The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Neck Reset?

Has anyone ever struggled with deciding if a guitar is worth a neck reset? The guitar in question sounds good and has sentimental value, however a neck reset would cost a little over half of what the guitar is worth. Thoughts? thanks!

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 03-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Guest 1928

Let's say you have a $1,000 car that's old but perfectly functional and reliable. Only problem, the tires are worn out. Are you going to drive around on bald tires or spend $400 to get safe new tires?

If you're the kind of guy who would keep the bald tires, then don't get the neck reset either.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
Has anyone ever struggled with deciding if a guitar is worth a neck reset? The guitar in question sounds good and has sentimental value, however a neck reset would cost a little over half of what the guitar is worth. Thoughts? thanks!
I would feel uncomfortable trying to sell a guitar that needed a neck reset, even after disclosing that fact to potential buyers. If I wanted to keep the guitar for sentimental or sonic/behavioral reasons, I would either (i) do the neck reset and play it gladly or (ii) not do the neck reset, play it infrequently and wonder why I haven't done the neck reset each time I play it.

As to the cost benefit analysis, some guitars have value beyond its monetary value.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Let's say you have a $1,000 car that's old but perfectly functional and reliable. Only problem, the tires are worn out. Are you going to drive around on bald tires or spend $400 to get safe new tires?

If you're the kind of guy who would keep the bald tires, then don't get the neck reset either.

I really do like this analogy.
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 03-29-2016, 06:49 PM

Alright, I'm thinking I'll get the reset when the time comes. The neck angle isn't that bad yet. I should have a year or two to save up

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post

As to the cost benefit analysis, some guitars have value beyond its monetary value.
Exactly. I own a furniture restoration business and the cost of refinishing is often more than you could sell it for or buy another one. But the value is not the price you could sell it for. The value is what it is worth to you.

Reasons to do it:
Well it needs to be done as part of normal maintenance for the guitar. (The replace the tires analogy)

Environmentally it is the right thing to do. Fix what you have rather than buy new. That goes for cars and washing machines too.

It holds memories for you. This guitar means something to you. It is worth more than what some stranger might pay for it on eBay. Maybe your kids will want it some day. I have my grandfather's customkraft archtop circa 1940s. Honestly it is not a good guitar by any stretch but I love it all the same.

What happens if you don't do it? Throw it away and cut down more hardwood trees to make a new guitar. So wasteful.

I have an old Harmony Sovereign that needed a neck reset. I took around town to all the local guitar stores. They told me it was not worth putting money into. Pretty sure they just wanted to sell me a new guitar.

Don't let anyone else judge what it is worth. It is worth what it is worth to you.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb
Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Yes. If its a hard to find guitar in great shape with great tone, small production run, of course, go for it. but it its run of the mill sounds good but so what,- forget about it.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
The guitar in question sounds good and has sentimental value...
Impossible to put a dollar sign on sentimental value, so in the end you're the only one who can answer your question.
If it were mine and I liked the tone, I'd spend the money for a reset. Good chance the tone, playability and volume will all improve.
'14 Martin 00-15m
Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 AM

I think we look at things like this wrong. Instead of calculating the resale value of the guitar, calculate the cost to buy a whole new guitar then add the residual value of the instrument you are writing off. Essentially, replacement value plus loss on he original guitar.

I also tend to think of how much use I have gotten from an instrument. Most of mine have fully compensated me for their purchase price long before they need a reset. Once done, the reset will be good for over ten years so if you amortize the cost over the period of use, resets are pretty cheap.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:57 AM

It's a personal decision and logic may not have much to do with it.

I got a neck re-set done on an old guitar that cost $59.95 originally simply because it was my first acoustic guitar and I had a strong nostalgic attachment to it.

In doing so, I located an up and coming luthier who was doing nice work, but hadn't developed the reputation to charge top dollar yet. He did a great job for a very reasonable price (and now I sing his praises!)

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 03-30-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The cops will then stop you and fine you and add points to your license for being in possession of an unplayable guitar ...
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 AM

Worst comes to worst, use it for slide..
Old 03-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I also tend to think of how much use I have gotten from an instrument. Most of mine have fully compensated me for their purchase price long before they need a reset. Once done, the reset will be good for over ten years so if you amortize the cost over the period of use, resets are pretty cheap.
I think the 'how-much-use-we've-had-out-of-it' argument is cold comfort to the person faced with the bill. If some licensed bandit with a stethoscope and a lab coat quotes me his crippling, debt-inducing rate to remove an ingrown toenail, am I going to consider myself blessed for all the years I've pranced and cavorted with gay abandon? I don't think we rationalize our financial mishaps in such expansive terms, do we?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I bought 'The Beater' (see sig line below) for a grand ($1,000) from a buddy. It was pretty beat up with a lot of finish checking, some dings here and there, the bridge had been reglued and it needed a neck reset, although it wasn't super bad and it could have been used as is for quite some time. But it sounded great, played great, and just had a ton of mojo. So I had it checked out by a local expert who pronounced it in great shape minus the few things it needed to have done. I bought it.

I went back and forth on whether to get the neck reset done. Like I said, it played and sounded great and the neck wasn't super bad. The action was not horrible by any means. But in the end I decided to get it done if only so then I could sell it if I wanted without the worry of it needing one and therefore affecting the selling price/interest. It cost me just under $400 for everything and that included the neck reset, replacement of two sticky tuning machines and a fret dressing.

It came out great and plays even better now. I've got $1,400 into it which I could easily recover if I sell it. In fact, I even put it up on CL locally for a short while and was offered $1,800 for it before I changed my mind and pulled it down. So I know I could make more. But it just plays too well and because it's already dinged and checked up, I can take it places where I wouldn't want to take the Santa Cruz. Hence the nickname, The Beater!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

If it's a fifty dollar guitar but to you it's worth having it playable, yes it's worth a reset.

The value of a guitar should not be used in determining if it's worth it. what should be considered is what is it worth to you.

My DM will need a reset at some point. When that time comes I will have it done because to me it's worth the cost of a reset. Even if it costs me what I paid for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, gibson, neck reset, repair