The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2012, 04:19 AM

Default New Martin OMC-Aura finish/gloss peeling off headstock plate.

Hi. Just bought a brand new Martin omc aura March 2, 2weeks ago in NYC, Sam Ash. This morning it occurred to me that the glossfinish started to peel off the top left sided of the headstock. Just to check how much would peel off, I used my fingernail and this is the result on the youtubelink posted to this thread. I will email, the store manager to get their opinion on the matter. this guitar is my new masterpiece and I am thrilled to have such a nice and well playing instrument. I would in another words, be very sad and confused by now, since Martin is known for better quality than this, but choose to give them a chance to fix it or refinish it. I' m not shure of how they do it, but I' m curious of the reply I will get on the e-mail I sent. This is sure thing not a wear and tear thing since I hardly played it for more than one week since purchase, and hasn't been hit against anyting or misused. So I'll be happy to know what happened( fabrication failure?) I will surely have to to bring it back to the store so they can give it an inspection. I would be glad to hear your opinions on this or if anyone has experiensed "such a tragedy!! "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehuYd...sBB2U5zz0_lgw=

Sincerery, Jon.
Marshall ASD 100 Soloist
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 AM

Post your comments and the video on the UMGF; you'll get LOTSA feedback
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topographic View Post
Post your comments and the video on the UMGF; you'll get LOTSA feedback
thank you
Marshall ASD 100 Soloist
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 AM

You should have two choices, repair or replacement, a shame but it happens.

I would want to play another new Aura (had an OMC-Aura for 7 years, great stage guitar), if the other Aura sounds better I would exchange for it, if the the one with the finish problem sounds "noticeably" better I would get it repaired. Good Luck!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
You should have two choices, repair or replacement, a shame but it happens.

I would want to play another new Aura (had an OMC-Aura for 7 years, great stage guitar), if the other Aura sounds better I would exchange for it, if the the one with the finish problem sounds "noticeably" better I would get it repaired. Good Luck!
Thank's for replying. I was told , the Auras are not in production any more, and this was the only one in store. So just have to wait for their answer at Sam Ash.
Anyway, this guitar sound really good, and it' s a keeper, but it's optional wether to keep it or exhange it with something similar, since reparing a new guitar doesn' t sound like the right thing to do, even if I would presume it wouldn't affect the sound by repairing/ replazing the headplate. Or the value of it for that matter( just a thought, not a experts opinion!)
Marshall ASD 100 Soloist
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbilt View Post
Thank's for replying. I was told , the Auras are not in production any more, and this was the only one in store. So just have to wait for their answer at Sam Ash.
Anyway, this guitar sound really good, and it' s a keeper, but it's optional wether to keep it or exhange it with something similar, since reparing a new guitar doesn' t sound like the right thing to do, even if I would presume it wouldn't affect the sound by repairing/ replazing the headplate. Or the value of it for that matter( just a thought, not a experts opinion!)
The other thing is the OMC-Aura uses the first generation Aura electronics, it's great, I used it for years, but there is a newer version in the Performing Artists 1-3 models called the F1 Aura, the PA 4's use the F1 analog, not the same thing.

From a long time multi-Martin owner I would get a Performing Artist model with the newer F1 Aura electronics. I traded my OMC-Aura and some cash against a GPCPA1, there is a noticeable difference.

Electronics change so quickly to begin with, get the latest. Good Luck!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
The other thing is the OMC-Aura uses the first generation Aura electronics, it's great, I used it for years, but there is a newer version in the Performing Artists 1-3 models called the F1 Aura, the PA 4's use the F1 analog, not the same thing.

From a long time multi-Martin owner I would get a Performing Artist model with the newer F1 Aura electronics. I traded my OMC-Aura and some cash against a GPCPA1, there is a noticeable difference.

Electronics change so quickly to begin with, get the latest. Good Luck!!
thank's for good advice
Marshall ASD 100 Soloist
Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbilt View Post
Hi. Just bought a brand new Martin omc aura March 2, 2weeks ago in NYC, Sam Ash. This morning it occurred to me that the glossfinish started to peel off the top left sided of the headstock. Just to check how much would peel off, I used my fingernail and this is the result on the youtubelink posted to this thread. I will email, the store manager to get their opinion on the matter. this guitar is my new masterpiece and I am thrilled to have such a nice and well playing instrument. I would in another words, be very sad and confused by now, since Martin is known for better quality than this, but choose to give them a chance to fix it or refinish it. I' m not shure of how they do it, but I' m curious of the reply I will get on the e-mail I sent. This is sure thing not a wear and tear thing since I hardly played it for more than one week since purchase, and hasn't been hit against anyting or misused. So I'll be happy to know what happened( fabrication failure?) I will surely have to to bring it back to the store so they can give it an inspection. I would be glad to hear your opinions on this or if anyone has experiensed "such a tragedy!! "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehuYd...sBB2U5zz0_lgw=

Sincerery, Jon.
Since this guitar is no longer available, I would have it sent back to the factory for repair. Martin does an outstanding job on all repairs including refinishing. It's obvious that what needs to be done will not change the sound of the guitar in any way.

Their turn around time is usually pretty fast as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser View Post
Since this guitar is no longer available, I would have it sent back to the factory for repair. Martin does an outstanding job on all repairs including refinishing. It's obvious that what needs to be done will not change the sound of the guitar in any way.

Their turn around time is usually pretty fast as well.
Thank you for your knowledge and good words. I hope that, that will be the choice of the the guitar store and C.F. Martin.
Marshall ASD 100 Soloist
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Excellent , Sam Ash. In reply of the mail sent about my guitar gloss peeling off the headstock, they wrote, come by for an exchange. That' s what I call excellent service. Just as easy as that. Few simple words that lit up my day. So case closed! Thank' s to those og you posted on my issue for your help and experience
Marshall ASD 100 Soloist

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
finish, gloss, headstock, peeling off