The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-27-2024, 07:02 AM

Default Suggest a gypsy jazz piece for me to learn

I'm a beginner to the gypsy jazz style but I've enough technique (can do la pompe and rest stroke picking) material that's not for beginners.

If it's available to download (free or paid) then I can get started sooner than if I have to buy it from a shop.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

My suggestion would be Minor Swing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcE1...annel=brayhann
This, to my ear, is just an iconic piece. Surely not "easy," but is classic Django. But not a break-neck speed. I do not do this on guitar, but am a jazz clarinetist who just loves to play this genre, as well as klezmer, in my horns. As I am fond of saying, I played in one of the two finest klezmer bands in the entire state of Maine....
Enjoy your dive into Le Jazz Hot!

David
Old 02-27-2024, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Hi thefsb
Sweet Georgia Brown

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-27-2024, 08:19 AM

I'm confused, you're looking for an arrangement? Like a solo to learn?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-27-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'm confused, you're looking for an arrangement? Like a solo to learn?
Chords and melody is the main thing. (I might try to come up with my own solo or see how far I get copying DR.)

A lead sheet and chord diagrams would save me a lot of time. But for example with just the link that Deliberate1 gave to Minor Swing in Youtube, I can find lots of adaptions in Ultimate Guitar etc. with a web search.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
My suggestion would be Minor Swing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcE1...annel=brayhann
This, to my ear, is just an iconic piece. Surely not "easy," but is classic Django. But not a break-neck speed. I do not do this on guitar, but am a jazz clarinetist who just loves to play this genre, as well as klezmer, in my horns. As I am fond of saying, I played in one of the two finest klezmer bands in the entire state of Maine....
Enjoy your dive into Le Jazz Hot!
Yes. That's exemplary. Combination of the recording and Ultimate Guitar will get me started. Might find better transcription somewhere but I'll have a try with this.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...ng-tabs-728676
Old 02-27-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
Chords and melody is the main thing. (I might try to come up with my own solo or see how far I get copying DR.)

A lead sheet and chord diagrams would save me a lot of time. But for example with just the link that Deliberate1 gave to Minor Swing in Youtube, I can find lots of adaptions in Ultimate Guitar etc. with a web search.
Ah, gotcha.

In that case, Minor Swing is a great one...if you want a challenge, Check out Nuages...or an easier ballad would be Django's Castle (Manoir de mes reves)

You should be able to find a lead sheet pretty easily. I'd be happy to help with chord forms if you need them.

Just a word of warning, Ultimate Guitar might not have "authentic" chord forms depending on who uploaded...the good news is thechord forms for Django's music aren't too difficult, and a lot of them serve multiple functions...pick I tune, we can go through it here...love this style of jazz.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Ah, gotcha.

In that case, Minor Swing is a great one...if you want a challenge, Check out Nuages...or an easier ballad would be Django's Castle (Manoir de mes reves)

You should be able to find a lead sheet pretty easily. I'd be happy to help with chord forms if you need them.

Just a word of warning, Ultimate Guitar might not have "authentic" chord forms depending on who uploaded...the good news is thechord forms for Django's music aren't too difficult, and a lot of them serve multiple functions...pick I tune, we can go through it here...love this style of jazz.
I know. I treat UG with caution. Many errors. But it's cool how people document their versions.

I found this and will use it for reference.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:59 PM

Well, that's a good one, because that's Django's solo from the 1937 version!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write