The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Recording video and audio for YouTube

Hi,

I'm taking a guitar class online where one component is to record and post videos to get a badge, or pass a lesson.

I'm pretty technically adept, or at least so I thought, but can't really seem to find any instructions which clearly show how I might record a video with some decent audio for guitar. Mostly the tutorials cover voice.

What I've tried:
  • I've tried using the webcam on my MacBook Pro. Terrible sound, un-usable.
  • I have a USB mic, but can't find the cord. Easy enough to solve, but I recall the first time I tried to use it, I didn't get nearly enough volume out of it.

What I have for equipment:
  • Webcams in my macbook and my cinema displays
  • A USB mic sans cord
  • A mic stand
  • A Canon 6D DSLR
  • An iPhone
  • An iPad
  • MacBook Pro + Cinema Display
  • A couple of tripod options, large and small
  • Studio umbrellas for flash with stands
  • An ancient camcorder that records to tapes
  • iMovie, Garage Band, whatever Mac software...
  • A K&K pickup which I'd be happy to install in one of my guitars, + a pre-amp.

I can get whatever software is needed and am willing to spend a couple hundred if I have to.

I'm not looking for a pro setup, just something that records audio well. Anyone have a good tutorial that covers this?

I've heard of people recording audio and video separately, which sounds complicated as I have no mixing experience in Garage Band or whatever. Willing to learn if I have the right setup.

Any help? Thanks SO much!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM

fran is a member here and he has threads that you may want to search out. he also has his own site listed below.

i have done audio/video recordings using my nikon dslr, my iphone, my audio interface, logic pro X and imovie with my 27"imac. i have not posted to youtube, yet.

play music!
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Solutions To Videoing

A lot of really good buskers are getting great result with a IPhone and a good small state of the art P.A. - a small one mind you .

Dig this guy's set up and how it sounds . It's simple and fast and up loadable via your smartphone wifi connection .

This was just posted recorded in India :

Nice France :

He uses a Behringer 10" powered speaker and the IPHone most times . The results have garnered him a strong following
The Behringer is a good way to go . He's been hauling that speaker all over England , Spain , Italy , Romania ,
Croatia and now India . That says a lot about that speaker's reliability . The sound , well hearing is believing .

I use something different but it's the same , a P.A. being picked up audibly by a IPHone 5s mic .

You can also get more technical and use a interface into a iPHone to hook a quality LCD 48 VDC phantom
powered mic or a SM57 Shure , which is what I'm about to try myself .
this is a perfect quick simple way to live stream HD audio with video on social media .

The Irig Pro is one of my interfaces and the other is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 .
The Scarlett is about $250.00 and the Irig Pro about $149.00

Adapter for IOS IPHone/IPad

Good Luck :

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 02-11-2018, 02:23 AM

Use you Canon for video and a mic into computer for sound. Process the sound in your DAW. Use a simple clap before starting to synch audio and Video.
Martin J40
Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 AM

Seems to me the simpliest is your iPhone for video and an Apogee mic for the audio, I think they run around 250.00. See my thread about looking for a mic for Samsung phone, I posted a video done just like I mentioned above to see if you like it. simple, simple, simple.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=499101
Old 02-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Use you Canon for video and a mic into computer for sound. Process the sound in your DAW. Use a simple clap before starting to synch audio and Video.
Ah, the clap is super helpful, thanks! I knew ther was a way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Seems to me the simpliest is your iPhone for video and an Apogee mic for the audio, I think they run around 250.00. See my thread about looking for a mic for Samsung phone, I posted a video done just like I mentioned above to see if you like it. simple, simple, simple.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=499101
Very helpful thanks!

I found the cord and got it working with my MacBook Pro, the iSight cam and iMoovie. Good enough for now. Look forward to trying the 6D for video later.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied, great info in all of the posts! I appreciate the help.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
fran is a member here and he has threads that you may want to search out. he also has his own site listed below.

i have done audio/video recordings using my nikon dslr, my iphone, my audio interface, logic pro X and imovie with my 27"imac. i have not posted to youtube, yet.

play music!
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/
i just checked out your home brewed site-- you play beautifully! love it
Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 AM

I just put together this setup and it works great.

Hanging below the iPhone is an 1k Multimedia I-Rig Pre HD. I paid 99 bucks for it at Micro Center. The I-Rig app lets you record and take video using the Iphone's front camera. I have a 6s plus, so the highest resolution i can get from that camera is 1080. It's plugged into the Direct Out on the back of the Fishman Loudbox Artist amp. The guitar (an '02 Seagull Artist Series solid Spruce/Mahagony CW with LR-Baggs I-Beam) is plugged into Channel 1 and the Shure SM58 is plugged into Channel 2. The amp is now a 2 channel mixer. I can record by setting the Gains on the amp and turning the Master Volume all the way off and just use headphones to monitor. No feedback to worry about. The Fishman's onboard effects are nice too. I cannot recommend a Fishman Loudbox or the I-Rig Pre HD enough.

I have a Scarlet Solo too, but the I-Rig Pre HD is really much simpler and more portable for me to use quickly and I can use the app to do some post processing and export to my I-Cloud drive as a finished product ready to upload to my YouTube channel.

The great thing about the I-Rig is that you dont even need an amp or a guitar with electrics. 1 good microphone (mine is a low budget AKG P120) is all you need which is what I did here. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=500842
The I-Rig supplies phantom power so you can use a condenser mic. The downside of that setup is it didn't pickup my vocals (so i didn't post that take) very well due to the mic placement. That's one of the things that is great about the Fishman amp. Multi channel balanced inputs and a direct out!

Last edited by Johnny K; 02-28-2018 at 10:13 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD