The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Default My acoustic gig last weekend reviewed in the local college newspaper....

So, I live in a college town and play a good bit of music in the college bars. Here is a review of a recent acoustic gig that was in the college newspaper. Apparently, if you are looking for music that is vanilla, beige and guaranteed not to offend, I'm your guy....After reading this I am changing my stage name to Captain Khaki. Enjoy.

Review: Jeff Rupp brings warm acoustic bliss to Dave's Dark Horse Tavern

Leah Worley | Staff Writer Mar 4, 2018 Updated Mar 6, 2018 0

Dave's Dark Horse Tavern closed out last week by hosting music artist Jeff Rupp on Saturday.

Though it was far from Rupp’s first time at Dave’s or other local venue’s in the Starkville area, it was my first time listening to him.

Unlike some other local bands I have reviewed like Jake Slinkard and Company and Tesheva, Jeff Rupp was not particularly astounding. He did not have a unique sound to be showcased or drooled over. His voice did not flood the room or demand to be heard on a bigger stage. I doubt he would make it to the big leagues, but these factors do not take away from the quality of the music.

Where Tesheva hits you like a swig of absinthe, Rupp was a fine-aged bourbon to perfectly suite the mood for a Saturday night spent at Dave’s. Most of Rupp’s set was covers of iconic pieces and artists. Songs ranged from The Jungle Book’s “I Wanna Be Like You” to Led Zeppelin, with many others in between.

His well-placed runs on the acoustic guitar played off Walton Jones’ jazzy chords on the keyboard. At one point, Jones picked up the bass guitar while Jimmy Redd used his “birthday boy privilege” to hop on keys. The trio took a few minutes for a brief impromptu jam session before leading into another cover which got the crowd singing along.

Occasionally, Redd or Jones would add in a harmony to Rupp’s timbre. Most of the time, the dimly lit tables of people were not locked in deep awe of the musicians. Yet, after each rendition of a song they may have just lost in the background, the crowd clapped its approval.

The bluesy rhythm was just enough for listeners to want to sway along as they ate fried pub food and enjoyed drinks with friends or significant others. The music was exactly what it needed to be.

Jake Slinkard and Company plays like they have already adjusted their sound to perform on their own big stages. Tesheva plays the kind of music you would expect to hear at a music festival as you sit on a blanket. Jeff Rupp had none of this but was still everything you would want to hear in the moment.

He and Jones were able to just play wholesome, good music to set the vibe. Sometimes, listeners need the flashy fog machines and sudden breaks and beats to make the heart stop. However, the more variety someone adds to expand their musical palette, the more he or she can develop a taste for a sound at different points in time.

Sometimes you just need to sit and soak in warm acoustic bliss away from the sharp notes of bands filling a stereo. When those moments come, Rupp is one to listen to.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 AM

Must be a nice feeling knowing your music brings joy and enjoyment to others. Thank you for sharing. 😎
Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRockinPapi View Post
Must be a nice feeling knowing your music brings joy and enjoyment to others. Thank you for sharing. 😎

Did we read the same article?? I found it amusing because of how lame she found my music. I say that with no malice toward her, my teenage daughters thought it was pretty funny.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

That review is just the way I'd want to be pictured. You obviously hit the nail squarely on the head...congrats! Just wish I could have been there to hear y'all...my kind of music and venue for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-08-2018, 10:16 AM

Didnt start out too good, but I get where she’s coming from. She’s comparing you to full bands, loud and in your face.
Acoustic music isn’t that, and to me that’s a good thing. I like going to see some live music and still be able to talk with friends.
Part of the reason I went “acoustic “ as well.
If you really want to stand out maybe start wearing leopard skin spandex and bandanas on your mic stand as you soothe the crowd with acoustic music haha!
Old 03-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Don't put too much stock in what critics write, good or bad. They are more about servicing their own careers than in informing the public about your ability.

Many years ago a critic wrote that we were using what he called "fake harmonies." We had no idea what he was talking about. Apparently, neither did he, as we later found out he thought we were using a vocal harmonizer, of which we'd never heard at the time. To this day I do not use one.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
Didnt start out too good, but I get where she’s coming from. She’s comparing you to full bands, loud and in your face.
Acoustic music isn’t that, and to me that’s a good thing. I like going to see some live music and still be able to talk with friends.
Part of the reason I went “acoustic “ as well.
If you really want to stand out maybe start wearing leopard skin spandex and bandanas on your mic stand as you soothe the crowd with acoustic music haha!
I was wearing a Speedo...so there's that.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I was wearing a Speedo...so there's that.
I once played a Halloween gig as a Chippendale dancer. Came home with a bunch of dollar bills in my pants (really!) Didn't read what the critics wrote.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:53 AM

If I were reviewing Leah Worley’s review, it would go something like this:

“Unlike some other music writers I have read, like Lester Bangs, or Peter Guralnick, Leah Worley was not particularly astounding. She did not have a unique style or perspective to be showcased or drooled over. Her writing did not make any particular impression or demand to be seen in wider publication. I doubt she would make it to the big leagues, and these factors do kind take away from the quality of the criticism.”

On the other hand, she mostly said nice things once she was done clearing her throat, and it sounds like you’d be fun to listen to in a bar.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Did we read the same article?? I found it amusing because of how lame she found my music. I say that with no malice toward her, my teenage daughters thought it was pretty funny.
I read that same article and didn't feel the reviewer found your music lame - I found it to be quite positive. If I were in the area, that review would certainly make me want to come see you.

Reviewers bring their own bias. After we first retired, I worked for a short time (4 months) as an "editorial assistant" for a local arts and entertainment publication. I expected to be cleaning up copy, writing an occasional article, answering phones, and doing whatever else was needed. During spring break (South Padre Island, TX), I was tasked with putting together an events calendar... and writing "previews" of acts scheduled at various venues. Yes, an old guy writing about acts I had never heard of, targeting spring break audiences. I did a lot of internet research.

This was 2008. I had no idea who Flo-Rida was, and I am certainly not into that type of music. As the oldest guy on staff, there was a lot of snickering when I asked, "Has anyone heard of this Florida person?" Yeah, I had to go back and put all the hyphens back in his name, before sending it to print!

Proof positive that the reviewer doesn't have to have any specialized skills or taste... I was told how much copy to write and... "Don't make the advertisers mad."

Yours is a good review.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM

"warm acoustic bliss" doesn't sound so bad to me!
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Just another fine example of reporters and music critics without a clue. She will be anchoring Entertainment Tonight in ten years. Heaven help us...... In fairness I think the overall tone of the review was positive. I'd go see you after reading the piece.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Could do worse than be a "fine-aged bourbon." In fact, I think I have done worse!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

I agree that it was a really positive review once you read past the writers need to be noticed by using descriptors she obviously was taught to include during her writing classes.

Funny she didn't mention the speedo
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Did anyone else get a vision of Ms.Worley in front of a keyboard, cutting and pasting assorted phrases from a Google search (search string "live music reviews"), as she composed her magnum opus? I take it this unnamed College isn't known for its Writing Program.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion