The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-05-2024, 04:30 PM

Default Whole tone bend on G string on Martin D-18?

I'm trying to play some electric guitar songs on the acoustic. There's some whole tone bends going on on the G string at around the 9th/10th fret.

I'd like to play on the acoustic for situations when I have just the acoustic guitar with me.

I currently have medium strings on the D-18 and can't bend it.

Would it be possible if I switched to light or super light strings?
Old 04-05-2024, 04:38 PM

There are hybrid sets of strings out there where the first 3 strings are light gauge and the bottom 3 are medium
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-05-2024, 05:20 PM

The problem with anything lighter than a twenty-eight is that it'll go dead in just a few days. At least mine do, because I bend a lot.

It's no use expecting an acoustic to behave like an electric. So I just slide up a fret and do a half-step bend. Sounds fine.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:48 AM

Thanks!

I never thought of it. Semi-tone bends are very doable on the medium strings for me.

A minor issue is that I also need to play a couple notes on the B and hi-E string 2 frets down from where I bend the G string.

So, using the semi-tone strategy, I'm bending 3 frets up from where I'm holding down the B and E strings with my index finger. It's a real stretch for me to also push that G string up a semi-tone. But, I think with time, my hand will stretch.

Yes, I agree that I should play electric songs on an electric. But sometimes I'm out and only have my acoustic. I like this semi-tone idea.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:30 AM

Well, if you're playing electric guitar pieces on a medium gauge acoustic, what do you expect? Nobody bends a whole step on acoustic, unless they have light or ultra light fitted.

So - if you habitually like to play electric blues licks on an acoustic - the obvious solution is to fit lighter strings. (Or do the half-step a fret above, as mentioned.)

Another solution would be to tune down (and use a capo if you need to be in an original key).

Personally, on my Yamaha LL11 (25.65 scale length), I have custom lights (11-52), and can just about bend a half-step on the G. Obviously I'm a wimp, because I need 2 fingers to do even that (fretting with the ring finger and adding the middle behind it to bend). But having tried to get a whole step (the G is 23), I find the string simply won't go far enough across the fretboard. It takes around a 1/2" to get the half-step, and of course the next string needs to move too.

Obviously you're not me - ! - but aside from lighter strings, I'd suggest either tuning down, or pushing the string with 2 fingers - or both!

Last edited by JonPR; 04-06-2024 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Thanks!

I never thought of it. Semi-tone bends are very doable on the medium strings for me.

A minor issue is that I also need to play a couple notes on the B and hi-E string 2 frets down from where I bend the G string.

So, using the semi-tone strategy, I'm bending 3 frets up from where I'm holding down the B and E strings with my index finger. It's a real stretch for me to also push that G string up a semi-tone. But, I think with time, my hand will stretch.

Yes, I agree that I should play electric songs on an electric. But sometimes I'm out and only have my acoustic. I like this semi-tone idea.
Yup, work on it and it'll happen. I do that, too: hold down the B and E with my forefinger and bend the G with one or two other fingers.

If you haven't tried it, use your middle- and ring finger (or ring and pinkie) together to bend the G. Two fingers are stronger than one.

I also often like the sound of mid-tone bends. Very bluesy, especially on an acoustic. So it's no crime to fall short of a known note sometimes.

And keep in mind Jerry Garcia's advice: electric and acoustic guitars are different instruments and have to be used differently.

Keep on pluckin'!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-06-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:39 AM

you could use a plain G String rather than a wired one. Much easier to bend.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Depends on how far you want to bend it. But as someone mentioned, they do make hybrid sets 12-56, sometimes marketed as Bluegrass sets. That’s what I have on my HD-35 and they are great.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Depends on how far you want to bend it. But as someone mentioned, they do make hybrid sets 12-56, sometimes marketed as Bluegrass sets. That’s what I have on my HD-35 and they are great.
What gauge are the G strings? I find I need twenty-eights.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:58 AM

or you could stop bending strings on an acoustic or join a rock band
Old 04-06-2024, 10:56 AM

The answer lies in your hands. Just order/buy some light, custom-light and/or super-lights and give them a try. It's hard for anyone to say what you can do with your instrument and set up.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
or you could stop bending strings on an acoustic or join a rock band
To quote Dan Stern in Home Alone II: "NEVAHHH!"
Old 04-06-2024, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm trying to play some electric guitar songs on the acoustic. There's some whole tone bends going on on the G string at around the 9th/10th fret.

I'd like to play on the acoustic for situations when I have just the acoustic guitar with me.

Hi JackC1
Niko nailed it when he mentioned suggested a plain (non-wound) third. People seem to have forgotten that normally the 3rd string (G) on an acoustic guitar is a wound string whereas on electric it's normally a plain string (which is hard enough to bend full steps). This is the most common config.

I recommend you to change it out on said guitar for a plain string.

A full step bend may not be easily possible if you must first play the note and then bend (as opposed to plant/bend in one move).

Also, full step bends sometimes require us to use two fingers planted together to accomplish full step bends.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-09-2024, 04:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Jack,
When you finally install a set of strings that have an unwound G on your D-18, let me know how you like the sound.

Given the parameters: Medium bronze set average total tension 185lbs vs a
141lbs for a basic Custom light set .052-.011 w/unwound .017 3rd string.....You're going to need to adjust your truss rod at the very least, or the amount of string buzz, etc is going to be a really big issue.

Want to just put an unwound .017 on your medium set? Go ahead......how's the balance?

You're probably not ready to start thinking about any given song you've played on electric from a different point of view, but you should consider it.

HE
Old 04-12-2024, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Just re-arrarange the song accompaniment so it works on a D-18. Your audience isn't going to give a crap if the note bends are there or not. They are listening to you sing the song.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write