The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec View Post
I have a Fender CP-100 parlor guitar that is really nice. I was pleasantly surprised.
If i offended you Ken, im sorry -Ive just seen so many people buy a fender acoustic or got one from their grandmother for Christmas that were absolutely horrible guitars ( at least up till now ) -many of which killed the persons desire to learn the guitar -I know Fender bought Guild some time back and American made Guilds are for the most part great guitars -but they dont have the fender name on them.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM

If you like it, yes.
If you don't like it, no.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM

Much better sounding ......
Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 AM

I would say no. It only encourages fender to keep building them.
Kidding.
I would say that fender electrics have a long history of being great.
The acoustics don't. The Guild purchase may have made some real progress.
As always...try before you buy.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM

I have a booth inside at a flea market where I have been selling used low end acoustic guitars for 7 years,only open on Sundays. I have bought and sold a lot of guitars and make sure they are payable. I will do a setup, clean them and put new strings on them and sell them at bargain prices. Fender acoustics are a very good sellers, many people see that iconic name and have to have it. I am a low pressure seller and will also talk to the buyer of much better guitars that I may have at the time but most times they want that Fender.
As far as sound goes, I haven't played a Fender acoustic yet that sounded good. Most sound really bad. Strats, Teles, Jaguars and Jazzmasters well to me, there is nothing better IMHO.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
If i offended you Ken, im sorry...
Nah. I would have said the same thing prior to me getting the CP-100. I took a risk, and actually thought I'd be sending it back. But boy, I like it a lot. I would prefer a 1-3/4" nut, but I can adapt. Workmanship is really good. And, even the tuners (which I thought I would need to replace) are very good - not too loose and not too tight. Just right.

'83 Gibson J-25 l '93 Gibson J-45 l '06 Avalon Gold D200 (Furch) l Tanglewood TW73-WN l RK RP-06 l RK ROS-06 lRK RO-06 l Blues 32 | Alvarez AP70

Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Default Should I buy this Fender acoustic?

My first guitar was a similar fender. It was terrible. Please consider a Yamaha or Seagull. Stay away from that guitar.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM

My 1st Post! So, i do agree with all your comments but the Fender is not THAT bad, it's just ok. I bought a Fender acoustic before Christmas. I took a friend of mine who's a very good electric guitar player to GC and he played all the acoustic's in my price range and the Fender sounded the best to us so i bought it. I can't remember what else we played that day so as i look back maybe the Fender was the only one in tune at GC that day who knows Long story short, i started wanting a better sounding guitar so yesterday i just bought a Yamaha A1R. Glad to hear the Fender's are popular on the secondary market, i'm thinking it goes on Craigslist this week!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeehler7 View Post
That fender is real expensive for an all laminate guitar. Maybe check out some cheaper Yamaha guitars in that price range. Those will at least have a solid wood top, which in the end should give you a better sounding guitar.

This. I've bought for students and played both. Yamahas from now on.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM

I`ve been playing acoustic guitar for fun since I was 16,, I turn 57 in a couple of days. In that time one of the worse acoustics I have played was a Fender. It made my fingers and ears bleed at the same time.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM

I had a Fender Sonoran I really wanted to like, I like the shape of Fender's cut away dreads, it was Candy Apple Red with white body binding and a three layer w/b/w pickguard, rosewood fret board maple neck with a color matched strat type headstock with the gold spaghetti logo. It was a looker and the on-board electronics sounded good. However it sounded thin and it's size and length seemed huge in a tight space. The kicker was the long 25.5 scale length (I think perhaps longer) and high string tension always aggravated the pain in my fretting hand palm.
Bought new in 1978
2010 Breedlove Passport "A" tuned
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM

I tried a non-electrified CD-60 at a store here when I was helping a friend find a starter guitar. Didn't like the tone, sounded boxy and lifeless. The strings had actually cut into the plastic saddle, and not just a little bit either. The B and G strings were flush with the top of the saddle, and not just the one I picked up. Two others were like that, too. The nut was cut too high, and the overall action was high enough to throw the intonation about 5-10 cents sharp at the twelfth fret. There are better guitars out there in that price range, like Yamaha and Seagull.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Guest 429

QUOTE=natdiva;3395359]hi! i'm planning to buy the Fender CD60-CE but I read some reviews and most of them says it sucks. soo should I buy it? do you recommend it?[/QUOTE]

Most of the reviews of the CD60-CE are quite favorable...and not simply reviews from beginners.

I have one. Great second guitar...or gigging guitar for those who don't want to bring their very best for use with vocals. Also great guitar for experienced players who play well and sing well and who have realized this truth: people could really care less what acoustic you use to accompany your vocals.

Great value in an all lam guitar with Fishman preamp with a reliable natural acoustic tone plugged in and very balanced warm tone unplugged. Responds very well to pick variations...and fingerpicking.

Great design: all lam with scalloped bracing. Great neck. Very good QC. It records well and mics well if you don't plug it in.

Set up? Truss rod adjustment, about 2mm off the saddle...very nice playability even with slightly higher action than "spec" (which I prefer). I'll say this: I think they ship these guitars with the truss rod opened up...but over a 2 day period I adjusted the truss for slight relief and much better playability and tone. Intonation, fine.

Better string spacing than Yamaha IMO...with a shorter scale length (25.3").

For less than $269 out the door with a hardshell case included (nut and saddle-that fits better than any Yamaha stock saddle I've owned- and made of Graphtech Nubone) one of the best values out there. You also get an allen wrench, extra saddle and bridge pin.

Great tight rhythms with this guitar and a very direct kind of flatpick option. A "guitarry" kind of sound, sort of out of Acoustic Blues and Old Time. Fine for Acoustic Rock/Punk/Country/Pop. Not bad at all for comping trad jazz stuff from the 20s. The stock strings are fine, but I opted for a set of EJ17s...tuned down a half step a more musical ride and spot on intonation. A more "redneck" "Sun Record" kinda sound with PBs but I like it.

As much as I have praised and hyped guitars like the Yamaha FG700S or FG730S...no problem for me recommending this guitar for someone looking for vocals way up front and a solid grounded player. It holds together whatever I hit it with.

Last edited by Guest 429; 06-17-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM

I have a fender acoustic. It's alright i suppose. Ive had it for about 10 years. I would look into yamaha and seagull guitars. They're pretty great for the money. Fender acoustic guitars are not very good. I don't think i would ever buy another one. The only reason i have one now is because it was my first acoustic i bought 10 years ago. I didn't know any better, and i purchased it online from Musicians friend. I chose it because i liked the look of the sunburst finish and i thought that fender was a good name in guitars in general. I didn't know that their acoustic guitars were not as good as their electric guitars. If i could go back in time i probably would of got a yamaha fg700s instead.

Edit: I just now saw that another poster above said the same thing as me: Yamaha and Seagull. !

Last edited by yoda_soda; 05-07-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballbryan View Post
My first guitar was a similar fender. It was terrible. Please consider a Yamaha or Seagull. Stay away from that guitar.
I've played Seagull and Yamaha guitars that were terrible too , the brand does not the sound make....... I've played some Fender acoustics that were just fine, yes i've played some terrible Fenders too but I can say the same for any guitar mfg. out there.

Any guitar that you like, and you can afford, you buy.

I know that you asked if you should buy it...but. Don't buy, or not buy, a guitar because someone else tells you to.

If you are buying online then it is a crap shoot, for any guitar. If you can, try before you buy....

FWIW .... I still own a Fender acoustic that I got way back in 1980, it still plays and sounds just fine..... any day of the week.

Last edited by bobby b; 05-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fender, guitar