The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM

Default Martin GPCPA1 Plus - strings used?

Ok I’m the new proud owner and would like some thoughts about the best strings for it.

It’s an unusual Martin. I like the sound but the GC restring died quick. I’ll try a set of Elixirs next.

Let me know if you have found a string set that works best for this particular guitar!

Make and model and size pls!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:33 AM

I’ve just replaced with Elixir 53-12 nano PBs. I’ve got it tuned up, adjusted the relief (1/4 turn as it was a bit high), and am letting it settle in for the day. I’ll retune, check relief measurement, note the action height and give it a go this evening. First impression was a wow moment, but obviously different with the coating. I’m trying to stay objective so we’ll see. All very subjective.

Ideally it will be consistent and enjoyable over an extended period. I understand the strings have a few day break in period, so time will tell. Easier on the fingers, another plus.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 AM

I use either the Elixir PB, nanoweb or the Martin coated LIfespan (thats what came on my GPCPA3 a couple of years ago when the Preforming Artist series first came out. I've found either sets sound pretty much the same (very good) and they both provide extended life. I will purchase which ever set I see a sale on, they both work for me.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM

Well they sound good, and they acoustically project sound enjoyably across the house so that’s good as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion