The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 PM

That's cool, I'm just curious why a lot of these recommendations are for "pre-war" guitars and why a pre-war OM is better (or recommended over) a regular OM guitar. I'm a little apprehensive to buy something based on hype or marketing ... especially when I don't know the history behind why world war II would change the sound of a guitar ... just saying ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I think the "pre-war thing" is this: Santa Cruz started building a non-bling OM based on the specs of the pre-war Martin OM. Thus: OM/PW. I bought one for my sister years ago....it is a terrific instrument. There is a lot of great advice in this thread. Bottom line: Get out and play some. Something will speak to you.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendial View Post
That's cool, I'm just curious why a lot of these recommendations are for "pre-war" guitars and why a pre-war OM is better (or recommended over) a regular OM guitar. I'm a little apprehensive to buy something based on hype or marketing ... especially when I don't know the history behind why world war II would change the sound of a guitar ... just saying ;-)
I understand and don't disagree with you. Many times, a company will hype a guitar designed after the 1940's guitars...

To take that particular guitar out of the realm of "hype" and move it into the realm of "getting what you paid for", I would rely on the hands of a luthier who can actually voice the top to a certain style rather than just design a guitar to look like a certain era or solely rely on a different bracing pattern.

Certainly, there is plenty of "hype" regarding a "pre-war" guitar. But ultimately, it comes down to design (including bracing), quality of woods and craftsmanship, and the voicing of the top that will determine if a particular guitar (pre-war or not) responds better than another.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM

Besides the simpler cosmetics on the Santa Cruz OM/PW compared to their OM, I believe the main difference that might affect the sound is in the bracing. You can read what they say about the guitars on their website:

OM:

"We present the Orchestra Model as a small-body guitar with a very powerful sound. The balance of the OM favors the bass to midrange, inviting comparison to a small dreadnought. The OM has become a favorite of fingerstylists and players preferring the comfort of a smaller body that delivers considerable power. This model is our most versatile and popular guitar."

OM/PW:

"The OM Pre-War Model is designed with many of the features in bracing and tone that the emerging singer-songwriter, the working musician, or a serious amateur will find desirable at a price before unheard of in guitars of this caliber.

The advanced X braces, which is the bracing pattern "Pre-War" refers to, is a good tonal option for those using the guitar for smaller accompaniment or rhythm. This style bracing gives the smaller bodied OM an incredible presence and bass response, yet retains a good balance with strong midrange and bright powerful response."
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendial View Post
Pre-War usually means Martin "pre-war" style bracing and voicing, which many players prefer. To get this means a certain design, voicing, bracing, careful building, sometimes hide glue, sometimes adirondack tops etc etc. It's generally a lighter design that requires more warranty work.

Some companies claim to create pre war replicas but very few actually do.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Everything mentioned are great guitars. But from the title of the thread, I am guessing that budget is a concern for you. If that's the case, I'd suggest the Larrivee OM-03 (sapele) or Larrivee OM-03R (rosewood). Both are available at very reasonable prices -- especially if you buy used -- and both are great guitars.

Jim
+1 - you can't go wrong on a used Larrivee OM-03R.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Default OM guitar

Hi,

I have a Collings OM2HC which is a very versatile guitar with a lot of punch and good balance. I'd recommend Collings without hesitation. LJS
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Without question the OM 21. At least that was my choice, and everyday it remains a joy to play and when I put it down I usually think, "Boy am I glad I brought that guitar!"

(Jon, if you are reading this thread, thanks again!)
Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Martin OM-21 or OM21 Special.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Defining "best"

Threads like this are simultaneously entertaining and exasperating. It's always interesting to see what people recommend. The difficulty lies in finding out what will make a guitar the best one for you (and not, say, me, or the other hooligans on this site).

Your price range gives you a great deal of flexibility. I would strongly recommend that you consider a used guitar, as you'll be able to maximize your value for your money. I also strongly recommend that you play whatever you decide to buy *before* you buy it. This means buying a guitar available in your area rather than buying online or from a private party who lives out of town.

My own experience is that shopping for a guitar takes time. My "first choice" lasted only until I found something better, and increased exposure to more instruments lead to more "first choices." The good news here is that you have enough money to buy a good instrument, irrespective of whether it is the crowd favorite (the Martin OM-21) or a Larrivee (fine guitars, too) or something a little more exotic like a used Goodall or Santa Cruz.

Taking the time to actually play the guitar you end up buying will mean the difference between owning a servicable guitar and one that lights up your heart every time you open the case. Every single guitar mentioned in these posts is servicable. You should take enough playing time to find the one that is right.
Taylor 355CE-12
Martin backpacker
Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

You gotta get out and play alot of them before you decide. I really like my Larrivee OM-05 and I've played quite a few Martin OMs as well - realy nice. There's a lot of road for you to cover, get your boots on!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 PM

I wonder where the term "The Best Bang for the Buck" came from? Must have been a Vegas thing!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion