The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson L-00 Standard or LG-2 American Eagle at same price?

Just for this one thread, let's pretend that you've played both of these guitars, love them equally, and they suit your playing style equally. And for this one guitar, you ARE considering resale value.

Which is a better value if they are both used in excellent condition and are priced the same?

*Note: the LG-2 is the more recent version with Grovers and pickguard.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

For resale it's a no brainer. I see LG-2 AE selling for $1100 or less (not all the time, but they come up for that every once in a while).

The cheapest I have ever seen an L-00 standard is just short of $1500.

I have been highly considering both of these guitars and so I have been watching intently over the last 3-6 months.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
For resale it's a no brainer. I see LG-2 AE selling for $1100 or less (not all the time, but they come up for that every once in a while).

The cheapest I have ever seen an L-00 standard is just short of $1500.

I have been highly considering both of these guitars and so I have been watching intently over the last 3-6 months.
The L-00 is priced at $2,099 new. They don't get down below $1,500 much for a used model?
Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Guest 728

"Value" cannot be determined by anyone but you. If you're simply asking about the potential resale price, I'd give the nod to the L-00.

I, however, put a greater value on the tone and playability of the LG2AE.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old West View Post
The L-00 is priced at $2,099 new. They don't get down below $1,500 much for a used model?
The Bubinga back/sides go for about $1300. Just sold a 2009 last year

Sold my 2014 Eagle for $1100 in 2015. The Eagles value has begun to rise on the resale market
Old 03-20-2018, 10:32 AM

the year of manufacture could play a role but Im saying L 00 cause I like them better and think the value will remain strongest , played both and prefered L 00, sid
Old 03-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
First, I don't think you will find your typical L-00 new for $2099. There's one available on Zzounds for $1999, but it's not a regular L00 (it's all mahogany done in natural). There's one on Sweetwater is $2899 and it is a 12-fret model.

Secondly, I don't think I've spotted one under $1500 used either, and I've been keeping an eye out.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:33 PM

I grabbed my AE LG2 for 1100. That was the cheapest I saw anywhere...
G7th Capos
Old 03-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
First, I don't think you will find your typical L-00 new for $2099. There's one available on Zzounds for $1999, but it's not a regular L00 (it's all mahogany done in natural). There's one on Sweetwater is $2899 and it is a 12-fret model.

Secondly, I don't think I've spotted one under $1500 used either, and I've been keeping an eye out.
Ah, I think I saw an old-stock model online at GC for $2,099. I guess I thought that was the going rate for a new standard L-00.

I have an offer to purchase one for $1,285. So that is a solid price in your opinion, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
I grabbed my AE LG2 for 1100. That was the cheapest I saw anywhere...
Was this a pre-2015 model without the pickguard and the single rosette around the sound hole? I'm focusing on the model with the pickguard, VTC pickup, Grover tuners and doubt rosette.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I bought a used 2016 which has the grover tuners, pickguard etc for $1150. It was in pretty good condition.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I bought a used 2016 which has the grover tuners, pickguard etc for $1150. It was in pretty good condition.
LG-2, right? What do you think of it? Can you compare/contrast it to any other guitars?

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Was this a pre-2015 model without the pickguard and the single rosette around the sound hole? I'm focusing on the model with the pickguard, VTC pickup, Grover tuners and doubt rosette.
Yes, mine is a 2014 minus the Grovers, rosette and pick guard. I actually prefer the white tuners. I could go either way regarding the pick guard.

You asked above what it sounds like compared to other guitars etc. IMHO, this guitar has really nice thick mids. Some small bodied guitars tend to sound really "boxy" but the AE LG2 really can belt it out given the all solid construction: solid Sitka top, solid Mahogany b&s. While the mids are nice and thick, its trebles are still there and the bass isn't as weak as one would think it would be on a small body.

Not only does it sound great with that nice Gibson "thump" but it's just sooo fun to play and oh-so comfortable to hold.

I was VERY fortunate to find my AE LG2 on Reverb and as luck would have it, the seller lived about 15 min over in the neighboring city.

I'm still experimenting with strings though. For all my other guitars, I've always loved John Pearse PB lights...but I might try the Gibson lights or possibly the D'Addario lights.

Good luck with your hunt! Keep us updated!
G7th Capos
Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
IMHO, this guitar has really nice thick mids. Some small bodied guitars tend to sound really "boxy" but the AE LG2 really can belt it out given the all solid construction: solid Sitka top, solid Mahogany b&s. While the mids are nice and thick, its trebles are still there and the bass isn't as weak as one would think it would be on a small body.

Not only does it sound great with that nice Gibson "thump" but it's just sooo fun to play and oh-so comfortable to hold.

I completely concur with this review -- my LG2AE is my hands-down favorite guitar.

I also have a Waterloo WL12 that more than adequately scratches my L-00 itch. IMO, they complement each other really well.

Quote:
I'm still experimenting with strings though. For all my other guitars, I've always loved John Pearse PB lights...but I might try the Gibson lights or possibly the D'Addario lights.
Try a set of Pearse Pure Nickels. After some breaking in, they really sound great on my LG2, and last seemingly forever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion