The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Not going to end as long as significant numbers of humans regard the thoughts of bronze-age warlords, theologians, and illiterates as the final word on human morality and science.

I believe you're absolutely right about that...well said...
Old 09-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

No political or religious discussion, please.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

My sympathies go out to those affected.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Not going to end as long as significant numbers of humans regard the thoughts of bronze-age warlords, theologians, and illiterates as the final word on human morality and science.
The fact that this statement could be considered crossing a line tells me that we are a long way from ending the madness.
Epiphone Dot
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 PM

It will end when our sun goes nova or supernova .
Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
The fact that this statement could be considered crossing a line tells me that we are a long way from ending the madness.

We may not like it but...them's the rules.
I have to bite my tongue on lots of comments that are made here because of the rules.
I think I can safely say that anyone who thinks mankind will change need only look at history. As far as the future goes, that's where I don't get to express my thoughts because of the rules. It's for the best and I'm ok with it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
What Kerbie's statement tells me is that a topic like this can go in many directions, and that certain directions should be avoided in the interest of a semblance of harmony and for this thread to remain open. Quite frankly, I think that the hypothetical answer to "ending the madness" would be to have universal moderators who steer us away from bad choices and in the direction of good choices that maintain global harmony...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
have universal moderators who steer us away from bad choices and in the direction of good choices that maintain global harmony...
Reminds me of one of my favorite books: Childhood's End
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/childh...d/summary.html
Old 09-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
What Kerbie's statement tells me is that a topic like this can go in many directions, and that certain directions should be avoided in the interest of a semblance of harmony and for this thread to remain open. Quite frankly, I think that the hypothetical answer to "ending the madness" would be to have universal moderators who steer us away from bad choices and in the direction of good choices that maintain global harmony...

I nominate Kerbie.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I nominate Kerbie.
You guys crack me up... I graciously decline, but thanks, Marty, fellow moderator...
Old 09-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Reminds me of one of my favorite books: Childhood's End
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/childh...d/summary.html
...Fifty years later, the Earth has greatly changed. It has become a utopia, where everyone has a place to live and enough food to eat. The Overlords have altered the world and raised the standard of living for everyone...

Sounds good to me....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Just watching the Sunday night BBC news and some later events - with lots f pics of armed police in certain "key" places.

The deaths and maiming of innocent people offends me greatly but I'm also very saddened that we now have to have police with pistols and some sort of rifles on our streets not because I don't trust them but because it is deemed necessary.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Just watching the Sunday night BBC news and some later events - with lots f pics of armed police in certain "key" places.

The deaths and maiming of innocent people offends me greatly but I'm also very saddened that we now have to have police with pistols and some sort of rifles on our streets not because I don't trust them but because it is deemed necessary.
Jolly old England used to be lots worse. During WWII, there were sandbagged bunkers, blackouts, volunteer patrols, and plenty of guns in civilian life. I suspect there will be lots more armed paramilitary people on the streets with every terror attack?

Keep a stiff upper lip. Be glad you got to enjoy that happy go lucky, gun-free lifestyle while it lasted. You are still fortunate, not to be stuck in some godawful place that is really boiling in horror...

The future looks like a scary place to me? There are too many problems that just don't seem to have any solutions....

Don
Old 09-18-2017, 05:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I wonder if the Scots have upped their terror threat level a la the list attributed to John Cleese? HERE. It's not entirely unbelievable.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Jolly old England used to be lots worse. During WWII, there were sandbagged bunkers, blackouts, volunteer patrols, and plenty of guns in civilian life. I suspect there will be lots more armed paramilitary people on the streets with every terror attack?

Keep a stiff upper lip. Be glad you got to enjoy that happy go lucky, gun-free lifestyle while it lasted. You are still fortunate, not to be stuck in some godawful place that is really boiling in horror...

The future looks like a scary place to me? There are too many problems that just don't seem to have any solutions....

Don
I'm well aware of what it was like during the war - as my parents were in West London and told me all about it.
As a child I played in the air-raid shelter in the back garden, and later cycled on basic bicycles built to ride up and down the bomb craters on the nearby disused golf course, and played around in the bombed out factories nearby (the main target in our area).

Mt father worked in "reserved occupation" during the day and on bomb watch in the nights.

I'm now aware of the Auxiliary Units - particularly strong in this area - as we are close to the sea and likely landing areas, but thankfully never used - effectively small groups of "terrorists" to take rear guard action once the Germans had invaded.

Not quite sure what you mean by "paramilitary" - It is illegal for individuals to have fire-arms - although of course, the bad guys get hold of them from time to time.
The police have a certain small number of police allowed to carry firearms - (Armed response teams) but usually not in view.

I've seen armed police in airports for some time now - on the streets - no, but the danger level is now rated as "severe".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic