The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-27-2002, 09:24 PM
More guitars than talent

Thanks RL. Unfortunately even though I live in a metro area of 250,000 people (7 music stores), each MAY have one mandolin. I have a choice of a mid-m which has a round soundhole. I didn't like the sound. Gibson, out of my price range. Fender FM52-E and Epiphone a/e (laminates). No one has used. Country music is big here, but not bluegrass.

I don't think any of the brands you suggested have f-holes, they all have round sound holes. I want the f-hole sound.

My friend who is our local legend luthier said to get solid wood and a truss rod. If Kentucky really is, that would seem my best bet price wise. If your friend has a good suggestion, please pass it on.

JW - I will assume your local guy is over $500 for his mandolins?

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG

Last edited by beatlenut; 04-27-2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RL
My impression is that the thinner the instrument, especially fiddle/mandolin, the more unlike a mandolin(how's that for vague?) the instrument sounds.

I've had a few Flatiron M style(pancake style) mandolins. Very thin(all solid woods) but it had a big sound...brighter though than others I've owned built in a more traditional style.
Those flat-top Flatirons really are an exception to this rule. My 1N doesn't have the elegance of tone of a good A or F style carved top mando, but it packs a strong punch. FWIW, it doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, but even though it hasn't always had the best of care, the neck needs no work.

BTW, I was at Buffalo Brothers earlier today, and they had a used 1N for $500. It's about the same age as mine (early 80s) and in pretty good shape. I think the price is a little high, but they might be open to haggling. Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:38 PM

Keith,

Just sent another message your way.

Any decent 'mando' with f holes is going to run some $$$. Maybe the thing to do is to find a used mando at a reasonable price just to see if this is an instrument you'll like. Don't pay list though for the Asian instruments as most of them aren't worth more than $75 to $100 on trade in. If you aren't sure, do like me, pay $75 for something just to start out with.

Truth is, any mando with f style holes that sounds decent is going to be around that $1,000 mark starting. Other solid wood mando's under that are going to have the round sound hole.

Best of luck.

R.L.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:26 AM
More guitars than talent

My Kentucky 250S is still on back order (a month now) and I might be changing my mind. Is the neck very skinny on the Kentucky's? That's my biggest concern. I found a used handmade walnut solidbody double cut away with EMG pickup (switchable single coil/humbucker) for $400 w/gigbag and am leaning that way. It would hardly ever be used acoustically except to practice with. Live it would always be plugged in.
Funny thing is that the builder lives only a few houses away and I found the used one in the internet from some guy in New Mexico. The mandolins are too pricey for me new, but used I can get it for $400 with gigbag. It's the second one down in the link.

http://www.experiencedinstruments.co...s/inv_mand.htm

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 05-27-2002, 01:21 PM
.tom the übergeek

OK, here are some additions.

FACT: The 150s and 250s Kentucky are all solid instruments. They are NOT hand carved tops. If I remember, the actully press the tops into that shape. This makes a bunch of difference. If you have ever seen a builder of a mando or archtop guitar carve and "tap tune" a top, you will know why good carved top instruments are so expensive.

Now, all that said, I believe that there is a use for all those instruments. However, I need to ask THE question (no I am not asking you to marry me ) What are you wanting from this mando? Bluegrass? Folk? Are you a beginner? Are you wanting an instrument to last a lifetime or just till you get through a year of playing and decide you will stay with it and move into a nicer box? OK, that was more than one question but that would help me.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:27 PM
.tom the übergeek

Beatlenut,

That mando is pretty cool looking. However, an EMG (Select) or any mag pickup is not going to give a mando tone plugged in. If you are in an experimental "jam band" kind of thing, jump all over it. I could see that being way hip. However, otherwise, you are going to be sorry....except if you would add a piezo bridge to it and mix the two...but you are into more $$$ at that point.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:45 PM
More guitars than talent

Here is the actual description of the Kentucky KM250S:

A-style body with solid carved spruce top, solid carved maple back and sides, and a high-gloss traditional nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Long-scale maple neck with truss rod and 15th fret joint just like the vintage original. Nickel plated hardware. Adjustable, compensated, polished rosewood bridge. 14:1 ratio deluxe gear tuners. Mother-of-pearl peghead inlay. $199

I would be having another luthier friend of mine install a Barcus Berry pickup that he has on the Kentucky. He says list is over $100 and will give it to me for $50 and install it along with a complete setup for $40. From what I hear about Kentucky factory setups, I will be getting my moneys worth.

Yes, I'm sure they are careful with the words. Its says solid carved spruce top, which probably doesn't mean hand carved. I am an absolute beginner. I have played guitar for 25 years and just want to dabble in the mandolin. I don't think it will ever go much further than the hobby stage. I may play live in the worship band (I play acoustic and electric in it now) once in a blue moon and will be plugged in. I am testing out one of the builders prototypes right now. He is letting me borrow it for a week to help in my decision, nice guy! It is louder than I expected acoustically and sounds like a mandolin to me unplugged, more sustain than bite though. It's very well made and has stayed in tune over the last couple of days. Plugged in though, I would agree that the EMG gives it a warmer tone and more of an in-between mandolin and guitar sound.

Old 05-30-2002, 02:38 PM

The Kentucky line are good quality for the $
Check the KM250S

http://www.fretland.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments