made string which is slightly irregular over the length of the string, resulting in some tuning abnormalities, but this is very rare. A failing tuner cannot create faulty intonation, it can only allow the string to slip, requiing more frequent tuning.....so no, you do not have a bad tuner.

Most likely, you just need a little guidance from an instructor of at least a more knowledgable player. Is there someone you can consult locally?

You really should learn to change the strings yourself. Again, a little guidance will go a long way.

I will also suggest you invest in a decent electronic tuner, as well as become adept at tuning across the strings by ear.

Best of luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Just to add to what has already been said, I presume you have already changed to new strings. If that is the case, did you change them all at once? And if you did, did the saddle fall out? You may have put it back the wrong way round thus throwing the intonation out a bit.
But I'm like the others and don't wish to insult your intelligence. It's just something to consider.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I am trying to be helpful here, but the nature of your question leads me to believe that you are rather inexperienced in these matters. Please do not be offended if my points seem very basic.
You are absolutely right.
I always pay someone to have new strings put on my guitars and I completely understand how absurd that might sound to most players.

My post left out quite a bit of information but basically the higher up the neck I went the more out of tune the high E was with the rest of the strings. At the 12th fret it was unbearable. I suppose I am not sure if that is an intonation problem or not, but it was very annoying!

I had the strings changed today and the problem went away. Thanks for all the suggestions though! If that hadn't worked I probably would have just dropped it off at my local shop and hoped for the best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical