The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
You did good my friend. And extra kudos for giving her a nice lifetime guitar (of course we can't expect anyone to own just ONE guitar - that's just wrong), that she can and will keep forever. I've got two of those guitars, my dad's old J-45 and a Taylor 710 that my wife got me while she was pregnant with our daughter. They both are so important to me and I'll never get rid of them. Dad is with me every time I pick up his guitar and it just feels so good. And every time I play that Taylor I can see my wife 8 months pregnant with tears streaming down her face saying "that's the one, get that one". You just gave your daughter a lifetime of memories. Major daddy score!
Thanks! Those are great memories. I have an old beat up Gibson L-50 archtop that I heard my Grandpa pick many a gospel tune on. He was a preacher but always brought his guitar. Some of the little country churches he preached at he'd lead the singing, do a "special", then preach a sermon. Don't make them like him anymore.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I bet there's another one out there Keith!
One of these days...

Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 09-13-2017, 02:50 PM

Love the wood grain on that one! Wow, dad, nice present!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Beautiful guitar! That will serve her well for many years.

I have a 2006 GS6 that looks just like it, with the exception that mine has a pickguard. I use mine every week for leading worship. It's bright and articulate, but has a piano-like low end. Very balanced.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM

That's a great present!
I let my teenager play my GS5 at home, but it's still my guitar. He's got my old Ovation & Seagull Entourage in his room for playing and recording.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:31 PM

Happy birthday to her! A wonderful present, and it is great that she is following in your musical footsteps.

I have that guitar's cousin, nearly identical except mine is a 2006 GS-K. Where your sides are maple, mine are koa. It is the best wood guitar that I own, and the one for any contender to beat.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
Beautiful guitar! That will serve her well for many years.

I have a 2006 GS6 that looks just like it, with the exception that mine has a pickguard. I use mine every week for leading worship. It's bright and articulate, but has a piano-like low end. Very balanced.
I was very impressed with this guitar's voice. Question on your pickguard, I was thinking of maybe putting one on hers. Is yours a standard Taylor guard? I had also thought about a clear pickguard. Do you have a picture of yours?

Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Good for you! Not only did you give her a terrific birthday present but who knows how much that may inspire and further her music aspirations.
Nice job Dad!

Dan
Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadduck View Post
I was very impressed with this guitar's voice. Question on your pickguard, I was thinking of maybe putting one on hers. Is yours a standard Taylor guard? I had also thought about a clear pickguard. Do you have a picture of yours?
It just comes down to personal preference. I bought mine used and it already had it on there. Yeah it's a standard Taylor pickguard. My preference is a standard pickguard over clear, but some prefer clear. I had a custom GS I waited for 4 months to get from Taylor, and it had a clear pickguard. With that guitar I liked the clear.

My GS 6 is in the middle...

Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Good for you! Not only did you give her a terrific birthday present but who knows how much that may inspire and further her music aspirations.
Nice job Dad!

Dan
Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. She's started leading worship for her youth group and also playing some for her choir at school. So I definitely wanted to get her something nice that would sound and look good. Wasn't planning on buying one this nice but my local guitar store is a Taylor dealer and took this one on trade. I paid about what a 200 series would cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
It just comes down to personal preference. I bought mine used and it already had it on there. Yeah it's a standard Taylor pickguard. My preference is a standard pickguard over clear, but some prefer clear. I had a custom GS I waited for 4 months to get from Taylor, and it had a clear pickguard. With that guitar I liked the clear.

My GS 6 is in the middle...
Nice! I remember that picture in the last thread I started about this guitar.

Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 09-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Happy birthday to her! A wonderful present, and it is great that she is following in your musical footsteps.

I have that guitar's cousin, nearly identical except mine is a 2006 GS-K. Where your sides are maple, mine are koa. It is the best wood guitar that I own, and the one for any contender to beat.
Bet that looks nice! Koa is a beautiful wood!

Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 09-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! I'm sure she'll never forget that birthday.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 PM

Keith, your story made me smile, thanks! I couldn't get our son interested in playing guitar at her age. He was playing trombone with the Atlanta Youth Symphony, and thought he wanted to be a high school band director. He earned a degree in music education from the University of Georgia. Along the way he began playing guitar a bit. Fast forward a few years, and now he's earned a Master of Divinity in Worship Arts degree from a seminary, and leads worship at a large church not far from where he went to college. He often plays the Taylor T5 Koa we gave him for graduation, but recently he bought a Strat. We're proud of him anyway! There's no telling what your daughter will end up doing with her new GS6, but at this point, the sky's the limit!

cotten
Old 09-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Guest 1511

One of my sons was born in 2001 not long before 9/11, but on his last two birthdays he wanted ukuleles. I keep telling him that one day he'll grow up and want six strings.

I'm sure your daughter absolutely adores that GS6. It's so big she can play it like cello.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 PM

Love the back on that...what a dad...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion