The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Proper mike for AER Compact 60

Hi:
For the first time I'm going to be doing a performance in a small venue where I'll have to use my AER Compact with a mike. Can anyone recommend to me the proper mike, cord, and mike stand that I'll need for this? And incidentally, what is the best placement for the amp: e.g., to the rear of me and to the left?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to fellow AGF'ers.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Use the line out in the back of the amp instead of a mic, that will save you and the soundman lots of trouble.
If you don't have a monitor on stage, put the amp where you can hear it.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Eric Skye

I used the Compact 60 (sometimes two) as a little PA to mic my guitar at gigs and weddings, etc, for a while. It does a good job, though it’s low (I think 15V) phantom power limits mic choice quite a bit. I think I used the inexpensive little AT Pro 37 condenser mic with that rig.

I would shoot for keeping the amp fairly close at your side so you can reach over and tweak, with the speaker being about parallel with the mic. That’ll have you slightly behind the amp, which in a small quiet-ish room should allow you to hear yourself very well. You can move back or forth a little bit to find a better fit. The AER also mounts on mic stands which makes for another good option.

I’ve also use an Audix i5 mic for my guitar, but on the whole I don't like to use a dynamic mic on my guitar.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks, fellows, but I guess I didn't make myself clear--I'll be singing also. I'll have my guitar-a Rainsong Om-1000 plugged into the AER. So the mic I'm referring to will be a vocal mike, not one for an instrument.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
It does a good job, though it’s low (I think 15V) phantom power limits mic choice quite a bit.
AER Compact 60 provides 30V of phantom power. I've used regular studio mics with it and works find. AER can really serve as a good dual source blender, except its eq is really anemic.

I am getting the most beautiful tone out of my small OM using a highlander PAMDI in conjunction with Wavelength/internal mic combo.

I agree with Teleplucker. Use the line out if you want all the effects out to the board. If you want to send a clean balanced signal, use the XLR. Mic'ing AER will not only be pain, but won't give you the best sound.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Hi Philly5834 - when I do guitar/vocal stuff through my AER Alpha, I use a boom mic stand with a very ordinary Shure SM58 plugged via XLR lead into the XLR input on the amp for the vocal, and the guitar plugged into the instrument channel with jack lead. I usually mount the amp on a boom stand with the boom removed, and have the amp a couple of feet to my right and slightly in front of me, roughly waist height or slightly higher. If it's a very quiet venue, it works really well with the amp four feet or so directly in front of me at about waist height, and then use just one mic (I use an ATM 33a into the XLR channel) to pick up voice and guitar - gives a very natural sound in the right venue.
Hope this is helpful,
Keith
Old 11-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Can't go wrong with a SM58 or Beta 58
Old 11-28-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks a lot , everybody, now it's quite clear to me what I have to do. All of your answers were helpful, but Keith's seemed to hit the nail on the head. Appreciate it a lot. Have a good and restful weekend! Best,
Philly
Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
AER Compact 60 provides 30V of phantom power. I've used regular studio mics with it and works find. ....
Oh, that's right. It's been a few years since I sold the Compacts I had. I was confusing them with another amp I guess, or maybe I was needing the full 52V....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification