The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Harmony Sovereign H55 - Broken Bridge

I received this guitar along with the SQ-180, and was wondering if it was worth getting the restoration work done on it. The broken bridge is the only flaw on the instrument, there are no scratches, nicks, etc. I have a receipt that says the guitar was purchased in 1959. I took it to a local shop that told me the guitar bridge could not be fixed and offered to give me $10 as is for the guitar. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions here?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:45 PM

I'd fix it. I have no idea of the value, but if I remember right, they were pretty cool old guitars. Heck, I'd give you more than $10 for it!

Sorry reread your post and saw that they said it couldn't be fixed. I wouldn't give up on that. I think a bridge can be removed and replaced.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Seems like there is a shop in the San Francisco area that specializes in repairing old Harmony guitars. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name but it might be located in Berkeley. I bet it could be fixed and it might be worth shipping it to a place like this. Don't take the $10, surely a good luthier could fix the bridge.

Does anyone know the repair place I'm thinking of? I know I sent the info to a friend who has his Dad's old Harmony. If I find it, I'll post it. -- Beel
Old 01-23-2006, 05:10 PM

Don't know about Soveriegns made in the 50's-I know the 60's ones (model 1260's) were/are worth multiple hundreds if in good shape-you will find the American built ones (the name was sold overseas) in good shape getting a decent bid or two on Ebay. Unless the thing is a piece of junk, it has to be worth more than $10.00. Of course, there's some repair work to do on it-only you can decide if it's worth fixing and keeping (or maybe selling as a beater?). Don't know. But 10 bucks is basically giving it away.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 01-23-2006, 05:17 PM

When you say the bridge is broken, exactly what do you mean? Is it pulled free of the top? Or is it cracked? Are we really talking the bridge or just the saddle? A photo or two might help.

Did the the shop say it couldn't be fixed, or that it wasn't worth fixing? As to whether or not the guitar can be fixed, without trying to second-guess or criticize the shop, it depends on the actual problem, the skill of the repairer and the willingness of the owner to foot the bill.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 PM

If it was the part above where the strings pass through (they used a pinless bridge) you could try an epoxy and hope for the best, otherwise it would be best to replace it.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 AM

1. Any bridge can be replaced/rebuilt. Any fairly-competent luthier can do it.

2. This might be the guy someone mentioned up the page.

http://www.fatdawg.com/gateway.html

I dunno if your guitar is here, but this guy knows all about 'em. I have a sneaky suspicion that one of the Harmony Sovereign dreads (actually jumbos) in the pictures leaning up against his house is the one I pawned before going into the Army in 1965.

3. OTOH if you're talking about an archtop f-hole Harmony then you could probbly replace the bridge with any old adjustable. I mean, it's a Harmony! Whatever works!

They said, "You have a blue guitar, you do not play things as they are."
The man replied, "Things as they are, are changed upon the blue guitar."
(Wallace Stevens)
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 AM

David, that's the guy I was thinking of. Thanks for remembering for me. -- Beel
Old 01-24-2006, 12:34 PM

This may not be worth a lot but repair it anyway theres no such thing as a guitar that can't be repaired as long as you're willing to spend the money.Harmony was never considered to be a great guitar but always played decently and was actually fun to play when I think back.I wou;ld certainlly spend the $.louis
Old 01-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools
This may not be worth a lot but repair it anyway theres no such thing as a guitar that can't be repaired as long as you're willing to spend the money.Harmony was never considered to be a great guitar but always played decently and was actually fun to play when I think back.I wou;ld certainlly spend the $.louis
Agree with Louis. Not to put too fine a point on this, but Harmony built some nice guitars back when. They went out of business (in Chicago) when production wasn't up to demand--sold a lot of factory space, and wood billets to who knows whom. A 60's Sovereign was not a piece of junk--it outplayed, and in many instances out-sounded D-18's, even D-28's of the same era. They were one of the last American guitar makers to fall victim to imports, and production delays (they made Harmony, Kay, Stella, Silvertone-maybe others). A lot of us cut our musical teeth on them, and the Harmonys were decent instruments--I still regret not having my old 60's Soveriegn--it was a cannon, played like buttah, and sounded great!

Whether yours is worth investing money in to fix up is a decision only you can and should make. If it's all solid wood (as Sovereigns were), and doesn't have other major structural issues, it might just be worth fixing up. Again-up to you. Keep us posted if you wish.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM

GenevaM,
Since we don't know where you are, we can't tell you who to go to for a second opinion. If you don't mind revealing that, in at least a general way, I'm sure that our fellow forum members would be able to recommend 1 or more shops or luthiers that you could go to for more advice.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks to everyone for their help and information. I am located just outside of Washington, DC in Northern VA. I would post pictures of the guitar to show the damage, but I don't think I'm allowed to... or I just can't figure out how to do it.

The guitar is an acoustic/electric, and with the exception of the bridge, really is in great shape.

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 AM

Well hey I bought both my Harmonys, the cheap F-hole AND the sovereign dread, from Veneman in Silver Spring. I hear he's still around up in Wheaton somewhere. In any case I think there's at least one pretty good guitar store in McLean or Falls Church or something, I'll try to think of the name.

By the way, MY sovereign did NOT play "like buttah". But if I had it now I'd know a lot more about how to work the action down and so forth.

They said, "You have a blue guitar, you do not play things as they are."
The man replied, "Things as they are, are changed upon the blue guitar."
(Wallace Stevens)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion