The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Power Core users can sidegrade for $79.

Oh I missed that, should have been able to save a few dollars...
Old 01-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Power Core users can sidegrade for $79.
Thanks for the heads up Steve. I just bought it. I have some old recording sessions where I used the PowerCore version. I see how the plugin compares.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-15-2017, 12:22 AM

Are any of you folks using this finding it better than Lexicon?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Not sure it's "better" (or worse), just different (and cheaper!). The Lexicon plugin set is very impressive. I have too many reverbs, I like them all in different cases. At some level, I'm not sure how much it matters for guitar - I tend to use them so lightly, I'm unlikely to be able to tell one from another in the end. In a good mix, I don't really want anyone paying attention to the reverb, but when you're mixing, sometimes one just feels right, sometimes it's another. Its nice to have choices. And this is a very professional option for someone who wants a good reverb at a relatively modest price, compared to many reverbs in the same class.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

I have been using Lexicon Native Reverb, Waves IR convolution reverb, Pristine Space IR convolution reverb, Aether reverb, Waves Renaissance reverb, and TCElectronic VSS3 (Power Core in the past, plugin now). Tried some others.
I tend to like convolution reverb the best, but my recordings vary as to what works best.

IMO:
Lexicon is some what dark and thick sounding at the expense of some clarity.

Aether is clear and clean but with less solidity to notes.

VSS3 is somewhere in the middle of the last two

I most often use convolution reverbs as they sound more natural to me, but the results are dependent on the quality of the impulse responses.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I'm just glad I get paid to deal with iLok. We have two on our machines because different programs and packages require different protocols.

But here's the trade-off and a handy way to look at it: You don't pay for the program installation, you pay for an instance of iLok authorization. What does that mean? Say you are a guy who likes a particular program and wants to use it at home and at work. You used to have to carry your computer and interface back and forth. Now you can download the program to both computers and just carry the iLok back and forth in your pocket. A professional facility like the one where I work may have fifteen installations of a particular DAW and its associated plug-ins. In fact, we have modern consoles that will allow you to use plug-ins such as Waves on a channel-by-channel basis from the console's front panel. Do we own fifteen licenses? No. We have a crew of nine audio engineers so we keep ten or eleven licenses including some that can be shifted to follow the work. The extra ones allow you to set up and fax* a session and leave the system working and ready for the session while you shift to another session in another room until the first session's scheduled time arrives.

Bob

* "Fax" The term refers to getting your entire setup done for a session including running mics, speakers, lines, foldback, levels, etc. Once it is up and running and ready most people don't want to turn anything off or disrupt the verified setup. With it up and running you can just walk in and start.
Using Pro Tools I of course have had to use an iLok since Avid switched to it (don't remember which version that was 9 or 10 maybe)
Now being a home recordist I have only used my iLok one time at a different location to record and mix, but it was indeed handy to have my plug in's with me.
I can see where for professional's and particularlyly "traveling" producers it would be much nicer than carrying a computer back and forth.

In the 5 to 7 years I have been using one I have never had a problem ("Knock On wood") and I did not get caught in the iLok update debacle, several years ago, as I found out about before updating and simply waited until it was fixed.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I have been using Lexicon Native Reverb, Waves IR convolution reverb, Pristine Space IR convolution reverb, Aether reverb, Waves Renaissance reverb, and TCElectronic VSS3 (Power Core in the past, plugin now). Tried some others.
I tend to like convolution reverb the best, but my recordings vary as to what works best.

IMO:
Lexicon is some what dark and thick sounding at the expense of some clarity.

Aether is clear and clean but with less solidity to notes.

VSS3 is somewhere in the middle of the last two

I most often use convolution reverbs as they sound more natural to me, but the results are dependent on the quality of the impulse responses.
I also prefer convolution verbs, although algorithmic verbs can be quite nice. I've been using Altiverb for at least 10 years and rarely use others.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I mostly use the Bricasti, but it's nice to have options.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes I use my M7 almost exclusively unless I am after some wild verb effect

As I understand it there are free Bricasti impulse responses available from some web sight that Bricasti has authorized.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
As I understand it there are free Bricasti impulse responses available from some web sight that Bricasti has authorized.
I have those IRs. There's about 100 of them.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes I use my M7 almost exclusively unless I am after some wild verb effect

Yep, I have those Bricasti IRs - they are nice.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

The free Bricasti IRs are nice, and reasonably close to the V1 Bricasti patches. I have them loaded into an EPSi pedal that I can use in my pedalboard, which is pretty cool to have that kind of reverbs available live. Of course, you can't tweak them, and I think Bricasti allowed them to be offered because the IRs can't capture everything that the box does. But they're pretty impressive, especially for free. The same company sells T6000 and Lexicon IRs, too, so you can get the VSS3 and other sounds for much less than the hardware, too.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The free Bricasti IRs are nice, and reasonably close to the V1 Bricasti. Of course, you can't tweak them...
Nothing like the hardware no doubt but you can shorten or lengthen them, pre-delay, trim the start, etc.. Obviously with plugins it is a snap to run multiple instances with different IRs at the same time. Often I will combine reverbs - one reverb might have a better early reflection effect and another a better late reflection effect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD