The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-16-2023, 11:48 PM

Default Brazilian Kingwood - Webber content

Hi All - I recently received a Webber jumbo that David Webber built for me in 2023 and I thought it would be of interest to post about. Webber guitars are familiar to many on the AGF.

The Backstory: I had acquired a Webber OM (Engelmann over Mahogany) in 2021 - a superb instrument which caused me to part with other guitars. I have two married children living near David so I reached out to David early in 2022 to see what he was up to. At that time he told me he was not building custom guitars; he is mostly retired. We touched base early in 2023 and he said he would build me something if I wanted. I asked about the possibility of a larger body rosewood 'strummer' to complement the OM. He showed me rosewood options including one last set he had of stunning Brazilian Kingwood. Not being familiar with it, I learned further that pieces large enough for two piece backs are not common.

The Guitar: the guitar size we settled on is his jumbo, which is a 'small jumbo', fairly similar in size to his Roundbody shape. Kingwood back and sides, distressed engelmann top (at the very stiff end of engelmann), snakewood trim, ebony bridge and fretboard, relatively simple ornamentation. He did some dark shading on the top and bottom of the neck back, and light shading around the top edge. I wanted it to look 'experienced'; he said he left it in a smokey bar for a couple weeks to get the 'look' . David normally uses a 4" depth at the lower bout for jumbos, but when I saw we could get more depth from the Kingwood side pieces, and I wanted a bit more bottom 'punch' for strumming, we went with 4 1/4" at the lower bout (actually closer to 4 3/8"). Both the engelmann and kingwood are decades old (David is not sure how old) and the quality of this wood became the driver for me to proceed.

The Sound: well the guitar is only a couple weeks old now. It has become quite a bit bolder, louder and more strident sounding in that time, probably as expected. I compare it every day to the OM. It definitely has the goods to be a strong strummer, but I think will also be quite versatile.

I feel quite fortunate to have sort of 'snuck one under the wire' with David; and he is such a gracious, generous witty person. The color of the kingwood varies a fair bit with the lighting, but the center back has some reds to violet. I've enclosed a pic with its OM sibling.
Cheers, Greg

Old 12-17-2023, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Whoa, those are two gorgeous guitars! Congrats!

I brought home a Webber a week ago, a 2003 Roundbody. Just getting to know it.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

How fortunate you are to have that connection and opportunity. Accurate information about David's status as a working luthier is a moving target, and surfaces unexpectedly, like your post. Very cool that it moved in your direction.

I first learned about David a few years ago when I saw Eric Bibb play a cedar over maple 00 in a promo for Bluedog Guitars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVFR...BluedogGuitars). That set me on a search for one. The closest I got was an Engelman over Koa 00 built in 1996. It is a treasure - a Goliath in David's clothing. The desire to have a maple guitar was just satisfied when a Euro spruce over Euro maple OM-C built by Max Spohn arrived at my door two weeks ago.

I feel very fortunate to have this guitar and know that you will come to feel the same about your new acquisition. Enjoy the ride.

David
Old 12-17-2023, 08:33 AM
Musical minimalist

I miss a few of the Webbers I owned over the years - mostly a Claro and Engelmann Roundbody he built for me with lots of bling!

If I could talk him into it, I'd have him build me a mahogany dread, but I know those days are over.

Yours are both very nice!

Old 12-17-2023, 08:55 AM

Thank you for sharing your Webber journey with us. I’ve never played one but have nothing but respect for his work. Beautiful! Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2023, 12:20 AM

Congratulations, I hope that guitar provides you with endless musical delight. It sure is a beauty! I love my Webber, feel lucky to have come across the label. Cheers!
Old 12-18-2023, 04:59 PM

Didn't he stop building for a while or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 12-18-2023, 05:10 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Didn't he stop building for a while or am I thinking of someone else?
He's been "mostly retired" for several years - not building customs any longer.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
How fortunate you are to have that connection and opportunity. Accurate information about David's status as a working luthier is a moving target, and surfaces unexpectedly, like your post. Very cool that it moved in your direction.

I first learned about David a few years ago when I saw Eric Bibb play a cedar over maple 00 in a promo for Bluedog Guitars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVFR...BluedogGuitars). That set me on a search for one. The closest I got was an Engelman over Koa 00 built in 1996. It is a treasure - a Goliath in David's clothing. The desire to have a maple guitar was just satisfied when a Euro spruce over Euro maple OM-C built by Max Spohn arrived at my door two weeks ago.

I feel very fortunate to have this guitar and know that you will come to feel the same about your new acquisition. Enjoy the ride.

David
Thanks for the reply David. I first played a Webber years ago at Bluedog, then later played a few at Guitars Plus (Victoria BC) and was smitten. I followed your Spohn build and NDG follow-up with great interest - you are such an interesting writer (maybe it is your profession?). Enjoy your new baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I miss a few of the Webbers I owned over the years - mostly a Claro and Engelmann Roundbody he built for me with lots of bling!

If I could talk him into it, I'd have him build me a mahogany dread, but I know those days are over.

Yours are both very nice!
Thanks Todd. Over the years your posts on Webber guitars have encouraged me to one day own one (or two...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
He's been "mostly retired" for several years - not building customs any longer.
That is about right regarding David. He now builds what he wants, when he wants, and this is usually superseded by outdoor activities. So, for the local market only (no shipping), he occasionally builds (slowly). He enjoys building other instruments too: in his shop I saw ukuleles (lots), guitaleles, tenor guitars, Tres Cubanos, bouzoukis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Whoa, those are two gorgeous guitars! Congrats!

I brought home a Webber a week ago, a 2003 Roundbody. Just getting to know it.
Thanks Ken - enjoy getting to know your Roundbody!

Thanks for the replies! Greg
Old 12-20-2023, 11:38 AM

That's a beautiful guitar. I'm happy to see that David is still building guitars, especially since it's on his terms. I was lucky to meet him and visit his shop a couple of times 10-ish years ago, and ended up replacing all my acoustic guitars with custom builds of his. Totally killed all GAS for me. I havent bought a new acoustic in 8 years now and haven't had any desire to. My Webbers are my "keepers."
Old 12-20-2023, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Nice looking guitar. Congratulations. I played a Webber OM a few days ago and I was blown away. I am now officially looking for a Webber
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-20-2023, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracem View Post
Thanks for the reply David. I first played a Webber years ago at Bluedog, then later played a few at Guitars Plus (Victoria BC) and was smitten. I followed your Spohn build and NDG follow-up with great interest - you are such an interesting writer (maybe it is your profession?). Enjoy your new baby!
Apologies for the thread drift, but thank you, Grace, for your kind words and interest in my Spohn maple journey. We are getting along splendidly - at least I think so.

I envy your access to Webber guitars which are, to my knowledge, unavailable to sample outside of the Vancouver area. And David is one of the best luthiers out there that few (like you) really know much about. His guitars swing well above their price class, and represents the best money spent for any guitar I have purchased (used). I mean my mesmerizing koa 00, with fancy trim stuff, costs less than what some luthiers charge just for the koa upgrade.

As to my status, I guess I am a professionally retired, highly amateurish guitar player. Suppose that about covers it. I wish you all the best with your new Webber. It is will be a great companion, as is my 00. Nobody doesn't just love that guitar.

David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 12-21-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

You may well have the only totally quartersawn Brazilian kingwood SJ in existence. Maaaybe a few others out there, but it is extremely rare for Brazilian kingwood to get that big. Slow growing, smaller tree, and most of it was plundered long before we were born. I would be ecstatic to find a perfectly quartered set big enough for a 00. Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop