The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default What do you use to polish a nickel plated reso?

I have a Republic Tricone 200 I bought back in 15 and it needs a good cleaning and polish. What does everyone else use to polish it?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:29 PM

I've been using Nevr-Dull (available at most hardware/auto supply stores) on my banjos, so it should be OK on a reso as long as it's not lacquered over; stuff was developed for the military during WW II (they still use it TMK), stinks like crazy (you'll want to wear rubber gloves and provide plenty of ventilation ) but works better than anything else I've tried and lasts literally forever - I've had the same can for 25 years and I'm only about two-thirds through...
Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've been using Nevr-Dull (available at most hardware/auto supply stores) on my banjos, so it should be OK on a reso as long as it's not lacquered over; stuff was developed for the military during WW II (they still use it TMK), stinks like crazy (you'll want to wear rubber gloves and provide plenty of ventilation ) but works better than anything else I've tried and lasts literally forever - I've had the same can for 25 years and I'm only about two-thirds through...
Thanks Steve. I'll have to wait to summer time and do it outside and let the thing air out. My wife has that kind of sense of smell that anything unusual "Makes her sick", which I'm sick of hearing about, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:26 PM

National recommends Flitz for their nickel plated instruments.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:11 AM

I have a real keyboard in front of me today instead of that phone. Let me elaborate. I own a Style 1 Tricone. They give you a small packet of Flitz with a new purchase. I wasn't good about keeping the instrument wiped down, so it developed some tarnish. I wound up buying a bottle of Flitz. It's a bit hard to find, I never found a single hardware store in my area that sells it so eventually went online.

It does work. Works better if you don't let tarnish build up, like I did. But it all came out. You don't need to ventilate. Here's a little more info:

http://www.nationalguitars.com/product-page/flitz
Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 AM

I use flitz for when there's something I can't rub away with nothing... I honestly don't worry about my guitars remaining perfect. In fact if you show me a pristine, perfect mirror-like national, I'm guessing you don't play it. But my point isn't to throw shade on perfect guitars, it's to make the statement that Flitz is mildly abrasive, and over time will wear down the finish if you use it every time you put the guitar away. I know they call it non-abrasive. I don't buy it, and I've heard first hand from others also.

But the key is to avoid needing to polish it. After a serious cleaning I always use a carnuba wax to protect the finish.

so for me, I wipe them down with a clean soft cloth every time I play. I'm talking under good light, and miss nothing.

If there is some light clouding begining to appear in the main "bad spots", like where the neck meets the lower bout, where your arm rests, the strap, where you rest your fingers depending on how you fingerpick, etc., I will use as little Flitz as possible and rub as little and as gently as possible.

Then if I have had to use Flitz, which is not often, I'll take that as a sign that I need to re-wax and polish the guitar. Any Carnuba product will do. There are some specific guitar products, or car products.

I should add that white vinegar is often recommended. I haven't had good luck with that. I've needed to use flitz over the top of it to remove the "water stains" left by the vinegar.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Thanks, that's good to know Blue. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do sort of regret ever getting a Style 1. That finish is a major PIA. Love the tone, but the instrument doesn't fit what I do anymore anyway. I will sell it eventually.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
Thanks, that's good to know Blue. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do sort of regret ever getting a Style 1. That finish is a major PIA. Love the tone, but the instrument doesn't fit what I do anymore anyway. I will sell it eventually.
I hear ya! The thing is at some point you have to lose the modern "I'm just holding on to this until I move it along" attitude, or it'll just weigh on you until you do get rid of it.

My nickel nationals are MINE. I've never lost money on a guitar ( I don't count shipping and listing fees ), but it's possible I would if I sold them. Because mine aren't so called "mint". They can't be if you play them every day. They simply can't.

Cue the claims and pictures of "I play it everyday and mine is perfect!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments