The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 02:45 PM

Default Only buying used now.

After taking it in the shorts on several new guitars, I've finally realized that like cars, used guitars are the way to go. Let someone else take the depreciation, and then look for deals. I just got a 2014 D-18 with a small professionally repaired crack in the top for $1300 w/OHSC. All I really have to do is my research, like on cars and then look for deals. It ain't rocket surgery folks.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I just can't knock the feeling of being the first person to own something, whether it's a car, guitar, or otherwise. What you are saying is 100% correct, but I can't bring myself to buy a used guitar, not knowing what the previous owner did to it.

That is, of course, until the perfect used Collings OMH2 comes around and I can't say no.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Default rocket surgery?

It is always cheaper to buy used, whether you are talking guitars, cars or homes. And blemished ones can be exceptional buys. We assume of course that you put little or no stock in a warranty and are willing to have issues develop a bit sooner than they otherwise might. Not a thing wrong with that.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobtay View Post
I can't bring myself to buy a used guitar, not knowing what the previous owner did to it.
Yeah, like how long they lingered, sniffing the soundhole
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 09-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

If the buyer has educated himself or herself and wants a guitar that is fairly abundant on the secondary market, then purchasing used is probably a good way to go. I would think that most AGF members are either savvy or become more savvy after a few years of reading and posting. However, there are clearly potential pitfalls for the uninformed buyer who dips a toe or two into the used guitar market. I think it's easy to lose track of how much we've learned and take for granted and the things that we are far too savvy to fall for that we might have fallen for previously....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph1 View Post
After taking it in the shorts on several new guitars, I've finally realized that like cars, used guitars are the way to go. Let someone else take the depreciation, and then look for deals. I just got a 2014 D-18 with a small professionally repaired crack in the top for $1300 w/OHSC. All I really have to do is my research, like on cars and then look for deals. It ain't rocket surgery folks.
Welcome to the sobering reality of life. I've established "Vindibona's cardinal rules of instrument buying": 1) Never buy new. 2) Never buy sight unseen and untested.

I broke my own rules last month when I bought a new guitar sight unseen. But the extenuating circumstances were that I negotiated a deal that got me down near used pricing territory (for a new instrument) and I had 30 days to return it. Without those two circumstances I'm 100% the only buy used category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobtay View Post
I just can't knock the feeling of being the first person to own something, whether it's a car, guitar, or otherwise. What you are saying is 100% correct, but I can't bring myself to buy a used guitar, not knowing what the previous owner did to it.

That is, of course, until the perfect used Collings OMH2 comes around and I can't say no.
A perfect case of thinking with your heart instead of your head. That kind of thinking will ALWAYS cost you money. What in the world could a previous guitar owner do to a guitar that you couldn't spot upon inspection???

New CARS? A fool's game, sucked in by the concept of "newness". My GF has that issue and I'm not letting her buy new this time. She hates car shopping so much she'd rather just pay and extra $10k just to get the process over. She'd rather have a root canal than go car shopping. But I'll use my own anecdote to prove the point.

I bought my 2nd Infinity FX35 in 2009. My first one was a 2005 on lease. Loved the car but didn't want lease payments any more. The NEW 2009 FX would have cost, with tax, $46,000. Instead I (with help from my friends) got a 2007 with only 20k miles on it. I wrote a check for $29,000. I saved $17,000 just by letting someone else drive it first. It had 3 years and 30k miles left on the warranty. The warranty timed out before I reached 50k. 9 years later its only got 85k miles on it, been trouble free and other than tires, brakes and general maintenance has cost me nothing more. Its still in pristine condition and still worth about $10k. That same car in the 2009 model, with 20k less mile would only be worth about $12k (I have access to the auction data). So in the LONG run I saved $15,000 net! Maybe more, depending on how long I keep this car. What can you do with an extra $15k in your pocket?

Still want to buy a NEW car??? The going math for a used guitar is 60% of new retail (at least my rule). And guitars need some age before they are mature. Save 40% or get the next level up for the same price on a guitar that needs no playing in and has already had the bugs worked out of it. Almost anything else makes little sense to me.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 09-20-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:11 PM

I can think of many reasons to buy used, besides saving a lot of money.
As with many wood species on the CITES list you're less likely to run into problems when selling or travelling across borders.

Wood scarcity dictates that in general lower quality woods are used as time progresses, that is for the same model in the same price range.

Used guitars have been played in and are usually already opened up more then new guitars and you don't have to worry about the first ding if it already has one.

On the down side though, as previously noted there is no telling how the instrument was handled or wether it suffered previous damage but with some knowledge most issues can be spotted by experienced guitar players who constantly update their knowledge by reading threads here in the AGF.

Obviously that and how it sounds are also important factors and with this knowledge nothing should stand in the way of buying excellent used guitars as long as you go and try em out first.

Ludwig
Old 09-20-2017, 03:17 PM

I haven't purchased a new guitar for 3 years now. If I was to play a really special guitar in a shop that spoke to me then I wouldn't hesitate to buy new.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:25 PM

I've always bought nearly everything used.

Cars my whole driving life, so about 50 years, I have to admit some of 'em were dogs, but I've been riunning around , trouble free for a couple of years in my latest one which is 10 years old now, scrubs up well.

Since eBay of course, it's easy to find almost everything you need second hand.

Furniture, got lots of nice high end stuff for pennies on the pound.
Same with clothes, (although I draw the line at used underclothes or shoes !) I've got e.g. A leather jacket that I'd never have contemplated at the new price.

Guitars ? You betcha ! Got a bunch of them I could not have afforded new.
You only get one year's guarantee on a new Martin in the UK anyway , I've bought and sold a few and have a couple of lovely "Keepers" now, youngest one is a 2008, still looks more or less new, no structural issues. May even sound "better" than it did new.
Lots of bargains to be found, go get 'em.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Guitars used I agree. Cars used is more of a gamble. There is way more many things that could go wrong in a car compared to a guitar. I would rather buy a car new.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Wise to buy only used, but it can take some of the fun out of going to guitar stores and getting out the goods. Not sure I could ever resist the temptation.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM

I couldn't agree more. If you've got the mindset to do your homework and be informed and aware, there are some great buys. I bought all the guitars in my signature for just a little more than one of the expensive ones new. All sound all play great.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 09-20-2017, 04:23 PM

I just bought a takamine EG 50th Anniversary and absolutely love it. I had recently saw one that sold on kijiji Toronto for 1500.00
Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 PM

Thinking back, the last time I bought a new guitar was when I was in high school. I graduated in 1970, so I've bought used for a while now.
et al
Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM

I bought my Martin OMC 15e used with a repaired crack no one can find for half the street value of a new one and I love it.
The most discreet members of the new guitar buyers club sometimes seem to have a certain mentality about sole ownership and the "new" thing. In some instances I find their expectations of the value they place on their instruments to be somewhat Pollyanna-ish and even not real-world. I don't consider any of my guitars "sacred", even the ones I bought new. I respect their value but it's a dang guitar.
I have no qualms about buying a used guitar. The premium cost on a new one is not necessarily a value to me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion