The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Default What electric guitar amplifier should I buy between $750-1000?

Looking for shimmering cleans, warm gain for dirty rhythms, and buttery lead tone. Don't we all - here are sounds I love:

David Gilmour - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Money
Beatles - lead tone on Revolver (She Said She Said, Taxman)
Tool - distortion on Lateralus & 10,000 days

I heard the Orange Rocker 32 is a splendid amp (watched some good reviews on YouTube) - just skeptical that there is no EQ on the clean channel, just a volume knob. Anyone have experience with this amp? Other thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:02 PM

I'm a big fan of the Fender Blues Junior.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM

Oops. I just noticed "electric guitar amp".

Last edited by Seagull S6; 03-13-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Shimmery cleans says Fender blackface reissue to me, whereas warm gain and buttery lead have me thinking Vox or one of Fender’s other offerings. I’m admittedly not very familiar with Marshall or Orange.

In that price range I’d be looking at:

Vox AC10
Vox AC15
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Bassbreaker
Fender Princeton Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Old 03-13-2018, 06:25 PM

How loud do you need your amp to be? For example if you play in a band with a loud drummer and bassist you can probably rule out anything less than 15 watts for a valve amp. It depends on the speaker sensitivity as well.
Then again if you expect your amp to play shimmering clean sounds, but with that loud drummer and bassist you will need more power.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 PM

Default What electric guitar amplifier should I buy between $750-1000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barracuda View Post
Looking for shimmering cleans, warm gain for dirty rhythms, and buttery lead tone...
Bugera V22 or V55 Infinium - just ask any of the satisfied owners of the former on this subforum (myself included). Heck, buy them both: use the V22 for home practice, cranking at club/small- to mid-size venue volumes, and DIY modding; save the V55 for "big-clean" tone with tons of headroom or big-house/outdoor gigs - and you'll still come in well under $1K for the pair (closer to $800 if you shop around)...
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! To give some more info:

I've been using a Mesa Mark IV with a 4x12 Mesa cab for years. It's time to sell it. It's too gigantic and powerful, and now that I've been doing much more home recording I'm looking for a combo around 15-45 watts. Do the fender amps have excellent gain/overdrive tone?

Should probably start another thread for this...but I'll also be looking for another electric guitar (been using my custom Carvin for YEARS). It's time for a refreshing change. Considering a strat or tele...just something NEW and fun.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
...I'll also be looking for another electric guitar...It's time for a refreshing change...just something NEW and fun...
If you're looking for something really new and fun - and since the Beatles' name came up in the mix - check out one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...k-walnut-stain
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...y-walnut-stain

I've been a Gretsch owner since 1964, played probably a few hundred Brooklyn originals during my lifetime, and IME the current MIK Electromatics are some of the finest instruments ever to wear the marque, period; simply put, you're not going to find comparable QC/playability for anywhere near the price - my '16 5622T-CB is one of only two guitars I've owned in the last 55+ years that needed absolutely no setup work whatsoever (a '12 Godin CW II being the other) - and while "That Great Gretsch Sound" may not be everyone's cuppa tea, if you're a serious electric player you need at least one of these puppies in your arsenal...
Old 03-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I've been using a Mesa Mark IV with a 4x12 Mesa cab for years. It's time to sell it. It's too gigantic and powerful, and now that I've been doing much more home recording I'm looking for a combo around 15-45 watts. Do the fender amps have excellent gain/overdrive tone?

Should probably start another thread for this...but I'll also be looking for another electric guitar (been using my custom Carvin for YEARS). It's time for a refreshing change. Considering a strat or tele...just something NEW and fun.
Fender amps fare the best with blues-classic rock type OD pedals IMHO, especially the clean sounding variety.

Orange does mid-high gain as well as anyone, but the cleans suffer a bit IMO.

Vox isn't a bad place to look (AC10 & AC15) - it will give you shimmery cleans and buttery leads, you will need a pedal for high gain sounds but they have more gain on tap than most Fenders.

The Ibanez TSA15 is highly regarded for it's cleans and also has a built in tube screamer. Sadly, no reverb.

Lots of cool stuff out there these days.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-14-2018, 05:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Perhaps you should stop over at my site and read the review of the Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb I posted, HERE. The '68 Princeton makes a great host for pedals, and those David Gilmour tones you are interested in were created with pedals. Need more power? Go with the '68 Custom Deluxe. More still? Go with the Vibrolux. The two larger amps allow you to choose between the their original brighter sound and a more Bassman-eque sound while the Princeton is just adjusted to sound more like a Bassman.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Looking for shimmering cleans, warm gain for dirty rhythms, and buttery lead tone. Don't we all - here are sounds I love:

David Gilmour - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Money
Beatles - lead tone on Revolver (She Said She Said, Taxman)
Tool - distortion on Lateralus & 10,000 days

I heard the Orange Rocker 32 is a splendid amp (watched some good reviews on YouTube) - just skeptical that there is no EQ on the clean channel, just a volume knob. Anyone have experience with this amp? Other thoughts?

Thanks!

$1000
Pink Floyd

https://reverb.com/item/2553916-supr...x10-tube-combo

Old 03-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:

If you like Mesas the Lonestar and Express models have low watt options and a lot of tone versatility. It would probably have to be used for that budget.

Your budget should be able to get you one of the Fender reissues that are generally superb and versatile. Also known as "pedal friendly". I went about as crazy trying through buying with amps as I have with guitars before simplification and the 65 Princeton Reverb has been an absolutely keeper versatile amp. It works for alone at home as well as grab and go for a jam with a drummer. It's physical and tonal versatility and a sound countless people have loved since the 1960s.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:13 AM

I had a Fender Twin Reverb for the longest time. It did EVERYTHING well up to and including melting your face off. When I gigged with it, all I ever used was a distortion pedal and a wah pedal. For $700-1000, i would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Three main tones out there-
Vox Ac15 or 30- depending on how much juice you need. Vox chime and dirt...superb

Fender Supersonic 22 or 60- fender cleans-2 clean channels...great dual gain channel

Marshall DSL- marshall dirt is hard to beat.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM

**** you guys are so helpful! Thanks so much. So much to work with and research here. Gotta take it all in! They all seem like superb choices.

What do you guys think of software like AmpliTube? How close is it to the real thing?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars