The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-02-2018, 01:57 AM

Default Beginner - What software should i use?

Hi

I'm new to this forum, but I hope you can help me.

I have just bought my first recording equipment. I bought the Aston Origins mic and Focisrite 2i2 interface. But i need some recording software, and i would like some software that i can use to add effects like a little reverb and such. I have googled a lot but i'm still not sure which way to go.

I'm playing fingerpicking and fingerstyle guitar.

My budget is like 100$ for an entire recording software, but i would be interested an monthly subscription as well.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:23 AM

Audacity is free and (relatively) easy to use, and can carry out most of the functions you want when you first start recording. There is a user forum and plenty of tutorials on the web. I'd recommend you at least start with this to begin getting used to recording.

Most 'professional' DAW software is relatively expensive and there is a steep learning curve when you begin using it. Largely this is because it takes time to come to terms with the complexity of all of the built in tools, and every DAW has different work flow.

Reaper is a full-featured DAW used by many home recordists, is free to begin using (although every time you open the free version you have to click through a nag screen), and is only about $60 to buy outright. Again, there is plenty of help and many tutorials available.

I use and like Presonus Studio One, but it is more expensive than your budget and I took months to come to terms with using it. There are large areas of the program I never use because recording solo guitar in stereo is relatively straightforward, although there are still mind-numbing options to do with mic placement and post-tracking treatment if you wish.

Kym
Old 03-02-2018, 04:43 AM

Cool Software

If you bought a new Focusrite 2i2 you should have also gotten free software bundled with it .

I bought a 6i6 in August and it was loaded with bundled goodies . The bundle software in the 2i2 is pretty good too .
Start there .

Reeper is free and works great too , no time limit to use and review to see if you like it .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 03-02-2018, 07:12 AM

Thanks a lot

Hmm.. I havent really noticed any bundled software in my focusrite, but i will check it out. I hope it works. I bought it as a demo-model, so i'm hoping the previous user didn't register the product when he tried it out
Old 03-02-2018, 08:21 AM

Most of the DAWs available today will do the same things, so its really a matter of finding one whose interface (GUI) is 'friendly' to you - in other words, fairly intuitive.
Then its a matter of learning that DAW, once you put the time and effort into a particular one, you are unlikely to change to a different one and start the learning process over again.

As mentioned, Reaper is free to download and try out - the full uncrippled version. There's an extensive manual available, help forums and a ton of youtube 'how to' videos.
Many DAWs offer a limited/restricted free version, and one of these might work for you (i.e limited number of tracks, or limited plug-ins).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine John View Post
Hi

I'm new to this forum, but I hope you can help me.

I have just bought my first recording equipment. I bought the Aston Origins mic and Focisrite 2i2 interface. But i need some recording software, and i would like some software that i can use to add effects like a little reverb and such. I have googled a lot but i'm still not sure which way to go.

I'm playing fingerpicking and fingerstyle guitar.

My budget is like 100$ for an entire recording software, but i would be interested an monthly subscription as well.
Hi Celine John

First of all, Welcome to the Forum!

There is zero reason to buy digital audio recording software.

Most digital recording software performs all the same basic functions of recording single or multiple tracks, and then allowing one to overdub, edit and add effects. Software is limited by the hardware interfaces one uses, and most interfaces also permit the basic functions needed to capture good recordings.

Audacity is a free, and full-featured piece of software I recommend because it has been around a long time, and it is supported by a community of developers dedicated to it's ongoing updates and features. And it's not a crippled version of something people are going to try to sell you the full-featured version of later.

Should you discover you love recording, and you need more features, then there are serious recording, and editing packages which cost substantially more (and require more serious hardware).

In addition to my 'serious' interfaces, I also own and use a simple interface and simple software to edit sound for my videos…precisely because they are simple, they give me professional results, and accomplish it quickly.

Hope you find joy in recording…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Does the computer you're using run Windows or MacOS?

Your original post indicates you only want to record solo acoustic guitar and maybe vocals. Are you sure that's all you wish to have in your recordings? (Other things in this question would be computer based strings, drums, keyboards etc.)

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-03-2018, 03:55 AM

Thanks a lot for all your advice. It's really helpful.

Yes, i will only be recording acoustic guitar. Fingerstyle guitar, and it will probably be short clips for instagram and maybe youtube later on. And maybe try out mixing different recordings (rythm and solos etc..)

When i first started recording, i bough the Irig acoustic, and i just liked the app, i was recording in, because the app made it possible to add reverb etc, and i would like to able to still do that kind of editing even though i'm using a laptop with windows now..

But i think i will try out audacity and see if i can get the hang of it

Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:04 AM

If you bought a new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface (not second-hand) you should get Ableton Live Lite for free with it. It has only (I believe) 8-tracks but it seems that for your needs it's enough.
Other good and recommended free software is
Presonus Studio One Prime (very easy to use)
https://shop.presonus.com/products/s...io-One-3-Prime
Tracktion T6
https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw
Old 03-03-2018, 05:16 AM

John - I will vouch for the ‘keep it simple’ approach. I have played around with DAWs on my computer and have to say the technology is amazing. And I want to learn it. But at the same time, I am mainly using recording as a way to monitor my progress, improve my playing and perhaps record some jam sessions. I also have a very small recording space and have tripped over the cables more times than I care to admit!

So I pared down the rig to an iPad and either the Apogee mic, or A Steinberg UR22 mk 2 attached to a couple of condenser mikes that were purchased on sale long ago at Guitar Center. I love being able to move the rig around the house, or to other venues. The iPad also has powerful software (Garage Band and Auria) available at no or low cost.

Most important here, don’t worry to much about the details. Start recording and have fun!

Best,

Rick

PS - Reaper is an incredibly powerful DAW. It’s free to try and can be used for an extended time without having to pay. Audacity is also very good, but not quite as “standard” as Reaper.

Last edited by srick; 03-03-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 AM

I don't like Audacity at all. It is nothing like a DAW, no mixer, no busses and only destructive editing.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-03-2018, 06:47 AM

Another vote for Reaper.
I tried Audacity and couldn't get the latency adjusted. So I tried Reaper. You can download it and try it for a month. If you like it (I do!) it's $60 for individuals. And editing is non-destructive. I have created one song to completion. Drum plug in, me on acoustic, electric (3 different parts), and bass. I sent the project to a friend (by Google drive) and he sent it back to me with 6 piano tracks to pick from! The project started out as a verse, a bridge, and an ending. Lot's of "Frankenstein" surgery to extend it.
There are lots of tutorials on their web site or You tube. Check them out. Recommended highly
Old 03-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
John - I will vouch for the ‘keep it simple’ approach. I have played around with DAWs on my computer and have to say the technology is amazing. And I want to learn it. But at the same time, I am mainly using recording as a way to monitor my progress, improve my playing and perhaps record some jam sessions. I also have a very small recording space and have tripped over the cables more times than I care to admit!

So I pared down the rig to an iPad and either the Apogee mic, or A Steinberg UR22 mk 2 attached to a couple of condenser mikes that were purchased on sale long ago at Guitar Center. I love being able to move the rig around the house, or to other venues. The iPad also has powerful software (Garage Band and Auria) available at no or low cost.

Most important here, don”t sorry to much about the details. Start recording and have fun!

Best,

Rick

PS - Reaper is an incredibly powerful DAW. It’s free to try and can be used for an extended time without having to pay. Audacity is also very good, but not quite as “standard” as Reaper.
For those that record primarily acoustic guitar I am in a constant state of amazement with the iPad/Auria solution. I also am a big fan of the Apogee Mic. Like you mentioned that combo does an unmatched job at keeping the recording environment/space tight, clean, manageable, almost completely free of tangle and most importantly allows for one to find not only the best sounding spot in the house but also the most comfortable.

The work flow of the software is elegant, latency is really, really low and visually the environment is easy to see and easy to maneuver. All in all it creates a space where I can tend to relax a bit more without having to jump up and down checking on a main DAW which more often than not is either in another room or at best “not so close” to a prime recording spot.

Compared to Audacity it’s in a completely different Universe compared to Auria. It employs a standard Aux send and return scenario albeit it limited to two. It has a robust bus component. It’s got a REALLY top shelf reverb (that BTW: can be monitored in record without latency). It’s got a channel strip that’s as good as any stock channel strip on the market. There are third party developers if you’re inclined to add SFX plug-ins as you evolve (although for acoustic instruments) I can’t imagine what more you’d need.

Finally it effortlessly exports AFF files to Drop Box. I can export an AFF file to Drop Box, run back to my main DAW, double click on the AFF file and my Auria session instantly opens as a Pro Tools session.

Again, for acoustic instrument recording (particularly low simultaneous inputs) I’m always surprised that this combo doesn’t make a much bigger splash around here. If you already have an iPad the $29.00 cost of admission is a no brained.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I don't like Audacity at all. It is nothing like a DAW, no mixer, no busses and only destructive editing.
couldn't agree more. If you're a seasoned pro, Audacity will be ok because you can get around the fact that you don't have some very basic mixing features. I've always found it clunky & lacking.

Reaper gets a lot of good press. I just told my cousin to get it for his home studio. I knew he could get a lot of online help & I could grab a copy for when he brings his recordings to me for help. It's a very safe bet because of large amount of support and the low price of entry (like $60 for a license I think). You can use it for free forever, but I think that once you've evaluated it and want to use it "full time" you should honor the trial agreement & purchase license.

One free option that is quite good that flies under the radar is Ardour (http://www.ardour.org). It was originally Linux only but is now available for all 3 OSes (Linux, macOS, Windows). Harrison liked it so much they based their Harrison MixBus software on it. Harrison is the maker of high-end consoles, for those who don't know. Not as well know as Neve, API or SSL but in the same league.

HTH.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-06-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine John View Post
Thanks a lot

Hmm.. I havent really noticed any bundled software in my focusrite, but i will check it out. I hope it works. I bought it as a demo-model, so i'm hoping the previous user didn't register the product when he tried it out
I got a Solo and it came with Ableton Live Lite and a 'light' version of Pro Tools as well. See if you can use the serial number of the unit and contact Focusrite to get a new software download code. Ableton Live Lite doesnt suck and the tutorial is pretty good (so far).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD