The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2014, 01:20 PM

It's really not so much of a dent as it is the whole fretboard cracking clean off my old classical guitar... Unepairable damage. It was carved out of a single piece of wood at a workshop in Spain, but cost next to nothing back in the 70's when my father brought it home. Such a nice guitar, though it had seen better days, but then the family dog heard a noise one day and ran to the frontdoor, and in the process of that he knocked over the guitar which fell into the table and somehow snapped the neck in half.. Tragic, but it would have happened at some point since it was pretty fragile
Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Wanted to add a banjo to the range of instruments and sounds that I use... bought it in California and got a hard case with it while I flew back home to Canada. Got it home. Put it on a small guitar stand next to my office. Couple of days later, as I'm sitting on the sofa, I hear this awful crash sound and I see a furry blur fly across the room. The cat had knocked the banjo to the hardwood floor. The only damage; shattered nut. Remarkably no other visible dings anywhere on it. After my local tech replaced the nut you'd never know.

Ok, it was only a banjo, still counts though *ducks*.

On the other hand, I have a rather nice Fender Jazz hanging on the wall and, for some reason, almost every time I take it off the peg, I spend more time making sure the body doesn't whack anything en route than I don't check anything else. The result being that I invariably smack the headstock end against the ceiling.

I try not to baby my guitars... but I do take care. My old ones are delightfully beaten up but the new ones are mostly ding free even though I know it's only a matter of time.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:57 PM

My first guitar was a Yamaha Spanish. My Mom was whooping my bottom with a leather belt for something I had done wrong (don't remember what).
She missed .... and the belt buckle hit the guitar - near the sound hole.
It made a good-sized dent in the soundboard.
After that, I didn't want to play that guitar.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM

I was watching a YouTube lesson with my Gibson Gospel. I leaned forward to adjust the volume and hit the keyboard tray. Put a 2" long visible mar in the top. I was sick about it for a week then I got over it!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousta View Post
My first guitar was a Yamaha Spanish. My Mom was whooping my bottom with a leather belt for something I had done wrong (don't remember what).
She missed .... and the belt buckle hit the guitar - near the sound hole.
It made a good-sized dent in the soundboard.
After that, I didn't want to play that guitar.
that is a very sad story.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Story no.1: Got a brand new Lakewood Om style guitar - cedar top (German made high quality instrument).

Took it to first gig. put case on floor - lid open to acclimatise the guitar - went to bar.

Bass player took out double bass and extended the prong thing. Stood up his bass looking carefully at headstock - put pointy end of prong all along top of my ne guitar - no breaks just a long indent. He came to bar to tell me assuming I'd go crazy - I didn't - it was me who opened the case. Played it like that for some years - got good trade in price.

Story no.2: 1999 - after some years of unemployment and once again in a secure job, treated myself to a Collings DS2H - which cost twice as much as anything I'd bought before.

Took a local pub gig - very cheap fee - few interested - did my gig, put guitar on stand - went to bar ...... CRASH ! Six week old guitar face down on floor with slot-head in three bits. Oh how I laughed !

Still got it battered, scarred - great guitar.

My recommendation - get your flash new guitar - dent it asap., then relax and enjoy.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Here's mine, and here's the story (and repair process) of how it happened:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=317057

As many have said, get the first dent over with. Then, you'll love your instrument more as a "work-horse" that you've gone to battle with than just something you admire.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 PM

picture frame on top of speaker.D-28 below in an open case.
I was thankful it was a guitar that had been repaired for a crack before.
That ding still bothered me for a while though.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Combine a cold day, the corner of a piano bench and maybe a few beers and you the ingredients for an accident. I really don't want to talk about it.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 PM

My last story isn't even my worst. I once attempted to repair my trusty old lawsuit Takamine but instead damaged it in spectacular fashion. Fortunately, it lived a full life.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 PM

Stuff happens. I've dropped my mandolin a few times because of the strap coming off the endpin, and it upsets me for a while...until I tune it up again. I forget about it after awhile.

And at least, it's not a Gibson, Flatiron, or any medium or high-end mandolin!

I've also dropped my guitars out of the case, when I forget I didn't close the latches when I've picked up the the guitar case. It does bother me, but again...stuff happens.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 PM

Default first dent

I got my first dent on my Larrivee Parlour guitar when my tuner flew out of my hand....the corner of the tuner hit the Larrivee where a binding might have been....very small dent in the wood, which I see every time I play it....but it still makes beautiful music...
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 PM

As I was reading this thread, my two cats just came barreling down the hallway, made a sharp turn, claws scraping, and almost crashed into my brand-new Martin 000-15sm, which is sitting in its stand, unsecured. Gaaah!!!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-30-2014, 12:54 AM

Well, I just started "playing" a few days ago, so I am not experienced nor do I have a ton of stories of my "battle scars", butttt;

I just bought my Yamaha a few days ago (5 I think?(Definitely no Martin, but still, my first baby)).

After messin' 'round a bit, I was going to lay it in my case.

On the 3 foot walk over to it, my dog decided to go below my feet.

Both me and the guitar went toppling down, but I threw my self under it.

No damage. Close call. You can bet I keep my door close when I play now.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:32 AM

Two types of guitars...................those that are dented and those that will be dented..................sometime...!!!
Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
damage, guitar, repair