The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-16-2017, 09:16 AM

Default Lessons from Kids

Sometimes children teach us lessons that are wise beyond their years. Many of them are positive of course, but like those from our Dads and Moms, and some are not so positive. Please share a lesson or two that children have taught you.

I saw one Thursday, but thankfully it was not my own child. I stopped for lunch at a crowded Chick-fil-a. Seated only about 4 feet from me were a young Dad, perhaps 30 or so, and his son, about 5. The Dad asked, "Mind if I share one of your potato fries, I didn't get any," reaching across the table. "NO!" yelled the boy. "These are MINE! Get your own fries!" With that, the kid jerked them away, so forcefully that most of them ended up on the floor.

The kid began having a tantrum. "See what you made me do? Now you have to go buy me some more!" "I'm sorry, Billy, but I can't. The reason I didn't buy myself some was because I don't have any more money," the Dad said quietly. Billy sat motionless for a moment. I saw his face soften visibly. "Here, Dad," he said, sliding the remainder across the table. "They're all yours anyway - you paid for them!"

I honestly didn't expect that reaction, that lesson in gratitude, from a preschooler. Before I could move, a bright young lady employee brought over a fresh order to replace those that had ended up on the floor. The Dad's voice cracked a bit when he said, "Um, I can't pay for these..." She replied, "It's on the house, our pleasure!" When she walked away, the kid's mouth was wide open, as if he'd just gotten a new puppy for Christmas. He and his Dad shared them, and even offered me some.

Actually, there were several lessons being taught in those few moments. Ingratitude of a kid. Self control and humbleness of a Dad. Graciousness by the Manager, and a rather dramatic change in attitude by a 5-yr. old. I hope he remembers that lesson. I will.

What lessons have kids taught you?

cotten
Old 09-16-2017, 10:07 AM

The most profound lesson I remember (my youngest is 31 this year) is from the morning my first child was born. I had been a rather self-centered, wild young adult. I looked into those big blue eyes and just melted. I sold my motorcycle and bought an old Chevy station wagon. I started attending work every day (when I used to take a day off as soon as I had one to take). I worked every hour they would give me. So I guess the lesson was self-sacrifice. I learned it well.

I don't think I would have survived my 20's if it hadn't been for that little girl.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Other peoples kids have always been a lesson in learning for me. We choose not to have kids. Which was a decision directly relating to the "Fathers Lessons" thread. As a young adult I was fearful I might carry my fathers anger issue. Sure as hell didn't want to take a chance and we collectively decided, no children. I have lived vicariously through other peoples kids. Nieces and nephews, friends and neighbors... I love them all and try to be a positive influence wherever possible. Taught a girl scout troop how to make earrings for their fund raisers. 13 year old girls can be very interesting.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:59 PM
G625 mistral-k

Most important lesson I learned...

One of the tragedies in life is the child that dies within us as we grow older.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
What lessons have kids taught you?

cotten
I've learned many forms of be nice. Add why my grandparents and parents always gave the best or last of a tasty item to the kids.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 AM

I well remember the day when a dad with three young adult children came into my office and closed the door. We were friends, and he was a member of my church. He barely held back the tears as he told me that his wife had left him for another man, which I had already heard about. That was hard enough. But compounding his grief was the fact that he barely knew his children, and they were totally disinterested in him. He explained that as they were growing up, he had spent a lot of time travelling for his company, and even when he could be home with his family, he often chose to stay elsewhere. He had simply lost contact with both his wife and kids.

He saw a guitar in the corner of my office, and could no longer control his tears. I simply listened for a while, and when he regained a bit of composure, I asked what was wrong. He said he used to play guitar, and one of his favorite songs was Harry Chapin's "Cat's In the Cradle." He was crying because it had literally become true for him. His children were unknowingly teaching him a painful lesson.

I made it home in time for dinner that day.

[youtube]etundhQa724[/etundhQa724]

cotten
Old 10-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Our 7-yr. old granddaughter had an interesting observation as they family was packing up to head home after vacation.

"Boy, a week at the beach is a LOT shorter than a week in school!"

Ain't it the truth?

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic