The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Default sustain

Over the years, I have had a lot of fun with just listening to sustain. Each new guitar gets "tested" and measured, but that's only part of it. As a chord dies away, you can hear certain notes die before others. That may vary with the chord too. All sorts of interesting things happen if you listen closely, things that a mike may not pick up, but are neat to ponder over. FWIW most guitars strummed lightly will sustain in the 14-16 second range, part of which will be inaudible in a mike placed in the usual locations..There is not as much raw difference between guitars as we might think, but when you consider which notes stay on and which decline, the differences becomes more audible.

It feels like I am not explaining this very clearly, apologies. Stop reading and listen instead. You'll see.

(yes, that's a bit funny if you want to interpret it that way)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:32 PM

IMO the more sustain the better.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Over the years, I have had a lot of fun with just listening to sustain. Each new guitar gets "tested" and measured, but that's only part of it. As a chord dies away, you can hear certain notes die before others. That may vary with the chord too. All sorts of interesting things happen if you listen closely, things that a mike may not pick up, but are neat to ponder over. FWIW most guitars strummed lightly will sustain in the 14-16 second range, part of which will be inaudible in a mike placed in the usual locations..There is not as much raw difference between guitars as we might think, but when you consider which notes stay on and which decline, the differences becomes more audible.

It feels like I am not explaining this very clearly, apologies. Stop reading and listen instead. You'll see.

(yes, that's a bit funny if you want to interpret it that way)
One of my favorite recordings for this sort of thing was a chimey ringing sound I got recording "A Waltz for Rebecca" (on my youtube channel). That particular guitar has
a lot of sympathetic resonances (for example on the last chord decay).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I'll add that how the sustain decays with respect to fundamentals and overtones makes a difference in playing style. For example, sitka with mahogany backs and sides will emphasize fundamentals more than overtones, so there's little competition between overtones. Compare that to a cedar over rosewood guitar where overtone volume is increased. I had a cedar over rosewood guitar whose sustain was long and overtones were rich. Marvelous for fingerstyle or even light strumming, but medium strumming or more made it so that the sustain and volume of the overtones distorted the tone. So many other factors e.g. bracing, construction, tonewood combinations, etc. will affect the tone of a guitar. Once you hear those differences, it colors how you play a particular guitar and what styles of music (and playing) are more suited to that guitar.
2017 Eastman E10 OM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion