The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Default I was thinking about buying a Martin LX1 but...

... then I came across the Sigma TM-12+

Looks to me like it is made with better materials but a lot less money or am I getting this all wrong!?

Just need to find somewhere which has both to compare

If you are reading this and have experience of the Sigma TM's I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by BrumBrum; 03-20-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Link added
Old 03-20-2018, 12:14 PM

I have never played either so I'm useless.
You will never know until you play them and as you said, that might be difficult.
Having an all-wood guitar is great but as you suspect, not so much if it doesn't play and sound good.
In this price point, they are probably comparable.
Personally, I am not a big fan of the lower end martin composite guitars.
YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-20-2018, 12:29 PM

By the way, this Sigma has laminate b&s, not solid wood. Owned an LX-1, good guitar, never heard about this Sigma model.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I also had an LX1, it was a nice little guitar. Comfortable, small travel size and sounded pretty good for what it was. No experience with the Sigma but based on a YT review I just watched, it doesn't sound any better than the Martin.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:10 PM

Where are you located? Those Sigma guitars are not generally available in the United States but they are everywhere else, naming conflict with another company that grabbed the name when Martin wasn’t looking!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK, Manchester. I'll have to have a trip to Blackburn as I think Reidys sell both Martin and Sigma.

I hadn't realised the back and sides were laminate, I must have missed that.

Overall I'm looking for a good looking travel/couch guitar which offer value for money
Old 03-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBrum View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK, Manchester. I'll have to have a trip to Blackburn as I think Reidys sell both Martin and Sigma.

I hadn't realised the back and sides were laminate, I must have missed that.

Overall I'm looking for a good looking travel/couch guitar which offer value for money

Wow, what a nice looking store!!

https://www.reidys.com/p/about-reidys/
Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Yes, where are you?

First thing; Sigma guitars are legally licensed copies of Martins. I have a Sigma OM-21. It's a wonderful guitar that I got ''used'' at GC on Long Island. I know it's not a real OM-21, but having it, I have no gas at all for the real thing.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Yes, where are you?

First thing; Sigma guitars are legally licensed copies of Martins. I have a Sigma OM-21. It's a wonderful guitar that I got ''used'' at GC on Long Island. I know it's not a real OM-21, but having it, I have no gas at all for the real thing.

What year is that OM-21? Looks great!

The Sigma name in the US is used legally by a completely different company that got the name after Martin let its rights lapse. The guitar quality does not look as good as the German Sigmas.

Everywhere else in the world Martin sold the Sigma name to that German based distributor.

So then the name in the US was supposed to be Kindred, but the US importers had some internal turmoil that was splashed all over Facebook!

Anyway, I'm in the US, but was really interested in the German Sigma demo models that were for sale on eBay. They look like good stage guitars at a great price.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Lowrider your Sigma looks ace!

jfgesquire, my favourite picture of Reidys (Blackburn) They also have a Taylor and Martin/Sigma rooms.

It's a while since I was last there but it won't be a chore to go again

Last edited by BrumBrum; 03-21-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Try the Sigma TM15 which has mahogany top. They sound similar to the LX1. Same scale and small body. Boxy sounding but great fun to play!

I’ve just sold a LX1E and when I bought it I a/b it against the TM15. I bought the lx1e as it sounded better plugged in.

I’ve also owned a TM12 briefly but gave it to a young relative to learn on. (Reidys is on my doorstep and it’s a great place for guitar shopping)

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what year my Sigma is, but it's no longer available. This past November, I found it hanging in GC marked used but it probably was never played. It still had the plastic on the pick-guard and had some old nasty strings. I got it for really cheap and every time I play it I just love the sound that it makes.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I don't know what year my Sigma is, but it's no longer available. This past November, I found it hanging in GC marked used but it probably was never played. It still had the plastic on the pick-guard and had some old nasty strings. I got it for really cheap and every time I play it I just love the sound that it makes.
That makes it all the sweeter
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 AM

I'm not knocking these small guitars, I once owned one and there's a certain young man made a fortune playing one, but for travel and couch do try a Martin dread junior, they at least sound like guitars.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
I'm not knocking these small guitars, I once owned one and there's a certain young man made a fortune playing one, but for travel and couch do try a Martin dread junior, they at least sound like guitars.
Will do... thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion