The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-31-2017, 12:21 PM

I took a leap in a major way and just ordered a Deering Saratoga Star with their swiss made tone ring. I wanted it for solo instrumental work so the big voice will be plus. It will see not just folk and bluegrass but also classical music, Bach in particular ala Bela Fleck.

I just loved the way the Saratoga Star sounded. Not as brash as many other models.

Cincy
Old 03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I took a leap in a major way and just ordered a Deering Saratoga Star with their swiss made tone ring. I wanted it for solo instrumental work so the big voice will be plus. It will see not just folk and bluegrass but also classical music, Bach in particular ala Bela Fleck.

I just loved the way the Saratoga Star sounded. Not as brash as many other models.

Cincy
Cincy, Congratulations! Deerings can be had with more bling but the Saratoga Star is as good as it gets with what really counts, especially with the Jens Kruger Tone Ring. Enjoy!

P.S. I saw Tony Trischka with his band, The Down City Ramblers, back in October 1968, doing a concert at my school, S.U.N.Y. College Of Environmental Science & Forestry, Syracuse, New York. This was back before he became famous and I didn't know who he was at the time but I remember thinking the band had an excellent banjo player! I just found out that back then, Tony's father was a Physics professor at adjoining Syracuse University.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-31-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

You might find this useful:

http://www.banjobarn.com

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I wonder if the Deering Banjo Company is thought of by banjo owners of more established and venerable brands, as the Taylor Guitars of the banjo world? Both companies are young, and both from California, and both have captured a large segment of their respective markets. In other words, is there a possible negative feeling toward Deering amongst banjoists? Is bringing a Deering 5-string to a bluegrass jam looked upon as being similar to bringing a Taylor dreadnought to a bluegrass jam?
No, not really.

It is true there are Gibson snobs, but they are becoming few and far between (plus, Gibson doesn't even make banjos anymore). Today, there are a plethora of great banjo makers...Deering, Bishline, Hatfield, Stelling, Recording King, etc., many of which are as well made (or made even better) as Gibson's were. And sound just as good (again...or even better). There were many years where Gibson banjos were hit-and-miss as far as quality goes.

Banjo players are blessed with the availability of instruments every bit as good...or better...than Gibson's....and often at a lower price point.

Other than the previously mentioned Gibson snobs, you won't find very many jammers who look down on a Deering....they are widely acknowledged as one of the finest banjos in the world.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments