The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Changing strings tonight

Did 2 electrics, and was on a roll so I unstrung my acoustic. Didn't realize that I didn't have my usual brand of DR Rare strings.

When I was taking off the low E I noticed the peg was loose. No problem, just tightened the nut that holds the bushing in the peg head. Checked all the others and other than the B a little loose all was well.

Hadn't noticed any issues with stability, rattle or buzz lately, figured it was just one of those things. I've owned this guitar since 1994 when I ordered it from the factory rep when I taught lessons for a store.

Once they were all off I polished the frets as I always do (Dremel with polishing wheel impregnated with Flitz- used every time I change strings, looks black but its just former tarnish).

Then I polished the entire guitar with a foam pad on a cordless driver with Stew Mac Preservation Polish.

When I looked for my strings I realized I didn't have my usual flavor, but had my former brand (Martin PB mediums). Went ahead and put them on.

After stretching and tuning I noticed they felt a little heavier than the DR's. Not surprising, since DR claims to be lighter tension.

I did notice some more relief than before.

Went ahead and ordered a couple sets of DR Rares. The joys of living on an island, the closest music store is an hour away and doesn't carry them anyway.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 PM

I changed strings on 2 of my acoustics tonight also smile. D'Addario phosphor bronze lights. Got them on a 12 pack sale. 10 more restrings to go!
Question: I noticed 1 of my pegs is starting to split on the bottom a little. Do I need to replace right away or do u think I am good. I am strung tight and holding steady with no buzz.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 PM

Me three. Trying SIT 80/20 12-52 Silencers. They 're semi flat wound. Vintage tone -- not as bright sounding.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 PM

Hey Jaybones...

When you reorder your DR's order a pack of DR Sunbeams to compare with the Rares. I've tested both but on my guitars I like the Sunbeams better.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
Went ahead and ordered a couple sets of DR Rares. The joys of living on an island, the closest music store is an hour away and doesn't carry them anyway.
Hell Jaybones , I live in London and the nearest music store is an hour away !

And if it does carry DR strings, (which I doubt,) then I imagine they will be prohibitively priced like all their other strings .

Strings, they're what the internet was created for !
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

I need 6 guitars to be restrung. My two best I did last week and I run my other dogs while the Macassar Goodall still has the fresh TI Spectrums.

That Dremel wheel, fret shine, technique sounds interesting. Theres's another operation I need to perform.
I better get a chalk board and some self motivation.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 PM

That sounds like a lot of work when changing strings. I just wipe the dried spit and the beer off the neck and body and swap the strings out. If I had to do what the OP does each time, I'd never change strings. Good on ya for being that dedicated.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Hey Jaybones...

When you reorder your DR's order a pack of DR Sunbeams to compare with the Rares. I've tested both but on my guitars I like the Sunbeams better.

Same here. The Sunbeams are nice strings, both are. I like the Sunbeams better.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-16-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
That sounds like a lot of work when changing strings. I just wipe the dried spit and the beer off the neck and body and swap the strings out. If I had to do what the OP does each time, I'd never change strings. Good on ya for being that dedicated.
What ? No blood or sweat ? That's not very rock n roll then ....
Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
More like a form of object worship. Some tunes or in front of the TV, knock out 2 or 3 in a row.

Since I received the proper strings in the mail today, I'm probably going to change them tonight.

As far as the Dremel wheel and polish, before this I used a piece of new Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Faster, but doesn't seem to do as good a job as the Dremel.

First time I used it, I was abrading metal (I'm sure) as even though I had been using Mr. Clean they weren't as shiny and smooth as when I was finished. First time took a whole lot longer than what I do now.

Maybe I can rotate Mr. Clean and Mr. Dremel...
Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 PM

I hate changing strings...
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 PM

Using a Dremel would be a disaster in my hands. Be careful with that.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
Did 2 electrics, and was on a roll so I unstrung my acoustic. Didn't realize that I didn't have my usual brand of DR Rare strings.

When I was taking off the low E I noticed the peg was loose. No problem, just tightened the nut that holds the bushing in the peg head. Checked all the others and other than the B a little loose all was well.

Hadn't noticed any issues with stability, rattle or buzz lately, figured it was just one of those things. I've owned this guitar since 1994 when I ordered it from the factory rep when I taught lessons for a store.

Once they were all off I polished the frets as I always do (Dremel with polishing wheel impregnated with Flitz- used every time I change strings, looks black but its just former tarnish).

Then I polished the entire guitar with a foam pad on a cordless driver with Stew Mac Preservation Polish.

When I looked for my strings I realized I didn't have my usual flavor, but had my former brand (Martin PB mediums). Went ahead and put them on.

After stretching and tuning I noticed they felt a little heavier than the DR's. Not surprising, since DR claims to be lighter tension.

I did notice some more relief than before.

and then I had a couple beers, took a shower to get the sweat and grime off and had a nap.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch2017 View Post
Using a Dremel would be a disaster in my hands. Be careful with that.
Well, its about a quarter inch wide wheel, maybe an inch in diameter, almost parallel to the neck, using it on fret wire. Start at one end, going against the rotation of the rotation so its not that hard to control. Even if it did slip, since it a polishing wheel it wouldn't do much damage. Even use it on a ~1970 Rivoli (EA260) bass with a bound neck. Binding is pretty brittle and I try to avoid contact with it, but incidental doesn't seem to bother it.

@guitar george I haven't drank any in almost 9 years. Lets just say I enjoyed it too much...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion