The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Thoughts on gs mini vs the lil guys

Good day everyone! Just curious about thoughts on the Taylor gs mini vs parlor guitars, and 00, and 000, I am really interested in the smaller guitars in general and am looking for input, the gs mini ticks a lot of boxes for me, but a 00, or 000, or L00 ticks a lot of boxes as well, thank you for your thoughts

Cheers!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 PM

I have a GS Mini and a Gibson B-25 3/4 (~ LG-2 3/4). Each speaks to me in its own way.

The GS Mini feels more like a full-sized guitar, the sound is a bit more boxy but well controlled; the action, while compensated by medium gauge strings, won't give you much jet lag. It's a little guitar mimicking its larger cousin.

The B-25 3/4 on the other hand, is very different. It's one of a kind. The ultra-short scale length(22.75"), narrow fingerboard, petite body and ladder bracing made it the most peculiar guitar I've ever played. It sounds boxy but articulate, weak but delicate. It's certainly not something you can use to gig everyday, but in its own territory none of the bigger boys can hold a candle. I'm still digging its potentials.

Speaking of 000, it's a relative big box, much bigger than the GS Mini, so I don't think they are comparable. 00 and L-00, although similar in size with the Mini, are designed with different (historical) purpose. It's again the rule of thumb, get your hands on them and find the one you like. If one can't satisfy you, get two.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 PM

I was in the hunt for a smaller guitar and tried many 00's and 000's. In the end since a 310 is my main guitar i wanted to save a little cash and went with the mini. it took a bit to appreciate but i am happy as it ticks a lot of happy boxes for me.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 PM

My partner has a GS Mini and gets a really nice sound from it. It sounds far bigger than it should. Way better than any parlor I've seen for $1000 or less!

When we were at a Folk Alliance regional conference last fall, it seemed like 1 of 5 of the attendees had one. These are pros who gig and travel a lot. I know some of them have other and better guitars that stay home (or local), but it seems to be popular to travel with when you need to actually perform a bit.

For myself, although it's fun to play, the short scale doesn't work as well as 25.5, which really lets me open up and stretch.

Also, I could not imagine recording with it. It's best use for us is as a plugged in live instrument (the ES2 is quite decent).

I think you need to try one - it will either feel and sound good, or it won't. Luckily there are tons of them out there (Taylor's most popular, I believe) so finding a few to try isn't hard for most.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 AM

I liked my mini (mahogany) a lot but I like my Cargo more...better sound (to me) and smaller yet, making it a great travel guitar but also my (currently) only at home guitar as well. Quite a lot more money though...
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 AM

Default Mini vs.......?

The Mini's, and other similar by Martin, Yamaha etc, always sound like toys to me. 00's are getting there and 000's are gems, IMHO.

The small scale and necks on mini's just push it over the line and make them a class of guitar that I don't even pick up when I'm in the stores anymore.

YMMV.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-21-2018, 06:24 AM

Play the GS mini and you should be able to tell right away if it is for you. For me it works well. Haven't gigged with it but thinking I could. I put some light strings on it yesterday which made it even easier to play and still has amazing sustain for such a small guitar. I did not like the Baby, big baby or the small Martin.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I played a GS Mini mahogany in a store and was flabbergasted by the power and classic rumble of a mahogany tone that it gave off. I could feel this thing in my chest. So I bought a spruce GS Mini and loved it but the size was so small.

GS Mini feels nothing like a full size guitar.

I just couldnt tolerate the cramped fingerboard.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGPAUL View Post
Good day everyone! Just curious about thoughts on the Taylor gs mini vs parlor guitars, and 00, and 000, I am really interested in the smaller guitars in general and am looking for input, the gs mini ticks a lot of boxes for me, but a 00, or 000, or L00 ticks a lot of boxes as well, thank you for your thoughts

Cheers!
I had a hog GS mini for about a year. I upgraded with bone saddle, Gotoh tuners, and bone bridge pins. I liked it fine but it sounded kind of boxy if you strummed with any energy but that was to be expected. And it looked and felt like a shrunk full size guitar. I sold it to help me buy a Rainsong Parlor P-12 that had a 1-3/4" nut, 12 fret neck, and 24.75" scale length. The P-12 is better in terms of clarity, projection, and a bit less boxy sounding (and it is a 12 fret short scale guitar). And it's easier for me to go from my Taylor GC 12 frets, OM, and 00 guitars because I don't feel cramped on the P-12's 12 fret short scale neck (a GS Mini feels cramped to me now). But I really love that the P-12 can go anywhere including a hot car on a Louisiana summer day. CF guitars are impervious to hot/cold weather changes. If you want to travel essentially worry free with a guitar, go carbon fiber.

Good luck.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 03-21-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
It's best use for us is as a plugged in live instrument (the ES2 is quite decent).
Just wanted to point out that they GS Mini-e no longer has the es-2. They have the es-b. A similar system with a much smaller, less powerful preamp. Plugged in they still sound pretty good but after consulting with a Taylor rep, I went for a used one with the es-2

I love my gs mini koa. On the couch, at a gig, with a band, giving lessons. It's good for everything.

I don't think it could be my only guitar, but I can;t think of a better #2.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 AM

I have the hog version GS mini. It is great for travel and I take it everywhere. I love that about it. I can slap the gig bag on my back with the backpack straps and have hands free for everything else.
I think for it's size the sound is really good - better than I would have guessed. I'm starting to dislike the smaller nut though and have begun to think about other options.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 AM

i always felt the gs mini is quite a bit bigger
than a parlor. maybe between a 00 and 000
but certainly larger than 0 .. am i wrong?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGPAUL View Post

Cheers!
I bought a GS Mini -- the Holden Village version -- one year when I was doing a great deal of commuting (basically, I was out of town during the work week every week). I've since given it to one of my daughters but I did play it a bunch and I still play it from time to time. As a travel/portable guitar, it's really very good -- a guitar, and not a guitar substitute, if that makes sense. Playable, with a fair bit of range to it, and it sounds like a guitar. And it's very, very portable in that padded gig bag -- it's a light load and I never had to check it.

So . . . good clarity and I would not say tinny -- I like it -- but compared with a good 00, much less a good 000 . . . maybe it falls short on grounds other than portability. When I just played the Mini a few days in a row, I got used to it. Solo, it worked for me. When I played with others it seemed to fall short. I wasn't hearing what I wanted to hear. It's not a guitar meant for a bluegrass circle, which might be a bug or a non-issue, depending on what you want. Also, while I do like short scale guitars, and while I'd say that I adjusted to the scale length, I do prefer a little more room than you get with that very short scale length. I'd say it's unfair to compare it with my 00, which is a Martin CEO-7, or my OM (SC). Those are much more expensive guitars. They're also larger guitars, even if we call them "small bodied." OTOH, head to head, against either of those guitars, I'd just never pick the Mini unless I were (a) noodling while reclining on the sofa or (b) taking the guitar on a long walk. The 00 has a much bigger voice -- more punch, more on the bottom end and, really, more going on throughout the range. If I were looking for a one-and-only guitar I'd much rather have a 00, and I think that would remain true if I cut that CEO-7 budget in half. At 500 bucks I'm not sure what I'd get, but I would look around.

I'm reading my own post as more negative than I intended. The mini is a cool little guitar at a good price. There's a lot to like about it. For the right player and/or the right purposes, it's definitely worth a look. If I were searching for a one-and-only guitar, I'd favor a good 00 or 000.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Plus side: When plugged in, the ES-2 (older version of Mini) sounds great.

My 814ce was in the shop and I needed to play at church that Sunday. Used my GS Mini and it sounded outstanding / similar enough to my 814ce. I also played live with it at a small gig at State Fair because I didn't want to bring a nicer guitar. It worked just fine there in a band situation. So if you want to gig with it via the pickup, at least the ES-2 equipped ones will work.

Down sides:

I find it generally uncomfortable to play. Scale length is too short, nut width is too narrow, neck finish is slow (like the 100/200 series) and even with lights it takes a lot of effort to fret notes. It could benefit from a setup but I'm not sure I want to put the money into it.

And unplugged tone isn't anything special.

For $500-ish price, I'm not sure there are better alternatives. Especially with a very nice gig bag and the quality electronics in the Mini. I tend to "grab it and go" when I just need a guitar and I want something portable that I don't care too much about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion