The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 AM

Default Guitar Banjo

I have a Tyler Mountain Guitar Banjo my bro bought me for christmas one year. It's 6 strings, and tuned like a gutar.

It definitely has the sound of a banjo, but I'm not sure what kind of music you'd play on it so the music sounds like banjo music. I can finger pick, but picking out the chords and such still doesn't really should banjo-ish.

I'm not sure how to explain it.
Maybe if you can understand what I'm saying, maybe you can give me some pointers. What do banjo's do that guitars don't. Could it just be the different tuning??

Taylor 314CE
Plus a bunch of cheapo and mod's.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:20 AM

I use mine for songs that I feel would sound good on a banjo. It will never have that clawhammer type sound, but a basic 3 chord song using a Travis style picking pattern sounds just fine to me.

I don't think I would play a song with a lot of minors or odd chords, but give it a try. It might sound good.

Keep in mind, my answer is coming from a guy who plays mostly children's music. Kids love the sound and "Oh Susanha" sounds just fine.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 AM

String band jazz from the 20s. . .. Old Tyme music. . . Jug band music. . . Its really a specialty sort of instrument.

Think Louis Armstrong and the Hot Five.

Check these guys out, they have a "guitjo" player, and he's a huge part of their sound. I've even called that guitjo their secret weapon.

I notice rhythm-wise it sort of takes the place of the mandolin, you know chopped chords. . . . but in this band Kevin (guitjo player) does a lot of interesting fills.

Anyway the band is The Old Crow Medicine Show and this is their site, there are sound samples:

The Old Crow Medicine Show

Here's a good discussion and fan site with chords, lyrics, etc....

Old Crow Fan Site

Hope that gives you some insight.

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 08-17-2005, 09:06 AM

That "banjo sound" you might be finding elusive probably emmanates from a 5-string, bluegrass (or open-back) banjo, where the 5th string (up the neck is where you'll find the tuning peg-and it's tuned in "G" tuning to an octave "G"-like a G-string on a 12), is the drone string.

Three-finger (or Scruggs picking) is used for that bluegrassy, banjo sound. 5-strings also make appearances in non-bluegrass or country songs to add to the musical pallatte (Billy Joel, for instance-had one used to great effect in "Travelin' Prayer" on his debut album, for instance; there are, of course, more recent examples, from the Eagles, and many others).

Recently, I've see 6-string banjos used by Keith Urban's group, and Montgomery-Gentry (both C/W). They are strummed or arpeggioed. You can use a flat pick on them, ala a guitar. 5-strings commonly use finger picks, or bare fingers for picking; usually bare fingers for frailing or clawhammer. You can find out anything about banjos by visiting banjohangout.org.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 08-17-2005, 10:35 AM

Since you've got one...
Try this for me. If you have a cut capo for your regular guitar, try it on the banjo guitar. I use one a lot on my 414 and really enjoy fingerpicking with it. I've often thought the tuning it creates has a banjo or, others say, a dulcimer sound. If you're not familiar with the cut capo [or partial capo as some call it] check with Kaiser or Schubb [however you spell it], or just type in "cut capo" on your search engine and it'll take you some places with cord charts and instructions for making your own cut capo. Give it a shot.
Keep in touch
Old 08-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Interesting, never heard of one of these, so I'm curious and have 3 questions:

- How does the volume compare to a regular acoustic? In bluegrass the banjo usually dominates the mix, so I'm guessing it's pretty danged LOUD...

- How does the tone compare to a resonator guitar?

- Finally, just to be sure, you're talking 6 strings, none of which drone, right?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:32 AM

I don't have a cut capo, but I do know about them.. I have done a little playing by turning a keyser capo around so it only hits three strings. I'll mess with some different picking styles and see what happens.

Other questions, Yes it's pretty loud.
It's also very short because the strings run the length of the drum head, the neck doesn't extend out so long, it actually makes it a little ocward to play.

The tone/sound is VERY banjo.. Not resonator. It has almost zero sustain. Also, it uses electric strings, It came with heavy gauge electrics on it, not acoustic strings.

Taylor 314CE
Old 08-17-2005, 11:35 AM

By the way, here's a picture/auction for one mostly identical to mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TYLER-MOUNTAIN-6...QQcmdZViewItem

It has a floating bridge, I'm not sure of the wood, it's very dark with a deep strait grain.

Taylor 314CE
Old 08-17-2005, 03:23 PM

I may have to bid on that. I really want one of those.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
RednekHippieMotrcycleFrk

Keith Urban uses one on the song "Somebody Like You". If you go to his website, you can hear the song on streaming audio.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelP2600
Other questions, Yes it's pretty loud.
It's also very short because the strings run the length of the drum head, the neck doesn't extend out so long, it actually makes it a little ocward to play.
I think you mean "awkward" Judging from the pic, it does look a little short-necked. Some will say a 6-string banjo is NOT a "real" banjo; it's a cheat. Urban's group uses it pretty effectively, but I hear 5-string in the mix too.

If you're interested in a REAL banjo, get yourself a nice 5-string, and some instructional videos. Banjos seem to be anathema here. Too bad. By 2015, they will replace acoustic guitars as the most purchased acoustic instrument.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 08-17-2005, 05:57 PM

Probably the string picking pattern isn't like the banjo so although the sound is the same the chords etc. still sound a little guitarish. I don't own one but I have tried them out in stores and that was my impression.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM

Some interesting demonstration video clips of 6 and 12 string banjos in action at....

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2530.htm

If my wife weren't rubbed the wrong way by the banjo sound I would want one.....

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

Last edited by astrummer; 08-17-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 AM

Who says it has to sound like a traditional 5-stringer? Might be fun to play some of the classical standards on it, or perhaps jazz. I think it could be just the thing for a progressive country funk trio, together with a left handed accordian and cowbell.

I mean, traditions can be good, sometimes, but there comes a time in a musician's life when horizons just beg to be broadened, right?

cotten
Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHead
Anyway the band is The Old Crow Medicine Show and this is their site, there are sound samples:

The Old Crow Medicine Show

Here's a good discussion and fan site with chords, lyrics, etc....

Old Crow Fan Site

Hope that gives you some insight.
Kevin's my cousin (no, I'm not kidding). I wonder what standard tuning is for his guitjo.

Last edited by Takamine_Owl; 01-08-2006 at 11:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments