The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 AM

Default NGD: Martin D12-28 (belated)

I've had this guitar about a month and a half. I consolidated my "guitarsenal" down to three Martin spruce/rosewood dreadnoughts. A CS with Adi top / GRW, which is my prized guitar. I have an HD28E retro that I am playing 75% of the time. And, now this lovely D12-28!

I used several different Taylor 12-strings over the years. They play great, but ultimately they left me a little cold. After auditioning a few Guilds and Martins, I decided to pull the trigger on a new Martin D12-28. The 50th anniversary D12-35 was a strong contender, but I could not justify the added cost. Showing some G.A.S. restraint is usually a foreign concept to me, so I'm quite pleased with myself. It's hard to describe, but the Martin 12 string "feels" different when you play it. It "feels" powerful and "thick" with "grit" and punch I didn't get from my previous 12 string guitars.

Coming to grips with the fact that I prefer Martin dreadnoughts with spruce and rosewood has made things simpler for me. I'm using Martin MFX700 strings on this guitar and the bottom end response is huge. Coincidentally, one of the reasons I got frustrated with Taylor 12 strings is that the bracing is too light to support anything but 10-46 strings in concert tuning. The belly would bulge. The Martin is perfectly stable with the 10-54 set.

The plek process has brought Martin 12 string guitars on par with any other maker, in terms of playing comfort and intonation. I feel very confident in this purchase and will be getting some use from it at this summer's folk festivals.

I installed a passive K&K pure mini pickup in this guitar for the limited amount of amplified playing it will be asked to do. The pickup is good and serviceable. I am also using a JP slim armrest, which I use on all three guitars. It improves tone while playing standing, and provide some playing comfort.

Any other D12-28 owners out there? If so, share picture of your 12 string and tell us about it.

And, finally... my "guitarsenal"

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-29-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:29 AM

I am gassing for one of these! I played one at the Martin factory in June and cannot get it off my mind.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 AM

Default NGD: Martin D12-28 (belated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preecher View Post
I am gassing for one of these! I played one at the Martin factory in June and cannot get it off my mind.

I know the feeling. If it's a cost issue, their D12X1AE is surprisingly good for the money. It's about 75% of the way "there." I initially considered the X for a few upcoming needs, but decided to get the solid wood D28 and keep it long term.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:40 AM

Three years ago, I was looking for a 12 string to add to my collection. I have always preferred a Martins, but I looked at all brands in regards to a 12 string. I wanted a quality instrument with good tone, but didn't want to spend too much. I tried Martins, Guilds, Breedloves and Taylor's. I liked the Guild 's tone, but the jumbo size and the double truss rod was just to heavy for me. The Taylors I liked were tooexpensive with a modern tone. I loved the old Martin D12-20 and D12-35, but did not want to deal with repairs. I ended up with a used 2013 D12-28 which was in mint condition. This guitar has the tone I wanted and good playability. I had to adjust to the wider 1 7/8 nut but it did not pose any problem for me. It stays in tune better than any guitar I have owned and it iis well built. One of the best guitars that I own. Enjoy your D12-28' it is a great guitar.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jim View Post
Three years ago, I was looking for a 12 string to add to my collection. I have always preferred a Martins, but I looked at all brands in regards to a 12 string. I wanted a quality instrument with good tone, but didn't want to spend too much. I tried Martins, Guilds, Breedloves and Taylor's. I liked the Guild 's tone, but the jumbo size and the double truss rod was just to heavy for me. The Taylors I liked were tooexpensive with a modern tone. I loved the old Martin D12-20 and D12-35, but did not want to deal with repairs. I ended up with a used 2013 D12-28 which was in mint condition. This guitar has the tone I wanted and good playability. I had to adjust to the wider 1 7/8 nut but it did not pose any problem for me. It stays in tune better than any guitar I have owned and it iis well built. One of the best guitars that I own. Enjoy your D12-28' it is a great guitar.

Thank you Jim! Having owned 6 other 12 strings in the past, I obviously agree. Other than a Martin, the Guild F512 would be my choice. But, playing standing with that beast for an hour or so is a lot. The Martin is already a little head heavy. And, the dreadnought body shape is a little more comfortable for me to play. The Chinese made Guild F1512 is a very good option for folks on a budget, as well as the Martin D12X1AE I mentioned above.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Awesome 12-string, Dave! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Awesome 12-string, Dave! Congratulations!

- Glenn

Thank you Glenn. I'm working on the arrangements that you so generously posted on YouTube.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:35 AM

That's a beauty Dave!
I have to admire your attention to detail and you ability to balance wants vs needs. That's probably how you find the keepers.
I had to laugh at your theory that Martin doesn't want you down to only one guitar.....might be some truth.

Dan
Old 07-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I know you really liked that Taylor, so this must be a goodun' ... congrats.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Default martin 12 string

Isn't it fascinating when you read a post and it mirrors what you have done! This one fits.
I purchased a Martin 12-28 after having several Taylor 12's. I, too, was not pleased with the bracing and strings on the Taylor. To my ears, the resultant sound was thin and wanting.
I was lead to the Martin by a super sales guy at GC in La Mesa, CA - Dave Zimmerman. Admittedly, he is a Taylor guy who goes to the Taylor factory monthly (it is only 5 miles from the store) He listened to my complaints on the Taylors and suggested I try the Martin. The initial strum was all it took!
I put a MiSi pick up on and play frequently at church. In fact, when I bring a 6 string, the parishioners say they want to hear the 12 string.
Thanks for the opportunity to share!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
Isn't it fascinating when you read a post and it mirrors what you have done! This one fits.

I purchased a Martin 12-28 after having several Taylor 12's. I, too, was not pleased with the bracing and strings on the Taylor. To my ears, the resultant sound was thin and wanting.

I was lead to the Martin by a super sales guy at GC in La Mesa, CA - Dave Zimmerman. Admittedly, he is a Taylor guy who goes to the Taylor factory monthly (it is only 5 miles from the store) He listened to my complaints on the Taylors and suggested I try the Martin. The initial strum was all it took!

I put a MiSi pick up on and play frequently at church. In fact, when I bring a 6 string, the parishioners say they want to hear the 12 string.

Thanks for the opportunity to share!

Thanks for taking the time to share that. It's always nice to have your personal experience validated by others.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:40 AM

Wow!!! What a fantastic pick up. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 AM

Congrats on your new Martin, for sure a beauty.

Wow, interesting changes for you!
I read your review about a 1.5 years ago, regarding the new 858 Taylor 12 string. You reviewed the Martin's (12-28 and the 12-35 50th) and the Guild F1512.

I never really liked any Taylor's (6 or 12 string) in the past, only the Leo Kottke model. But it shines when it's tuned down to C#. I was looking for a 12 string and compared the following guitars:

Martin 12-28
Martin 12-35 50th
Guild F1512
Several Taylor 12 strings, I am not familiar with all their model numbers. I remembered your review and loved the 858 at well. I was between the 858 and the 458-R, which is the one I finally bought. First Taylor for me!

Like your review back than, the Guild is the bang for the buck. The 12-35 was great, but for me the Jumbo body works best for 12 string.

1930 National Style O
1931 National Triolian
1933 Gibson L-1
2007 Martin 000-18 SB Authentic
2013 Gibson 1935 Advanced Jumbo Limited Edition
2013 Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Limited Edition
2021 Martin D-28 CAA 1937
2022 Martin 000-28 CAA
Many Strat's, Tele's, ES 335's and a Gretsch Duo Jet
Old 07-30-2017, 10:31 AM

i've not had the chance to audition a new(er) Martin 12 string.
I foolishly sold a players grade 1968 D12-35 some years back.
I can only imagine how yours must play & sound.
Congrats on a killer guitar !
Don
Old 07-30-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00045 View Post
Congrats on your new Martin, for sure a beauty.

Wow, interesting changes for you!

I read your review about a 1.5 years ago, regarding the new 858 Taylor 12 string. You reviewed the Martin's (12-28 and the 12-35 50th) and the Guild F1512.

I never really liked any Taylor's (6 or 12 string) in the past, only the Leo Kottke model. But it shines when it's tuned down to C#. I was looking for a 12 string and compared the following guitars:

Martin 12-28

Martin 12-35 50th

Guild F1512

Several Taylor 12 strings, I am not familiar with all their model numbers. I remembered your review and loved the 858 at well. I was between the 858 and the 458-R, which is the one I finally bought. First Taylor for me!

Like your review back than, the Guild is the bang for the buck. The 12-35 was great, but for me the Jumbo body works best for 12 string.

Thanks for posting. Frankly, you can't really go wrong with any of them. The Taylor 12s are very nice. My tastes changed and my desire for more bottom end and slightly heavier strings lead me back to Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion