The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Default An unexpected gig, wish me luck !!

At 65 I'm semi-retired from performing, done it for decades, enjoy having folks over pretty much every week, no setup, no equipment moves, that's my music fix, playing with friends.

I have lunch a few times a week at a local restaurant and one of the wait staff had a freak accident and got an eye full of glass, two emergency surgeries the first day and more since. I casually mentioned if they had any kind of fund raising I would offer to play a free night. The manager thanked me, mentioned they are part of a chain and would need corporate approval, and I heard nothing back........

A few days ago I got a call, corporate loves the idea, and they want to make it a big benefit, execs will be there, VIP treatment for the injured person's family, and have prizes and raffles, and they will match the donations.

And, by the way, we need a press kit for the media promotion and flyers !! So........now expectations are a few hundred people, I get to host and play, and I'm scrambling to put together sets that will be up tempo and familiar, rather than my singer/songwriter stuff, just not the right venue and this benefit isn't about me.

One thought I'm working on is a block of familiar Texas singer/songwriters songs; Buddy Holly (It doesn't Matter anymore), Jerry Jeff Walker (Mr. Bojangles), Townes Van Zandt (Pancho and Lefty), and I get to use my spiffy new VoiceLive3 to add harmonies !! Lots of Beatles and Eagles too.

Sorry for the long post, haven't played a "venue" in two years, ay my age this is "exciting".

Unexpectedly back in the saddle...

"Bryn Benefit", Snuffers restaurant, Beltline and Midway, Addison Texas, 6-8, Tuesday 8/18, love to see some DFW AGFer's.

FYI - if this was just a gig I wouldn't even be posting, but raising money for a good cause, yes I'll promote....

Edit - to clarify, I am not asking anyone for donations, I know it isn't allowed here, this is an invite for any local DFW-ers to stop by.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by rmyAddison; 08-14-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like a nice set your working up. Good luck. Wish I could be there to see it.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:43 AM

Great stuff Rich !

I am certain it will all go well and I hope you raise plenty of money for the unfortunate injured guy.

Break a Leg !
Jon
Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 AM

Would love to go, but Tuesday is when I'm always "booked" to listen to singer/songwriters up here in McKinney.

And sorry for the circumstances that led to this unexpected gig. Fortunately, seems like he has a great company/friends to help him through this.

A waitress I've only known now for about a month up here at a different restaurant just found out last week that her dad (a roofer) fell off a 3-story house. Last I heard the prognosis wasn't very good. Not sure if she'll ever be back or not, so I can only let her friends who work there at the restaurant know to tell her that she and her dad/family are in my prayers.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 AM

I should have clarified, the injured person is a young lady with a 5 year old, she's already had 3 eye surgeries and looking at more, I hope we raise buckets of money for her.......

Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 AM

Sounds like a mighty full plate! Since you're pretty wrapped up in all phases of the production, would it make sense to enlist a couple other capable musicians to share the performance load with you. Might make it a lot easier to have a good size show w/out killing yourself trying to get a boatload of material ready in short order??
Old 08-14-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Sounds like a mighty full plate! Since you're pretty wrapped up in all phases of the production, would it make sense to enlist a couple other capable musicians to share the performance load with you. Might make it a lot easier to have a good size show w/out killing yourself trying to get a boatload of material ready in short order??
Good thought but they want "down time" to have the raffles, promotions to help raise money, I have lots of local playing buddies who would pitch in. It's more a benefit than a concert, I'll be hosting as much as playing.

I have lots of material, just want to have sets appropriate for the evening, more a sorting exercise than actual learning. The evening is already planned.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 AM

Hope the benefit is a big success. Very worthwhile way to put you back in front of the public.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 AM

Very kind of you to offer your time and talent to help out. I hope the benefit goes well and raises lots of money.
Maybe some tunes from Guy Clark, Lyle Lovett, and Robert Earl Keen might help to fill out the set list.

I do have one question, was she injured on the job, and if so, shouldn't the restaurant's worker's comp insurance be paying her medical bills?

Last edited by architype; 08-14-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Very kind of you to offer your time and talent to help out. I hope the benefit goes well and raises lots of money.
Maybe some tunes from Guy Clark, Lyle Lovett, and Robert Earl Keen might help to fill out the set list.

I do have one question, was she injured on the job, and if so, shouldn't the restaurant's worker's comp insurance be paying her medical bills?
Yes, the restaurant is being very good (matching donations) and worker's comp will be paying, but there is lost income and her being out maybe months, this is to help with living expenses.

If I have time to learn any new songs I like your suggestions....

Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM

Rich- if you don't know it already- SRV's "Pride & Joy" is really nice acoustically. I believe you can find it on YouTube

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
shouldn't the restaurant's worker's comp insurance be paying her medical bills?
There are lots of OTHER expenses besides the medical ones that have to be taken care of in such a situation.

And so much depends on the family situation, too. If she's a single mom, for example, that can make things dramatically worse than if she has a working spouse/boyfriend also helping support her. And whether she has any family nearby who can help financially and in many OTHER ways, as well.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

That's wonderful...and a classy move by both you and corporate! I'm sure you will do great. Praying for mucho money to be raised for a great cause.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Rich, Good for you! Great thing to offer up and do for someone. I've been having a hankering for a Snuffer's burger for some time, but unfortunately I probably won't be back in town in time to attend, we'll see.

Good Luck
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Good on ya. Have a great time and I hope you raise buckets of $$$.

Not to add to your to do list but I'd bet there might be some forum folks (me for example) who might like to drop a few $$ in the donation bucket. Any mechanism to do that?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases