The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Peak Erase Question

I record off different CDs at times and make up my own group of music I want to listen to. Different music for different groups, whatever. So the recorded music has variations in volume. To make it so I am not having to adjust the volume when listening I adjust the waves to get all the tracks as close to sounding at the same volume as I can. I don't compress.

My question is in regards to the clipping. I'll run a check to see if there is any clipping. When I run into a track where it clips I go in and use a pointer to back off the point that clips. These are very small points and I don't know how much. I don't do much of this but I do do it at times. Usually a drum hit or hand clap. So there is no clipping when I'm done. I don't hear a difference in the sound but I know I changed it. So by doing this did I make something out of tune? Or what? This is not a big deal I'm just wondering about it. Thanks.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-10-2017, 04:21 PM

You just lowered the volume slightly on that tiny section of music is all.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 03-10-2017, 04:40 PM

You might be interested in using some kind of volume normalizer rather than doing each track manually.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
You might be interested in using some kind of volume normalizer rather than doing each track manually.

I'll look into this.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 AM

This may or may not be inconsequential but the nomenclature here perhaps needs to be clarified. If you've encountered digital clipping drawing volume automation won't do anything to eliminate the "clipping". It will of course lower the volume of the event but once digital clipping happens it remains forever.

There are various tools out there that attempt to reconcile a clipped digital event but I've never seen one that doesn't create new sonic anomaly.

Maybe fundamentally this is not what the OP's question is but clarification on potential misunderstanding of terminologies, can't really tell but clarification perhaps needed here

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD