The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 11:16 PM

Default I don't deserve a good pick.

Bought a Red Charmed Life pick a few months ago. Fell absolutely head over heels in love with it. Ordered a couple more that were thinner and gave one to my buddy who has now told me that it is his favorite pick for electric as well as acoustic.

So, I had 3 reds, a 1.0, .87 and .78. I let Rob pick which one he preferred from the .87 and .78. He picked the .87. I fell in love all over again with the .78. Especially since my original 1.0 fell victim to my office chair caster and was broken in two. I did not notice that it had fallen off my desk.

So, I order a new black 1.0 and a n.9 natural to experiment with and to hopefully provide a variety of tones, etc. They did exactly that and I love both of them. The new black 1.0 is quickly becoming my new favorite.

OK. So, the 2nd Red has gone missing. It has to be somewhere in this house!!! breathe... I went to dinner with my family last week and had the black 1.0 in my pocket. It must have fallen out at the restaurant as it was not in my pocket when we returned home. The restaurant is an hour drive from here.

So, now I am down to just the n.90 natural. I love this pick too, as it has such a warm tone, and plays like a dream.

Did I mention that the new black 1.0 was becoming my new favorite?

So, I reach for the n.90 earlier today and it is not where I thought it was so now, it also has gone missing. I usually keep them in my pocket because you just never know when the urge to play will hit you. Maybe it went through the wash.

Still searching...

Ugh...
Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 PM

Well, I found the n.90! It was on the counter in the kitchen. I never put my picks there. Oh well, I feel a little better now. Still need to find that red .78...
Old 06-28-2017, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

I recommend a men's coin purse, a few dollars from Amazon. Comfortable in the pocket, my 'good' picks live in it, and my cheapie JD nylon picks are the ones I leave loose in my pants pockets.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM

That looks like a good idea. I will get something similar. Thanks!

In the meantime, I decided that my original Red was doomed anyway so I started cutting and sanding it.

This is where it is currently.

It feels a little strange but I think I am actually starting to like it. It really stays put and the tone is still there.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:47 PM

I got picks everywhere.....I can't lose them, they are anywhere I look. I can just take my "pick".....sorry about that.......
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM

I've had the same 6 picks for years, 2 tortoise and 4 Blue Chips, home, out, gigs, it can be done.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:55 PM

I'm a fingerstyle guy but used to flatpick a lot. While I don't have an opinion on the worth of these "gourmet" picks I can say that, for those who use them, they should be treated no different everyday than;

-your underwear
-your keys
-your wallet/ purse
-your glasses
-your cell phone

.....your welcome
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM

A number of years ago McKnight Guitars gave me a keyfob/pick-keeper thing. Ive kept my special picks in it & they've always been handy.
Right now in it i have 3 Charmed Life picks: 1 black tri & 2 tortishell tris at 3 different thicknesses & none of them have holes in them
They've replaced the Gravity, Wegen,& Blue Chip picks & even the CL tortis tris (with holes) that were there.
I'll be reviewing them shortly
Yes-you deserve a good pick
It deserves a safe place to rest is all
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 PM

I've been pretty lucky lately. I keep my picks tucked into the strings of the guitar they're used for. A couple extras in that case, and always have a black Jazz III in my front pocket leather magnetic money clip card wallet.

But if I ever did buy an expensive pick, I'd probably end up like this kid.

But you know, lost picks happen when strings of dark matter pass through. Any guitar picks or socks they encounter are immediately sucked into another layer of space time.

Sometimes they'll show back up unexpectedly in some place you never put them. This happens when the dark matter breaks down and a micro fracture in space time allows the matter from this dimension to be pulled back to where it belongs.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for all the posts and props, folks.

Mark, we're getting to that age.... I think the main reason I got into the pick business was because I lose them all the time but always have a roomful to snag another -- at wholesale. And they're scattered all over the house. In the last 24 hours my wife found a tortoise tri on the driveway and a red teardrop in my shirt pocket AFTER it ran through the wash.

We grow old.....

sm
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
But you know, lost picks happen when strings of dark matter pass through. Any guitar picks or socks they encounter are immediately sucked into another layer of space time.

Sometimes they'll show back up unexpectedly in some place you never put them. This happens when the dark matter breaks down and a micro fracture in space time allows the matter from this dimension to be pulled back to where it belongs.
Thank you, that is the best explanation I have heard. I know stuff sort of side slips in to an alternate universe for awhile and then comes back after one stops looking. It can't actually show UP until one stops looking, it's like the observer effect. It also has to be either RIGHT WHERE YOU KNOW YOU LEFT IT AND CIRCLED BACK TO LOOK 10 TIMES, or it shows up in some place you would never ever leave it.

I used to think it was those who go before us yanking our chains. It might be they are the ones manipulating the strings, as they are once again aware that they are one with everything.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Thanks for all the posts and props, folks.

Mark, we're getting to that age.... I think the main reason I got into the pick business was because I lose them all the time but always have a roomful to snag another -- at wholesale. And they're scattered all over the house. In the last 24 hours my wife found a tortoise tri on the driveway and a red teardrop in my shirt pocket AFTER it ran through the wash.

We grow old.....

sm
I WISH! Wife just handed me two little items that came out of the wash, one was red, and one was blue. Fortunately they were in a ziplock bag, and may have suffered no real damage! I took them down to the local chemist (drugstore) to see if I could get some batteries for them and they didn't have any, so I had to order some on eBay. BTW they were my Hearing Aids, I pray that they survive, they weren't cheap!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
I WISH! Wife just handed me two little items that came out of the wash, one was red, and one was blue. Fortunately they were in a ziplock bag, and may have suffered no real damage! I took them down to the local chemist (drugstore) to see if I could get some batteries for them and they didn't have any, so I had to order some on eBay. BTW they were my Hearing Aids, I pray that they survive, they weren't cheap!
What was that...?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

I have a little Altoids tin that Scott sent me some stuff in that I keep in my pocket all the time. I'm a pick junkie so I always have a variety on hand including the mandatory Goat Whiskey Pick. It took some looking to find something I could keep in my pocket and was still deep enough to hold one of my hybrid thumbpicks.

'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 AM

Of course you do know that the pick will ALWAYS be in the LAST place you look. That may also be the first place....but

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion