The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Fairbanks F-SJ 13-fret

Not sure how often I'll be updating this, but I received my first build pic from Dale Fairbanks yesterday, so I know my guitar is on the bench!

I love the tone of sloped-shoulder dreads. And though I've had a number of them over the years, they all bothered my shoulder a bit after playing them for extended periods, so I regrettably sold them all. However, I REALLY missed having one, so I discussed some spec options with Dale Fairbanks, and together we came up with a design that would give me the tone I want, while being more comfortable for me to play.

Dale is building me a sloped shoulder dread with a shallower body depth at the tail block. Typically they're 4-3/4" to 4-13/16" deep, but for comfort, mine will be 4-1/2" deep. Additionally, I have really come to like guitars with a 13-fret neck join (to me, they're kind of the best of both worlds), so this will be a 13-fretter. Other than that, it will have a 1-3/4" nut width, 2-1/4" string-spacing at the saddle, split parallelogram fingerboard inlays, his amazing sunburst finish, and like all of Dale's guitars, a dovetail neck joint & hot hide glue throughout. It'll be built/braced to shoot for that late-40's/early 50's J-45 tone I like so well, and Dale is extremely confident that he can nail that tone for me on this guitar.

This will be Dale's first 13-fret slope, and he is as excited about building this guitar as I am about getting it--which makes it especially cool for me! So, to say I'm excited about this would be a gross understatement...I CAN'T WAIT!!! As for pictures, this is all I have at the moment...the soundhole cutout, and the Main Stage case that will house this beautiful instrument when it's complete...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 04-15-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: reloaded pics
Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Congrats! This should be a stellar guitar. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

And we're off! This will be fun to watch.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 AM

Very cool. Excited to see this come together! The sunburst will look great in that case. The custom plate with the Fairbanks logo is a nice touch.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 AM

Yeah, should be a beautiful guitar. My F40 Smeck 12 fretted is the cream of my collection. This will be an interesting build.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 AM

Look forward to seeing this one. Regarding shoulder comfort, have you considered doing a Manzer wedge?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Regarding shoulder comfort, have you considered doing a Manzer wedge?
I did, but after much correspondence with Dale regarding playing style, tonal preferences, etc., etc., he felt that by merely reducing the body depth at the tail-stock, he could best meet the objective for comfort, without any adverse impact on tone. And since he is the builder I chose to place my confidence in for this guitar, I trust him with that decision.

Typically, the depth at the neck block is approx. 1" shallower than at the tail block; however, to maintain as much body volume as possible, this guitar will keep the standard 3-7/8" depth at the neck block (with the reduced 4-1/2" depth at the tail block), so there will only be a 5/8" taper. The 13-fret join came into play here as well. Not only was it a primary want of mine from a playability standpoint, it is also in my view--and Dale agrees--a great compromise between the benefits of a 14-fret (fret access) and a 12-fret (bridge position). The scale length of this guitar will remain at 24-3/4", so the 13-fret neck join moves the bridge closer to the sweet spot, which will also help to offset any loss that may occur from the slightly shallower depth at the tail stock.

Of course, other features of this guitar, such as bracing, etc. will also be taken into account and positioned/shaped accordingly to best compliment the build. So, if it all works as planned--and Dale is extremely confident it will--I'll have a more comfortable sloped-shoulder dread, without losing anything tonally. As I mentioned in my original post, this will be Dale's first 13-fret slope-shoulder, and his excitement about building it has really got me excited. He even mentioned that he may add a 13-fret slope to his standard offerings, so who knows!

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-10-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 AM

Congratulations! I can't wait to see this one develop, the 13 fret neck is a particularly cool touch...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Love 13-fret guitars. Have 3 of em. Sounds like an interesting build. Thanks for letting us enjoy the journey with you.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM

Congrats, Dale!

Looking forward to seeing the guitar. For now I'll say the case looks very cool. Love the colour!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us, Dale. I'm looking forward to seeing, hearing, and playing this guitar!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Thanks for sharing this with us, Dale. I'm looking forward to seeing, hearing, and playing this guitar!
It's my pleasure John! I've had many guitars over the years, but I think I'm more excited about this one than any of the others. When Dale immediately embraced what I was hoping to achieve with this (a sloped shoulder dread that was comfortable for me to play), and after we discussed the specs/particulars and viability of bringing this guitar to realization, I got really jazzed-up about it!

There aren't many people I'd let play this guitar before me, but I'd consider it an honor to have you audition it for me before it gets shipped out. I sincerely admire your efforts to protect the history of Gibson guitars through the story of the Kalamazoo Gals (as well as your other humanitarian efforts), so who better to bless this Gibson-esque guitar before it makes it's trip to its forever home with me in Ohio? Consider it a small token of my appreciation; however, if you put a ding or scratch in it, I'm gonna be ticked!!!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-15-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I'll post 'em as I get 'em, so here you go. Got this one last night...the top is all braced up!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-20-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Love this! Great looking case too! Dale's guitars really float my boat and this one sounds like its gonna be amazing. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:38 AM
Charter Member

Getting about ready to close her up! Dale's craftsmanship is impeccable...clean as a whistle!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop