The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Huss & Dalton Neck Shape.

Could anybody tell me what the neck shape is on the H&D 000 standard?
Cheers.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Your best be would be to call the folks over there. Unlike calling a factory, you'll get your answer within minutes from a live person, as there are only a dozen in the place.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 PM

I've owned three H&D guitars - still own one that I'll never part with. The neck profile is one of the reasons I gravitate toward H&D guitars. I find it to be one of the most comfortable shapes for me. If I had to describe it, I'd say it's a medium-C shape. Perhaps just a whisper of a V near the headstock - but really barely there. There is even less V that the Collings Mod-V shape (which is very subtle indeed).

The neck is not as slender as a Taylor or Martin MLO - it's got a bit of chunk to it. But it's not a beefy neck at all (like the Waterloo necks).

In my opinion, medium C describes it. And I've found great consistency in the neck profile across all the H&Ds I've played.

Hope that helps. But Toby's suggestion is a good one. Call 'em. They're every friendly folks.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 AM

I seem to recall reading on this forum that Huss & Dalton have terrible customer service, I can't find that post right now but I think the guy had a problem with the neck angle and H&D wouldn't deal with it, instead constantly referring him back to his dealer, who was equally as useless in dealing with the matter.

Found it:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...01&postcount=2
Old 03-26-2017, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the replies, big V necks are no, no for me so I will do a bit more digging.
Cheers.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:56 AM

wessywest,
I played one recently and compared to Larrivee and Taylor necks.
I really wanted to like the Larrivee but it was just a bit to wide for my taste. I have a taylor and like the neck a lot.
I thought the Huss and Dalton neck felt great. The V was subtle IMO and closer to the Taylor than the Larrivee.

Im serious considering buying the H&D OM Road Series.

NW
Old 03-26-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
I seem to recall reading on this forum that Huss & Dalton have terrible customer service, I can't find that post right now but I think the guy had a problem with the neck angle and H&D wouldn't deal with it, instead constantly referring him back to his dealer, who was equally as useless in dealing with the matter.

Found it:

Yes...there is one really disgruntled poster in here that takes every chance he can to slander Huss and Dalton as a company for his dealings with them. I imagine we are only hearing one side of the story there. Huss and Dalton makes a world class guitar that I would stack up against anyone. To the topic of the neck...yes...I feel little to no v with a nice medium c shape. They're glad to do any carve you'd like, though.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post
wessywest,
I played one recently and compared to Larrivee and Taylor necks.
I really wanted to like the Larrivee but it was just a bit to wide for my taste. I have a taylor and like the neck a lot.
I thought the Huss and Dalton neck felt great. The V was subtle IMO and closer to the Taylor than the Larrivee.

Im serious considering buying the H&D OM Road Series.

NW
Thanks for that, Taylor necks I like so the H&D sounds like something suitable for me.
Cheers.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsdmb View Post
Yes...there is one really disgruntled poster in here that takes every chance he can to slander Huss and Dalton as a company for his dealings with them. I imagine we are only hearing one side of the story there. Huss and Dalton makes a world class guitar that I would stack up against anyone. To the topic of the neck...yes...I feel little to no v with a nice medium c shape. They're glad to do any carve you'd like, though.

I believe Andy (Silly Moustache) when he says that he had a terrible experience with Huss & Dalton. He's a pretty straight guy who wanted to love the instrument.

On the other hand, I've always had great experiences with Huss & Dalton. I've visited the factory and met the people there. All were first rate. I've owned three H&D guitars and still have two. They're among my absolute favorite guitars.

Andy is in England and I wouldn't be surprised if things get a lot more complicated when ordering an instrument from a small company in the US from overseas, especially if there's something wrong with the instrument when the purchaser gets it. I have no idea who Andy's dealer was. I can imagine, though, that trying to resolve a problem when the manufacturer is an ocean away from the dealer, the purchaser, or both gets a lot more involved and frustrating. Typical domestic warranties often don't apply internationally. So his experience may not be representative and certainly differs from every impression I have of H&D. But that's not to invalidate the fact that he did have a bad experience, for whatever reason.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

My DS has, although 1 3/4" wide, what I would call a thin or slender neck. Definately C-shape. Similar to an early 60's Fender. Love this guitar to death. Neck shape not unlike my New-Hartford-build Guild D55 (which is very unlike my older Tacoma-build which was defiinately Louisville-Slugger). I believe that their different models may have different neck profiles so calling to ask is the best thing to do.

As far as customer service...will try to be brief...received a pretty major unauthorized repair from my dealer when I had a buzz problem and guitar was a few months old...I was disconsolate...but H & D stepped up to the plate and repaired my guitar under warranty, and then had a quiet word with the dealer (who did continue as a dealer for them until the store's sad demise).

Few years later, really having trouble with the Waverly tuners on her, once again H & D set about to make it right (I wanted them to just put on some of the H & D branded Schallers, at my expense!). Just cannot say enough good about those people.

I want one of their Pilgrims so baaadddd....

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-26-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity, adjusted accordingly
Old 03-26-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post

Found it:

I would say that my H and D dreads have the most comfortable neck of any that I have played - that's part of the reason I own two.

Only had the best of experiences with Jeff/Mark and the whole H and D gang from general questions, customer service to their end product.

That being said, sometimes things happen to both end users and product producers that simply do not mesh up including making a guitar that suits and individuals specific needs.
Both sides of that matter are good people.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I have had dealings with H&D and owned a couple beautiful guitars that they made. No problems. However the neck is just a smidge to big for me but I think it would be comfortable for most people. If you want a boutique guitar with thinner neck try Bourgeois or if you have the extra$$$ Goodall and Froggy Bottom
Old 03-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I think a broad look at comments about H&D here will generally show admiration of their designs and respect for their customer service. I'm sure there is no company with 100% satisfaction, but H&D's service to me was as good as any I've ever received.

The neck on my standard 00 is a very slight V, but not bulky at all. If you're looking at a pre-owned one though, it may have had a different neck ordered on it. You can always check the serial number with Kimberly at H&D and she can tell you all about it.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Huss & Dalton will also carve you a custom neck to your exact specs, for what we consider to be a very reasonable upcharge ($150). We recently had a customer who wanted to mimic the neck on a Breedlove guitar that he really enjoyed playing. We sent that guitar to H&D and they duplicated the neck exactly. We were all very pleased with the result.

Truss rod depth seems to be the only factor that would prevent certain low-profile designs from being copied.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:44 AM

i ask H&D to customize a neck at 12* radius and they wouldnt do it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion