The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I owned an early 64 dread. I scored it for a steal and foolisly let it go here. It is perhaps the best mahogany dread i have ever owned among many from some of the top builders.

The good news: I am buying it back!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I'll check them out on my next trip to their shop. I am a Guild and Martin type of guy, not as much into the tone of Breedlove or Taylor. But, the Bedell guitars may be voiced differently.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I'll check them out on my next trip to their shop. I am a Guild and Martin type of guy, not as much into the tone of Breedlove or Taylor. But, the Bedell guitars may be voiced differently.
Hey BoneDigger

I think we have some similar guitars. I have a Guild F-412 (I think I remember that you bought one too) and a Martin HD28. Comparing my Bedell Bahai to the Martin I find that the Bass isn't quite as dark and overly resonant. I would never call the HD28 muddy but compared to the Bedell the bass notes on the Bedell are a bit more defined. The overall balance of the Bedell is excellent. The Martin is a bit more Bassy. I brought it to my guitar teacher and he loved it. It projects very well. I saw a video of Tom Bedell about his high end Breedlove's. He said that they tune the bracing on the top so that when you tap the top you hear a similar tone everywhere rather than different sounds depending on where you tap. I'm guessing they did the same with my Bedell as I can hear the same affect.

After playing the Bedlell for a long while I thought I'd not like my Martin anymore. But the two guitars are quite different and I like the quality of sound from both of them. Definitely worth a listen and a play. And you can't beat the price if you're looking to own a Brazilian Rosewood guitar.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Was in Nashville last year and stopped in at Two Old Hippies to check out Breedlove guitars. The sales guy eventually put a Bedell in my hand and it was probably the best sounding guitar I have ever played. And the most expensive at $6K.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Wups...double post.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 03-23-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: wups
Old 05-02-2018, 01:56 PM

I played a couple at a shop here in Nashville and didn't care for the sound or feel at all. In fact I was surprised at how bad they were frankly.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:09 PM

No clue what they sound like, but their sunbursts (IMHO) are quite unsightly.
scott
Old 05-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I finally tried a few out. The shop owner raves over them. I was not that impressed, but they weren't bad.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I own a Chinese made solid wood spruce/RW Bedell Performance series dread. I paid $500 for it, mint, from a guy who got it at the blowout. It is a very nice instrument, as good as the Yamaha A3R or LL16 in every respect IMO. It is my daily practice instrument and I'm very pleased with the value. Not as much overtone delicacy, clarity or sustain as my Taylor 416CE Ltd or Yairi DY-90, but it stands tall on its own merits. Nice warmth and body, well made. Narrow nut.
The US made instruments should be pretty special, judging from the Chinese made ones.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:57 AM

BoneDigger, since you are from Tyler you probably already know this, but Tom Bedell is to be at Action Sound today (May 3). Might be worth another trip up to see if anything sparks your interest.

Last edited by RichardP; 05-03-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:11 PM

I bought a Bedell Coffeehouse Dreadnaught and I have to say that the fit, finish and tone are excellent. Having just sold a Huss Dalton I was in the market for a new guitar and Bedell offers a lot of value for the money. Cool looking sunburst, really easy action and tremendous tone for a new guitar that will only improve with age. Also comes pre-equipped with a K&K Pick-up. Really impressed with their guitars. If you get a chance to try one out it will be hard not to buy one.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:45 AM

Well if your looking for a great deal on a Bedell Bahai like mine there’s a used one on reverb. I just got an email that it’s on sale for 15% off. It was already priced low at 3k (they’re 5k new) so with 15% off that’s half the new price. Heck I thought I got a deal when I paid 3.5k. I have nothing to do with this seller other than admiring the guitars he sells.

https://reverb.com/item/8861460-used...itka-brazilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion